cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A most Excellent Season

Serenlyretired
Explorer
Explorer
Just closed my PUP yesterday after 4 months of camping (May though July plus the moth of September) at Old Lewiston Bridge Campground on the Trinity River at Lewiston, Ca. Set at the edge of both The Trinity Alps & Lewiston Lake I had a most wonderful time.
Among the high lights where.
Hiking up to Emerald Lake (a rise of 2,600' from trailhead) plus dozens of other hikes.
Watching a pair of Magnificent deer bucks in rut clashing their antlers in a battle royal for the affections of the watching does.
Many, Many kayak voyages on Lewiston Lake to fish, observe the incredible mix of waterfowl, otters, eagles (Osprey, Bald & Golden),Blue & Night Herons, beaver, water snakes etc.
Watching a Cougar take down a deer with efficacy unheard of in our government. Smile.
Several encounters with Black bears all ending peacefully.
White water Kayaking on the swift Trinity River
Hanging in Beautiful Historic Weaverville, especially Moma Llama's most excellent restaurant/coffee house plus Old Folks Prime Rib night at Marino's. Spaghetti at The Bears Breath Restaurant at Stuarts Fork.
Visits from my grandson for a real treat for both he & myself. City boy who so enjoys the wilderness experience, the nightly camp fires w/marshmallow roasts, the Fourth of Jul;y Celebration in Weaverville with parades, fireworks, BBQ, craft fairs, baseball etc.
A truly blessed 71'st Summer
6 REPLIES 6

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
How nice that you are able to do things on your own schedule!

Serenlyretired
Explorer
Explorer
tbred
I have been going to this area for 27 years the first 17 for the fall salmon run & for the last 10 since I retired for 2 to 4 months. This year was the first I split my time going home for August. Missed the super hot weather & was able to enjoy the early Fall cooler temperatures.

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
We are about ready to winterize ourselves. We only got out twice, but it was quality. Glad you also had a great season, makes you look forward to next.
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds wonderful, hope you took some pictures! Any plans for next season's voyage?

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you had quite a good time. We're just starting to get back into camping as the summers around here are so oppressive with the humidity. We love fall camping and even into overnight lows in the 30s. I still sweated around the campfire last weekend.

Eventually, probably around Thanksgiving, we'll turn it in for the winter but we've been known to pull it out and just go water-free for a spontaneous weekender.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Kudos on enjoying a great season! I closed my trailer last Saturday after an wonderful season that starting April with a trip from NY to Ft. Wilderness Campground at Disney in FL. A lot of good camping in between with the wife and grandkids. Now it's wait until Spring.