cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new adventure for me.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

I've been using my camper for work. I stay in it about 10 -11 nights every month. I work 4 days one week and 3 the next.

It a 270 mile round tri to my job.

Every other week the truck and camper come in and get a good going over and a good detailing on the inside of the camper.

Tomorrow morning I head out to work. I've never driven my truck with the camper on it in the snow. I doubt that there will be much anyway.

Temps are going to dip into the teens and low 20s at night with daytime highs in the 40s.

Should be a fun weekend. :B
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.
37 REPLIES 37

specta
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I'm curious about exterior maintenance. Water leaks kill most RVs !

I just do the regular maintenance keeping it sealed up tight.
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
restlessways wrote:
Hopefully this job pays mega bank, because I can't imagine having to live in a truck camper on the job site.

I do it for up to 16 days at a time. It's actually quite relaxing. No commute. Wake up, make coffee and breakfast, pull on the work clothes and you are there when you walk out the door. Lunch you have a full kitchen and private bathroom, end of the day you walk to the parking area go in the camper crack a beer, shower and have dinner and kick back.

I haul the US Mail. I'm gone 14+ hours a day. My work truck is parked right outside my door.
I stay in the camper two nights one week and three the next.
I stay at a friends and he supplies me with power and water and charges me $50 month.
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
restlessways wrote:
Hopefully this job pays mega bank, because I can't imagine having to live in a truck camper on the job site.

That's my choice.

It beats the hell out of staying in a motel and saves me big $$$$$$.
Kenny

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious about exterior maintenance. Water leaks kill most RVs !

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Buzzcut1 wrote:
restlessways wrote:

I do it for up to 16 days at a time. It's actually quite relaxing. No commute. Wake up, make coffee and breakfast, pull on the work clothes and you are there when you walk out the door. Lunch you have a full kitchen and private bathroom, end of the day you walk to the parking area go in the camper crack a beer, shower and have dinner and kick back.

^^^ and that right there is a slice of Heaven. lol, sounds like camping, minus go "hiking, fishing" and return home.

Work camping is actually quite relaxing; one is focused, can't worry about the stuff at 'home'.. Don't want to do it full time, but, it is good for the soul.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
restlessways wrote:

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

restlessways
Explorer III
Explorer III

specta
Explorer
Explorer

I added some insulation to the windows in the cabover with some bubble reflective foil insulation. Hoping it at least cuts back on the summer heat.

I remember when I thought the TC manufactures were crazy for eliminating the front window and these days I wish mine didn't have one.
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Reality Check wrote:
Nicely done. Good to hear from you too!!

Thank you.

My camper doesn't have the 4-season package soo I had to make it 4-season myself. 🙂
Kenny

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Nicely done. Good to hear from you too!!
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

specta
Explorer
Explorer

I bought these 12v tank heaters and installed them back in November.
They included heating pads for both drain valves.

I have two group 29 batteries and the second one is in the bed of the truck.
They are connected in parallel and I connected the heaters to the one in the bed.

I had an issue with the water line going to the toilet when the temps
dropped into the low teens so I bought a 12v heat tape, zip tied it to
the water line and covered it with pipe insulation.

Right now its 21° outside and the heating pads are 42°.

All of them are self regulating so there's no reason to turn them off.
I do unplug the power source once the warmer weather returns.
Kenny

BigSwick
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the information. It appears they don't make tie downs for Ford, GM, or Ram newer than 2017.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Happijac was recommend by Lance for YEARS!!! Almost forever.
Kenny

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
BigSwick wrote:
I am new to truck campers, so there is a lot I don't know. But curious about the tiedowns. Looks like a big camper to be just attached just to the bed and not the frame. I know with my Cirrus 820 and an aluminum body truck I wouldn't want to do it.

Believe it or not. Happy Jack was the recommended brand for Lance at least years ago. I don't know if they still are or not. Lance has done a few things differently including their front struts.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member