cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A year with my pop up. Lessons learned

Jeff10236
Explorer
Explorer
So, I bought my 2003 StarCraft 2406 about a year ago. With how much I was looking forward to finally getting a pop up, I am not really happy with it and will be selling it after my current trip. Here are some lessons learned.

1) I will not replace it until I own a house with a garage or have cheap storage lined up. My new apt will not let me keep it there. It almost got towed and I got a $300 abandoned vehicle ticket for keeping it on my old street less tnan a week after I changed my address. Most local storage lots around here are nearly $100 a month (way too much for a 13yr old ~$3000 pop up). A lot managed by the HOA (Columbia Association) is just under $300/yr but I may be on the waiting list a long time.

2) It is a lot more work than I remember from my parents pop up from my youth. It wouldn't be bad if I had a family and could share duties, but for a single person (with a bad back) it is a lot of work. When the weather is mild (spring and fall) I prefer a tent. If I buy again while still single (or married without kids and the need for more sleeping space) I'll just get a TAB or similar lightweight trailer.

3) My next pop up will be smaller and simpler. See #2 above less to set up would be nice. I will pay close attention to what is needed to set it up, and I'll definitely get a powered lift system.

4) I will buy newer. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person and I need to have someone fix what goes wrong (it can get expensive). On my drive here, the tail lights worked but none of the other lights did. It also blew a fuse a few minutes ago causing the interior lights to die though at least I am capable of fixing that. A newer pop up (esp if bought new) should have less go wrong.

5) On some positive notes... I love the bunk end fans I got, they really do help circulate air where you need it. I still love camping, whether In a tent or pop up. As I get older I'm less tolerant of extreme heat and humidity than I used to be. Without the pop up's AC allowing me to escape the heat when needed there is no way I'd be camping and enjoying the outdoors this week.

Bottom line, I'm selling. I'm going back to just my tents when temps allow it, the rest of the time I'll rent a pop up, TAB or similar lightweight or a cabin until I'm ready to buy again.

In the meantime, I'm off to find a fuse then enjoy the rest of my Virginia Beach/Williamsburg trip.
Tow Vehicles: 2016 Kia Sorento LX V6 (sold)
Other vehicles: 2019 Hyundai Sonata Sport, 2021 Hyundai Ioniq EV (a hatchback so great for tent camping, but needs an electric hook up to charge the car)
Camper: 2003 Starcraft 2406 (sold)
Several tents
29 REPLIES 29

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that I would never want a PUP if I was camping single. As a family of four with teens, we nearly always setup in less than 30 minutes. Since I bought Anderson Levelers it's 15 minutes. Yes, it made that much difference because not only does it level faster it is simply more level which makes the door easier. The door has always been a pain on my 15 yr old PUP.

I do view it as a very nice tent and I did come from tent camping. We will upgrade to a TT or RV eventually but the PUP has served our family well. Not paying for storage is a huge plus. I wouldn't by a PUP without on-site storage at my house.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

manualman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is your crank at bend-over level? That's another feature I love about my Coleman: Waist level crank placement on the rear of the camper. No bending during cranking. It's not on all Colemans, just their mid trim and up. Some folks also use a hi torque cordless drill to crank her up. I've never seen the point as my camper isn't very tiring to crank. Then again, I don't have an AC unit on the roof weighing it down either.

Jeff10236
Explorer
Explorer
Pira114, the lift is a crank. Mine takes some serious time and effort to raise the roof. By the time I'm done my back is hurting. The bunk supports don't help (especially since mine has 4 per bunk, not the 2 per that my parents' pop up had in the 80's) but the strength needed for the crank hurts my back more. I noticed when I was shopping pop ups that Coachman and their corporate cousins now have the cables for the bunks. That, plus a power lift system and an overall simpler pop up with fewer features and I probably would be a lot happier.

Manualman, yes the lack of a good storage option has been a headache. When at my old apt Baltimore City would issue a $30 ticket every couple months but within days of changing my address they hit me with a $300 abandoned vehicle ticket (issued 2hrs before I picked it up for my current trip BTW). The issue with the lights when driving (probably corrosion in the harness) was probably caused by being out in the elements all the time (hopefully a simple cover will help in the future). But yes, if it wasn't for the storage situation I'd probably keep it, and once I am off the waiting list for the community RV storage I'll probably be back in the market for a simpler pop up, an A-frame or a lightweight trailer.

