Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A bit overweight?

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning,

I came across the below thread on ram forum this morning.

A bit overweight you think? Not good. While some may complain about the weight police, of which I am a sworn member of (lol), some folks just don't know any better, so we have our place. Haha.

Have a good day yall!

G

Overweight ram
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.
12 REPLIES 12

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey, most of the time a single cab, long bed, 2wd has the most payload of any available configuration so if any 1500 could do it it was probably that one (but obviously not!) Only other half ton with a better chance would be a F150 HD with the same configuration (3,300 max payload)
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

OBSPowerstroke
Explorer
Explorer
This guy has nothing on the setup I saw pulling out of a repair shop the other day. The guy was towing a 2006 30' Montana 5th Wheel with a single cab, long bed, 2wd Ram 1500.

Apparently he was at the shop getting new springs installed on the truck to keep it off the bump stops. As he pulled out of the bay, it may not have been quite on the bump stops, but the front of the truck was still shooting for the stars.

The scary part is I overheard him saying he used to drive long haul trucks for a living. I was glad he was long gone before I got back on the road.
Josh
'16 Ford F350
'11 Komfort Resort 240RK
Portland, OR

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW wrote:
Camper G wrote:
Seems to me a 30' toy hauler would put most half tons over their payload rating right? Half ton rams in general do not have very high payload ratings due to the coil spring rear suspension.

Seemed awfully low in the back to me. Maybe not though.

Have a good day guys
I agree that a 30 foot toy hauler is typically too big for a half ton. But the tongue weight can be easily managed simply by toy placement. The Ram 2500s also have coil rear suspension. I don't hear anybody complaining about lack of payload, not counting the power wagon of course.

Correct, the PW has a soft suspension for off roading. I think it's 2000 or less. Also, the half tons suspension is tuned for ride quality, but yes they are both coil sprung. I like it on my 17
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Camper G wrote:
Seems to me a 30' toy hauler would put most half tons over their payload rating right? Half ton rams in general do not have very high payload ratings due to the coil spring rear suspension.

Have a good day guys
I agree that a 30 foot toy hauler is typically too big for a half ton. But the tongue weight can be easily managed simply by toy placement. The Ram 2500s also have coil rear suspension. I don't hear anybody complaining about lack of payload, not counting the power wagon of course.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tvov wrote:
In that thread the person says he was 5,000lbs Over GCWR. Here we get excited when people might be 100 pounds over GCWR.

But another poster there said that the manufacturers recently changed how they rate trucks, so the guy would be okay towing that. I am not sure what to make of that.

It's a typo, he's 500 over.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
In that thread the person says he was 5,000lbs Over GCWR. Here we get excited when people might be 100 pounds over GCWR.

But another poster there said that the manufacturers recently changed how they rate trucks, so the guy would be okay towing that. I am not sure what to make of that.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer

Have a good day guys

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
fireman41 wrote:
I'm more concerned about the hitch the there are using. It looks like it just clamps onto a tube.

That's an add-on from Curt which is perfectly fine, if they add the bolt through the hitch to the bumper.

So I looked it up when the hitch is rated at 1000 lbs tounge and 10000 lbs trailer if used with a weight Distributing hitch. So if installed correctly it would be ok.
But personally I would have installed a complet new hitch.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Not configured very well, but doable. He's just barely over GAWR the way it was sitting.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
fireman41 wrote:
I'm more concerned about the hitch the there are using. It looks like it just clamps onto a tube.

That's an add-on from Curt which is perfectly fine, if they add the bolt through the hitch to the bumper.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you talking about the poster in the thread or the pic on the second page! the only issue I see is the poorly installed hitch in the pic. A properly equipped 1/2 ton Ram can handle 7k lbs.

Looks like he was improperly setup, too much tongue weight and poorly installed hitch.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer