cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

a frame popup

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
thinking about getting a a frame popup made by forest river flagstaff just wondering if I would need a weight distribution system for this type of popup, according to the sale person dry weight 2700 lbs
8 REPLIES 8

jackquontee
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Aliner Expedition (I would guess 2700lbs loaded) with about 450-500lbs tongue weight and tow it with a Tacoma without the WDH. It tows great.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Once you load up for camping, the tongue could be up around 400-450 lbs. The dry hitch weight they quote is without battery, LP, etc. Even so, the pickup should handle the weight fine. I'd try it without WD, and if you have any cause for unhappiness (headlights pointing too high to suit you, etc) you can always buy one later.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
my tv is a 2015 ford f150 tongue weight is 330 lbs

Cape_Cod_Mounta
Explorer
Explorer
If you are anywhere near the tow capacity of your TV,you should go for the weight distribution rig. 2700lbs is not particularly big. I had atv and trailer within 800lbs of max and the WD worked perfectly. Nice flat ride.
Destinations on purpose: Canada: Alberta, BC, Nove Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick. USA: ME,NH,MA,VT,NY,MT,WY,MN,MI,WI,GA,VA,FL,UT,CA,OR,ID,CO,NV,AZ
:BLife is Good
2009 Jayco 1206
2011 Toyota Tundra

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt it very much that you'll need a weight distribution hitch. I've seen several A-Liners in campgrounds and none were being towed with any WD.

Check the total weight you'll be towing. In some states, you might not even need brakes on the trailer. In Indiana if the total weight of the trailer is under 3000 pounds, brakes are not required at all. Some lightweight utility trailers and pop-ups don't even come with brakes on them in Indiana.

donmacnh
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure the Aliner classic is a good comparison. The current Aliner Classic weighs about 1500lbs dry.

My 2016 Aliner Ranger 15 (larger box than the classic) actual dry weight is 1800.

Aliners are lighter than the FR's, so if weight is a concern and wants an A-frame (they're awesome for 2 people) than he may want to look in that direction.

You may also want to double check what the salesman quoted. He may be right, but in general, they're not always as smart as they think they are. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2016 Aliner Ranger 15
2015 Tundra Ltd

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I have a buddy that has an A-Liner Classic. He tows it with a Chevy Traverse without any weight distribution or anti-sway bars without any issues at all.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on what you are towing it with and what it's hitch ratings are and...
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.