As for setting up camp, that part isn't so bad. When I go with friends I have help and when I go alone I go minimalist. I keep my dry foods in a bag or Rubbermaid container, my spices are in ziplock bags, and cold stuff gets put right in the fridge (in the camper) or stays in the cooler (tent camping). Sometimes I bring a portable Coleman grill, and I don't take the camp stove out of the car until I need it. The worst part is my screen tent since the particular Kelty I have is not user friendly. So that only comes when camping with friends, and I need to buy a more user friendly model soon.
Other vehicles: 2019 Hyundai Sonata Sport, 2021 Hyundai Ioniq EV (a hatchback so great for tent camping, but needs an electric hook up to charge the car)
Several tents

Jeff10236
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
What is your tow vehicle?

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

I've been looking at a LOT of small trailers.

So far the best bang for the buck (new) is the Coachmen Viking ultralite series.
They are much nicer than similar trailer by Pacific Coachworks, Gulfstream and FOrext RIver.

2016 Kia Sorrento LX with the V6. With the V6 and AWD it is rated for 5000LBS, with the V6 and FWD (what I have) or the turbo 4cyl with either FWD or AWD if is rated for 3500. It tows really well within its limits (my pop up is probably in the 2600-2800LB range in actual on the road weight). Given that the AWD is rated for 5k and the only difference is the AWD system (brakes, suspension, trans, engine are all the same) I can probably get closer to my 3500LB rating than usual, but I don't want to get too crazy.

Age, 46
Several tents

manualman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The loss of #1 was a huge headache for you though, no? Ours waits patiently in the third garage bay and isn't needy at all however long it waits. That's really nice.

Back pain from a pup usually happens only if I'm in a hurry and don't use my head properly. I do have a Coleman with the "back saver" bar brackets which really do work well. Place the bars in place under zero load, get out from under and lift the bunk until it clicks. This lifting is done standing straight up with no bending. Very nice. The newer cable supports sound nice too. Never seen one.

Setting up the pup is fast. Setting up CAMP takes the time. Lawn chairs, lantern, water jug, picnic table cloth, kid toys, awning, grey water bucket, outside kitchen kit. I get that done and I'm in the next hour (and sweaty). Still worth it compared to all the costs and downsides of full size RVs to me though.

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I don't get how a power lift will be better for your back. All the manual ones I've seen have a crank handle.

The support bars for the beds are where most people complain, as they use their backs to lift the bed slightly to get the bars in. If that's the case, a power lift won't really change anything will it?

I'm looking for a new PUP, and I've seen Coachmans that use a cable support for the beds instead of bars underneath. That might help. They also had power lifts.

As for general set up, I used to have a 1976 StarCraft PUP. Set up was 10 min tops and I don't see new ones being worse. I have a really easy to set up 10x20 cabin tent and the PUP was still easier to set up.

You're right about the outside set up. Basically the same set up time and hassle for me regardless of whether it's a trailer or tent. My outdoor kitchen and separate screen tent require the same effort and time regardless.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
What is your tow vehicle?

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

I've been looking at a LOT of small trailers.

So far the best bang for the buck (new) is the Coachmen Viking ultralite series.
They are much nicer than similar trailer by Pacific Coachworks, Gulfstream and FOrext RIver.
Bob

Jeff10236
Explorer
Explorer
manualman wrote:
I have learned that the key to popup ownership bliss is when you can:
1. Keep it at home in the garage.
2. Tow it with the 3,500# rated vehicle you prefer driving the rest of the time (no dedicated tow vehicle needed)
3. Expect the world's nicest tent, not a foldup RV.

If you don't check all three, you'll end up being somebody who "upgrades" in short order. If you CAN check all three, you won't consider anything else an upgrade.

