cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding a Fox landing to an earlier model AF camper

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 2010 AF811. I WANT THE FOX LANDING!!

I've went arse-over-teakettle (ATK) out the back door once and have a scar to prove it.

I was at Torklift Monday and asked about the bumper. From previous research, I know the Fox Landing bumper has longer struts on it, to give it more support on the camper frame.

I asked Torklift if they knew whether or not the framing in the belly of the AF campers changed to accommodate the Fox Landing style bumper. The Torklift tech said it didn't, when I referred to my 2010 AF811.
I can't say if the structure in earlier campers changed or not.

The Fox Landing is a porch which attaches to the bumper. The bumper to accommodate it is taller too, in addition to having the longer struts (brackets).

Many dealers will say "No, you can't put a Fox Landing on an earlier AF." It's a partially true statement, because they assume someone wants to buy the porch and put it on their standard bumper. It can't bolt up because there isn't enough height to the standard bumper.

I called AF and they said the same thing Torklift did when I specifically asked about my 2010 811.

At the local dealer, I got prices for the porch (Fox Landing) and the new bumper:
(sit down when reading this, it's not cheap)
$975 for the bumper
$750 ish for the Fox Landing and the dual step.

It's an upgrade I will think more about through the winter.

I haven't ruled out upgrading to a new AF811 to get the new features (Fox Landing, power rear awning).

The way the market is in Eastern, WA I could sell mine and make money on it I reckon.

If someone is considering the upgrade, I'd recommend contacting AF to ask about the underbelly framing in your year of camper.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
10 REPLIES 10

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Can the glow steps be shortened to accommodate different height requirements?

One thing I noticed about the Fox Landing is the door can't be opened when it's folded up. That's one drawback while on the road.... drop the landing, then fold out the steps.... then fold it all back up when you leave the rest area, grocery store, etc..
I can't leave it down because I tow a trailer, the landing and the tongue jack won't get along well together.

I bought a 4 step Glow Step but eventually removed one of the treads to make it a 3 step. There are times when the rear end of the TC is up higher, depending on where we are camped, where the 4 steps would be better. If thats the case I may have to raise up the bottom of the steps, but usually the 3 step works well in most situations. Its not hard to remove one of the treads if you have to. The nice thing about the glow step is I just collapse it, secure it shut with the locking arm, and just let them hang under the bumper. They do not interfere with the trailer tongue even while making sharp turns.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Bedlam
You can see in my photo that the tongue jack of most enclosed trailers interferes with the Fox Landing - This was the reason I did not get one. You could get around this problem by having a longer extension. But with my heavy trailer and light truck, I needed to keep the SuperTruss as short as possible.

The steps do have some latitude in height differences, but adding or removing steps is a slow process.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Can the glow steps be shortened to accommodate different height requirements?

One thing I noticed about the Fox Landing is the door can't be opened when it's folded up. That's one drawback while on the road.... drop the landing, then fold out the steps.... then fold it all back up when you leave the rest area, grocery store, etc..
I can't leave it down because I tow a trailer, the landing and the tongue jack won't get along well together.

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
With any AF you can also mount the Glow Steps off to the right side and use the ladder as your grab handle. We run this way most of the time. Just make yourself a few pipe spacers, longer bolts, and a little ingenuity.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Bedlam
Here's a naked view:

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I really need to get me a set of the Rock Tamer mud flaps.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Bedlam wrote:
Did you realize that the GlowSteps can be used with the trailer attached? We use the steps with GlowGuide without disconnecting often - Just crank the truck over to the driver side.

DOH!

That would work for me some of the places I go. A lot cheaper too!

Bedlam
Did you realize that the GlowSteps can be used with the trailer attached? We use the steps with GlowGuide without disconnecting often - Just crank the truck over to the driver side.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I'd like a cheaper alternative to the FL, but I'm pretty limited to my options since I always tow a trailer, and when I set up camp, I leave the trailer connected.

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
I checked on the prices for my 2010 1140 right after the FL came out. After I heard you needed a new rear bumper, and then the total cost of the bumper and the Fox Landing, I instantly fell back in love with my Glow Steps. I would definitely option out the Fox Landing on a new camper purchase since I think they are great. But for now I will continue to use what I have. I agree the Fox Landing and the power rear awning are both nice upgrades. I would love to have both.