Explorer
Explorer
Big rig for serious off roading should have independent axles,
something like these Czech Tatras would be my first choice :B

http://youtu.be/xoG2Inl5PEg

stickbowjoe
Explorer
Explorer
I used to go every year to Moab just to watch people with more money than sense break stuff trying to do things which had not theretofore been done.

(A jeep axle, broken under extreme stress while trying to climb a near-vertical wall, sounds very much like a rifle shot, BTW.)

The Unimogs and their owners were always my favorites, year after year, though.

Cool machines, and very cool people. They didn't do such silly stuff.

They just crawled over impossibly difficult obstacles in their ridiculously tall, long, wide, and heavy trucks, and then had a picnic.

Joe
2012 Ram 3500 diesel, dually
2013 Lance 850
Pretty good truck, pretty good camper.
Just Sally (German Shorthair) and me,
full timing, and shooting and catching
most of our meat.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
sabconsulting wrote:
I'm certainly not doubting Lance's build quality and they are definitely nice than many of these bare-bones expedition pods. Remember that Unimogs have long travel coil spring suspension and many of the modern hyper-money heavy duty trucks I have seen converted to expedition vehicles also have much better suspension than these old military trucks

Steve agree on that, it would be a pretty firm ride and you would hope it does not go over really rough roads or too far.

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! $26,000 for the truck and $60,000 for the camper? I know it's overkill in terms of the truck, but really, a NEW engine and NEW Allison tranny and completely ready to go all the around at this level for $86,000 is a sweet deal! It wouldn't work for my needs, but for the right person they should jump at it! I do wonder how much further fabrication would have to be done to get the back ready for the camper?

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
(And those Mogs also have the beds on torsion free mounting system too....all of which would help ease the hammering on the camper). On that truck it might take an extra 10k pounds of dead weight (beer?) to make it ride better.

Nope, I'm in Oklahoma now....came here straight from west Texas on another job that got piggy-backed on the previous one. While working in Texas I managed to get to one national park and three state parks on my two weekends. Pretty nice having everything with me to do that stuff.
2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
btggraphix wrote:
Phones are a drag for posting but Steve I have seen some photos of Lances on Unimogs at those euro shows. I'm not saying it isn't harsh on them but these American TC's can hold up to some abuse and they are sure way the H more comfortable than the utility boxes that people live in on many Mogs.....

I got back from work today and almost drove right past my camper because my wide open spot suddenly got surrounded by giant 5ers and MH's! Like living in suburbia with neighbors 6 feet away. Not my cup of tea but better than living in a hotel. Here's to you eyecom.

Hi Brian,

I'm certainly not doubting Lance's build quality and they are definitely nice than many of these bare-bones expedition pods. Remember that Unimogs have long travel coil spring suspension and many of the modern hyper-money heavy duty trucks I have seen converted to expedition vehicles also have much better suspension than these old military trucks. Maybe this latest incarnation of deuce and a half has a more comfortable ride - mine was a 1944 model, but when I see them they just look like the same basic truck but with a more modern engine and transmission. They do have presumably radial-ply super-single tyres rather than dual DRW cross-ply set-up my truck had - that will make a big difference.

I admit your camper has done well on your truck, though again, your 4500 is a different beast to these old double-axle army trucks.

The trick to getting this to work on a deuce and a half might be making sure you really are carrying a lot of weight on the back (several tons) so the suspension is actually working for a living rather what mine did, which was not move at all and just bounce on its tyres.

Are you still in Texas?

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
Phones are a drag for posting but Steve I have seen some photos of Lances on Unimogs at those euro shows. I'm not saying it isn't harsh on them but these American TC's can hold up to some abuse and they are sure way the H more comfortable than the utility boxes that people live in on many Mogs.....

I got back from work today and almost drove right past my camper because my wide open spot suddenly got surrounded by giant 5ers and MH's! Like living in suburbia with neighbors 6 feet away. Not my cup of tea but better than living in a hotel. Here's to you eyecom.

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
SugarHillCTD wrote:

I would expect that the first rough road would shake the TC to pieces. Those trucks have some seriously stiff suspension.

Don't get me wrong, you may be completely right here....but I chuckle a bit because almost this exact same wording was used describing my camper truck combo when it came up on Craig's List after they came back from South America . Here I am 6 years and about 450 ish nights and 80k miles later and still rolling along. Heck, throw in there 1 year and this rig has roughly 750 nights and 110k miles on a very harsh stuff bumpy chassis and....OMG.....I have a slide that hasn't disintegrated! Egads! How can this be? Lance built a pretty damn solid TC and it is still going strong.

Sleepy, awesome post...

I did of course add a Kelderman air ride at some point in there to help ease our poor Lance from early onset arthritis and I think she appreciated that, but Lancezilla rolls on....

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Unless this proposed military vehicle has extensive suspension mods done, the alleged truck/Lance camper combo is a pretty bad match.

I would expect that the first rough road would shake the TC to pieces. Those trucks have some seriously stiff suspension.

If it is anything like the deuce and a half I drove when I worked for the National Park Service, I can't see any camper lasting very long. They make an empty dually seem like a Rolls-Royce.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting and I like the trucks, but I wonder if there is a bit of a mismatch in ruggedness here. Maybe I'm wrong, but trucks of this size, albeit more modern designs, are often made into extreme expedition vehicles - seen them at the German Abenteuer Allrad show. However they seem to have much more rugged looking accommodation pods on the back than the likes of our truck campers - pods that are designed to spend their lives being hammered over corrugated African dirt roads (and those are mounted to vehicles with better suspension than this). When I had a Deuce and a half (albeit a lot older than these trucks) I recall its suspension was about as compliant as rock - anything in the load bed got a really hard ride.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whether Lance will produce one? That is to be seen. Me? I certainly won't hold my breath for one. Why would Lance want to begin a precedence? I have been to the factory and it would be difficult to allocate the skilled labor and floor space, as well as supply line to produce one. Yeah, I'll wait to see it.

As I have driven these type of vehicles, many times, they are not in the same world as a properly built Overland Expedition vehicle.

Also, the photo only shows a crudely photoshopped Lance trailer, pasted onto the photo of a Military Heavy Duty truck. Concept vehicle? Sure! Reality, well we will need to wait. IMHO? Simply a car salesman toying with many options to attract buyers to purchase his wares.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
I'm amazed Lance can get $60,000 for a truck camper. That's what I paid for a new 32 1/2' motor home.

You really got a cheap motor home didn't you?

Anytime you get a custom product it requires a bump in the normal production line... and a huge increase in labor costs

Ask a builder to change the roof lines on a house in a housing development... see how much that adds to the final price.

The word "custom" often doubles the price.

The appliances in your cheap MH and the ones in the custom TC are the same... and so are the ones in my TC, and the ones in most TT's... they are all made by one or two manufacturers.

If you don't belive me... try building your own fully equiped RV.

Better still, buy all of the individual components and build your own truck... or your own car. BY all means... use 2014 parts from Autozone or Advanved Auto parts.

Cheap or expensive... nothing to brag about.
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I'm amazed Lance can get $60,000 for a truck camper. That's what I paid for a new 32 1/2' motor home.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
No gas required, the sign says Cummins, right?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member