Given your criteria I should be in the love it camp. I'm only missing #1 and add previous experience since my parents had one when I was a teen and I loved it (though theirs was smaller, with fewer features and set up was easier and simpler). If (probably when) I get another pop up I will have the salesman put it up for me and then do it myself (to see that it has fewer steps than mine), it will have a power lift system (to protect my bad back), it won't have a shower (never used it) or toilet (I think a simple, portable port-a-potty would be easier than the integrated cassette toilet), and it will be newer (or probably new) so I can maybe have a year or two before problems develop (my first major repair expense on mine was last summer right after my first trip).

As for #2, I should have bought the AWD version of my vehicle, it has a 5K LBS tow rating v. my FWD's 3500. That is why if I get a non-pop up trailer it will be a TAB or similar and not a hybrid (many hybrids are under 3500 but would give no leeway for gear, passengers, and safety margin). An A-frame may also be a good alternative if I don't have kids when I buy.

As for #3 I still love tent camping when it isn't too hot. In fact, I still go tent camping and I'll probably replace 2 of my tents with a Kodiak or Springbar soon. I always wanted a pop up because it is more tent-like (though I do like the idea of a real bathroom, and the ability to use it on the road, in a regular trailer).
Several tents

Jeff10236
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
Buying a new fuse and changing it is the easy part. Determining why the old fuse blew may be the harder question. Some lights working and others not and then blowing a fuse may suggest a bear wire making contact with something and shorting out.

Two separate issues. The interior 12v electrical (the outlets and interior lights) all went out at once.

The some working (tail lights) and some not (running lights, brake lights, and turn signals) are outside and probably corrosion in the trailer's electrical harness. I will try canned compressed air (the type used with computers) in case there is a physical blockage but I don't expect it to work and expect to need to take it in to an RV shop.
Several tents

manualman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have learned that the key to popup ownership bliss is when you can:
1. Keep it at home in the garage.
2. Tow it with the 3,500# rated vehicle you prefer driving the rest of the time (no dedicated tow vehicle needed)
3. Expect the world's nicest tent, not a foldup RV.

If you don't check all three, you'll end up being somebody who "upgrades" in short order. If you CAN check all three, you won't consider anything else an upgrade.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
We just sold our pop up that we had for 9 years. We loved that little camper, and we never had any problems with it. We were lucky, that we could store it in our garage. Easy to tow and store, and the A/C did really well even on the gulf coast in the summer.

Probably would have kept it, but my mother in law is now widowed, and has started to travel with us, and she gets tired in the heat, and being inside a pop up half the day is not much fun for her. We bought a TT with a bunkhouse.

I will admit I don't miss the set up and take down pre and post trip, that was the worst. I am enjoying the easy set up with push button awning, jacks, and slides. It even has a remote control and you can sit in a chair with your beverage of choice while setting up. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'd recommend one to someone looking at starting to camp, and for young families. My kids have had many great trips on Ol' Poppy.

Sorry it didn't work for you, but you will probably be able to sell for as much as you paid for it, so at least you won't take a big financial hit.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
We owned a pop up for several years when we lacked a large enough property to store a trailer and a good tow vehicle to pull a bigger unit. I wouldn't say I regret owning it and we did have some really good times in it, but I'll never own one again. RVs in general aren't built particularly well and pop ups tend to be the crud of the crud, even though ours was on the upper end of the pop-up spectrum. Setup and tear down is a hassle, both at the campsite and at home for preparing/emptying. They're not great in extreme temperatures, nor are they great for traveling with lots of overnights or staying at an urban destination as a hotel replacement (security, noise, etc).

We've really enjoyed our fifth wheel a lot more and expect we'll stick with this style of camper or perhaps a fifth wheel toy hauler from here on out.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Buying a new fuse and changing it is the easy part. Determining why the old fuse blew may be the harder question. Some lights working and others not and then blowing a fuse may suggest a bear wire making contact with something and shorting out.

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
It's good to read "reality" based posts like yours once in awhile. I have my days when I wish I was checking into a hotel instead of a campground. " I do it for the dogs." Good luck with your decisions.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
The tent is not a bad option. We have a FW, but it's too big for some of the remote camping we'd like to do. I've looked for a used, small pop-up to keep things simple because when we tent in those remote places, it's a lot of work for us with everything that's needed, plus dogs and their accessories! But, for now, we will stick with the tent as needed as it doesn't require an investment. Have you thought of getting a pickup and pop up pickup camper?
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton