cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7.3L Ford Diesel

Lgreen
Explorer
Explorer
I friend of mine has a 2003 F-250 with the 7.3L Diesel for sale that I am going to look at tomorrow. It has 75,000 miles on it, and I know it has had meticulous care (he is a retired heavy diesel mechanic).

As a reader of this forum, I am familiar with the reported issues with the Ford 6.0 and later engines (and do not want to restart that discussion in this thread). I am wondering what the known issues with this engine are, and what the expected longevity of this truck would be.

If I buy this truck, I will also be buying his 10,000 lb (empty) fifth wheel. I know that this engine does not have the power of the current generation of diesels. However, the complexity of the current diesels scares me, along with the cost.

I appreciate all the input that you all can provide.
L Green

2001 Silverado 2500HD, Ext Cab, Short Bed, 6.0L, 4.10 axle
2004 Laredo 27RL
65 REPLIES 65

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
majorgator wrote:
up2nogood wrote:

Limited experience 16 years :h Lets see ,I replaced the ball joints at 60K, I replaced the transmission cooler with the 6.0 ,the intercooler with the 6.0, replaced the exhaust with 4" turbo back, replaced stock air intake with the AIS air intake. Ran the Superchip for a few years ( remember now we are talking the 16 inexperienced years ) Switched to the DP tuner, finally started to run half decent for towing . Added gauges to monitor transmission ,boost, and ETG's. The early 99 had to run the conventional coolant with SCA, because injector cups etc. would not tolerate the extended life coolant, some tried without problems, I chose to flush ,and run the conventional every 30K. These thing were all done by this wannabe driveway mechanic.

Yes mine accelerated better with the upgrades, but towing was a different animal.The limiting factor with all the upgrades was ETG's , unless you replaced the intercooler with something that would let it run ,the 7.3 intercooler would not allow the power that was there. The 6.0 helped ,but still wouldn't let it run like it could. We can debate this all day, I know how they perform.

As I said...you had your experience with your truck. Other people have their own experiences with their own trucks. Its OK if your experience doesn't match theirs, but your experience doesn't automatically become the gospel. Congratulations on getting totally worked up for no reason and going on silly rant in response to something you took completely out of context.

What part of limited experience do you think I took out of context,.Limited experience, your words not mine. Silly rant pointing out things that need or should be done to make a 7.3 run , and perform half decent for towing, otherwise they are gutless, you may call it a silly rant, I just call it the facts.

My experience was the exact same experience that anyone who hooks up a heavy fifth wheel to a 7.3 . Some face the facts about them, and some don't, thats the big reason I don't tow a heavy fifth wheel with a 7.3 anymore.

The 7.3 is still yesterday's truck, and performed accordingly. It was a great truck with a great motor. My point was to let the OP know what he was actually getting into, instead of this nostalgic cult following he was getting to hear from some of you.

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
So op, did you buy it?

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
up2nogood wrote:

Limited experience 16 years :h Lets see ,I replaced the ball joints at 60K, I replaced the transmission cooler with the 6.0 ,the intercooler with the 6.0, replaced the exhaust with 4" turbo back, replaced stock air intake with the AIS air intake. Ran the Superchip for a few years ( remember now we are talking the 16 inexperienced years ) Switched to the DP tuner, finally started to run half decent for towing . Added gauges to monitor transmission ,boost, and ETG's. The early 99 had to run the conventional coolant with SCA, because injector cups etc. would not tolerate the extended life coolant, some tried without problems, I chose to flush ,and run the conventional every 30K. These thing were all done by this wannabe driveway mechanic.

Yes mine accelerated better with the upgrades, but towing was a different animal.The limiting factor with all the upgrades was ETG's , unless you replaced the intercooler with something that would let it run ,the 7.3 intercooler would not allow the power that was there. The 6.0 helped ,but still wouldn't let it run like it could. We can debate this all day, I know how they perform.

As I said...you had your experience with your truck. Other people have their own experiences with their own trucks. Its OK if your experience doesn't match theirs, but your experience doesn't automatically become the gospel. Congratulations on getting totally worked up for no reason and going on silly rant in response to something you took completely out of context.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Jasult want to double your money? That thing looks like new.

thanks but NO THANKS :B
I feel guilty when I drive it
Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Impressive... Our experience with Super Duty trucks for work and play are the best trucks on the road bar none.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jasult want to double your money? That thing looks like new.

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin, nice truck there and looks like new

Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin O. wrote:
jasult wrote:
I bought this sweet dually for four thousand dollars from a customer of mine or decided it was not worth the cost to repair trans. I have known truck since he bought it and always admired it. I all ready have four 7.3 trucks and know them inside and out so this was not getting past me. The torque was noisy and the feed bolts above the valve body came loose and caused no pressure in drive gear. I replaced converter, fixed feed bolts and added trans 6.0 cooler and PHP Hydra chip to improve towing.

WOW!! That's a deal of a lifetime! I paid quite a bit more for mine but it's still a fraction of the cost for a new one. My old girl might be coming up on her 15th birthday but she's lookin' damn good for her age!!!:B

KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
jasult wrote:
I bought this sweet dually for four thousand dollars from a customer of mine or decided it was not worth the cost to repair trans. I have known truck since he bought it and always admired it. I all ready have four 7.3 trucks and know them inside and out so this was not getting past me. The torque was noisy and the feed bolts above the valve body came loose and caused no pressure in drive gear. I replaced converter, fixed feed bolts and added trans 6.0 cooler and PHP Hydra chip to improve towing.

bump
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

jasult
Explorer
Explorer

Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Well, maybe I am crazy but I have had two 4R100's well past 130k and they were nearly perfect. A lot of them were replaced due to some shifting problems that may be able to be traced back to the valve body. Pretty easy fix.

Keep it cool, keep the fluid changed and don't join the HP war and the 4r100 is a pretty decent 4 speed transmission.

Add power...and yep.. you have decreased it's service life. That is NOT the fault of the transmission.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

You are correct, the biggest enemy was heat with the 4R100, the stock tranny cooler ,and no transmission heat gauge to know what was going on. If someone is going to buy one of these old 7.3's thats the first thing they better do is add a 6.0 cooler ,and gauge if they are going to tow anything very heavy .

Good friend of mine years ago towing a fifth wheel boiled the fluid right out the dipstick, and didn't have a clue until the damage was done. Bone stock 99 no gauge, and the crappy stock cooler.

6.0 coolers were the best thing that came along for 4R100, I have no doubt thats the main reason besides fluid changes that kept mine intact. I too was 140K when I traded it, and owned it since new until a year ago.

You probably proved my point a lot better then I did. If you want to start towing much over 10K most won't be very happy with the performance, so like many I started adding power, then dealing with ETG's, and transmission cooling etc etc.

As some like to point out its not a race towing, but its not enjoyable at 30 mph , when the new trucks of today pull the same hill ,with the same fifth wheel at the speed limit, and with ease compared to how hard that 7.3 was working .

We were all in the same boat more or less 10-15 years ago with these old diesels, we can go on ,and on about how great or not so great the old diesels are or were, but fact remains time has passed them by , and give a few years, and they will be forgotten just as the towing machines of the 80's ,and most of the 90's have been.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, maybe I am crazy but I have had two 4R100's well past 130k and they were nearly perfect. A lot of them were replaced due to some shifting problems that may be able to be traced back to the valve body. Pretty easy fix.

Keep it cool, keep the fluid changed and don't join the HP war and the 4r100 is a pretty decent 4 speed transmission.

Add power...and yep.. you have decreased it's service life. That is NOT the fault of the transmission.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
majorgator wrote:
up2nogood wrote:

No they don't do just fine ,they do okay. 10K empty maybe, but doubtful.

I thought maybe after owning a truck for nearly 16 years ( Early 99 Superduty 7.3 ) I would get a new one.

Somehow you guys ,and your nostalgic view of the 7.3 overshadow the facts . One of the worst transmissions ever built ( 4R100 ) CPS issues, wire harness problems, crappy OEM ball joints, and I could continue ,but its obvious its falling on deaf ears. Oh ! ya the 7.3 is a solid motor, thats been proven, but beyond that ,please don't try to tell me how great they are. They were great in their time, and it has passed. Get over it its a fact :S

Your opinion is apparently based upon your limited experience with your vehicle. That's OK, but there are countless others on this thread that have countered your opinion with their own/our own experiences. That's OK too. Nearly all the common problems that plagued the 7.3's are easy fixes that a driveway wannabe mechanic can fix inespensivley and fairly quickly. Nobody is debating that it has the same power as the newer diesels, but since most of us aren't looking to haul 18k lbs across steep grades, the 7.3 does JUST FINE. And as already mentioned, the 7.3 takes just a little bit of tweaking to get drastically more power out of it. That's a fact...

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin O. wrote:
Like I said, not everyone has the option of going out and purchasing a new $50-$70K tow vehicle. So if your having to buy used then the 7.3L is a damn good choice! Yes the 4r100 is the weakest link. But a one time purchase from BTS or John Wood along with a 6.0 trans cooler and you wouldn't have to worry about it again. Also if you think these trucks are well past their prime then why are they in such high demand and still fetching top dollar?? Now that's a fact...

Yes it is a great choice for a used truck, probably the best choice. I know they fetch top dollar, big reason I traded it after 16years , while it was still worth something. I agree thats a fact.

I agree the 7.3 is a solid engine, why do you think I drove it for 16 years. As with anything used, my point was to let the OP know more then this nostalgic view that most of you have. It won't be such a great truck when he has to start replacing transmission's, changing to the 6.0 cooler etc etc . Hopefully some of this stuff has been done, and it is not bone stock . If it is stock, he won't like the power, thats a fact.