cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A warning for my BBQ'ing friends

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had a rash (5) of folks going to the ER with steel bristles lodged in their tongue/throat lately. Everything is being made cheaper these days and I guess BBQ brushes are no exception.

The recommendation is to wipe down your grill with a wet cloth after brushing. ๐Ÿ™‚
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
40 REPLIES 40

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Came across this article and decided to bring this topic back up to share.
Root of teenโ€™s mystery ailment: tiny wire from barbecue brush

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
INSAYN wrote:
I use a pumice grill stone.

Wire brushes don't work well for me.

This is a good way to go.

A wee bit off topic but applicable...... years ago I bought what I thought was a good tooth brush, but got a nasty, infectious gum infection from a loose bristle that lodged itself under my gums. It meant minor surgery. And I healed fast.

I don't remember what the occasion was that I actually brushed my teeth.

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
I use the thin edge of a cedar siding Shake/shingle. The shake develops grooves as you push back and forth against the grill and wraps around to clean the sides. No stray metals deposited and a clean grill. I think it may actually add a slight cedar flavor to the BBQ to boot.

When I purchased my house 16 years ago I had to tear off and replace the 40 year old cedar shake shingle roof. I saved all of shingles and have used them for the BBQ also. Another plus to that is that when you wear them out you can use them for the campfire.

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Used the cedar shingle on the hot grill method at the pnw rally this weekend. Grilled about 16 burgers and 20 chicken thighs. Food was grilled and smoked seeming to disappear as fast as it would come off the grill. No injuries reported from any of the test subjects. The cedar shake method has once again been proven safe. Best of all, the hungry heathens were kind enough to be satisfied and did not hang the chef.

INSAYN
Explorer
Explorer
I use a pumice grill stone.

Wire brushes don't work well for me.
1997 F350 CrewCab PSD 4x4, auto.
2005 SnowRiver 8'10", Loaded + EU2000i.
2005 8.5'x16' Interstate West Cargo trailer, Line-X'ed
2005 16' Fish-Rite Rogue welded aluminum boat, 2005 40HP Yamaha 2-stroke O/B.

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:

Well I was a restaurant chef for about 12 years.....

:S Well you should have said something sooner! Buzzcut1, Let's go camping!! :B

Glad to see I'm not the only person with the industrial wire brush sitting next to their grill. ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Budster wrote:
covered wagon wrote:
Budster, wouldn't it be healthier to grill on a flat piece of steel for iron in the food? I heard to get rid of all teflon cookware so we did.

whatever works for you, that's why we all have lot's of choices, this works for me! Do it your own way and enjoy :W

Your right Jerry Teflon really sinks my boat.

I won't cook on that stuff and plastic coffee makers... yuk... tastes like your licking a new car dash board. He he he

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
My grill has 72 sq. ft. of grilling surface. Well, really 24 sq. ft. of grilling surface and 48 sq. ft. of smoking surface.

What, just ONE CHICKEN?

This weekend I am smoking 200 lbs. brisket and 60 lbs. pork.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I have never used a brush. Just heat and a scraper.

Budster
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
Budster, wouldn't it be healthier to grill on a flat piece of steel for iron in the food? I heard to get rid of all teflon cookware so we did.

whatever works for you, that's why we all have lot's of choices, this works for me! Do it your own way and enjoy :W
ymmv,
Jerry
2000 Lazy Daze 30' IB

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
I use the thin edge of a cedar siding Shake/shingle. The shake develops grooves as you push back and forth against the grill and wraps around to clean the sides. No stray metals deposited and a clean grill. I think it may actually add a slight cedar flavor to the BBQ to boot.

I like that! ๐Ÿ™‚
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I usually buy the brass bristle grill brush. Seems to be holding up for many years so far.

After using only stainless coffee makers, I can sure taste the difference when someone offers me some coffee brewed in a plastic coffee maker, but, that's a bit off topic.

Budster
Explorer
Explorer
I dont have to clean my grill anymore........... :C
I use a teflon/silicone sheet that I found at the RV show in Quartzsite, I was skeptical at first but some friends bought it and it worked great. You still get the grill marks on the food. It works great for fish as it doesn't stick. Grilling asparagus there is no fear of one falling through. Works great on onion slices. I could go on and on. I bought several and use them at home and on the road.

some links below:
this one can also be used as an oven mat

E-Bay has a bunch listed

more choices

let me google that for you
ymmv,
Jerry
2000 Lazy Daze 30' IB

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
I don't clean my grill often - adds to the flavour.

The few times I have I just grabbed a welding brush from the garage. I do have to make sure I use the dirty brush I use on steel rather than the nice clean brush I keep for aluminum - I'm not sure how frequent BBQ grease weld contamination is, but its unlikely to look good. Plus it would make you seriously hungry as the TiG torch hits that grease and releases the aroma of last week's sausages.

Buzzcut - that blackening on the chicken - I hope you're not blaming that on the BBQ brush ๐Ÿ™‚

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2