cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Dinette Doors

Gaffer222
Explorer
Explorer
Cut out the holes today but I bought the wrong hinges. Hopefully after a trip to HD I can complete this mod today. More pics to come..

Click For Full-Size Image.
2007 Ford Expedition Limited w/Tow package & 3.73 Rear end
Equal-i-zer & Prodigy
2015 Keystone Outback Terrain 250TRS
DW, DD Circa 2002, DD Circa 2005
21 REPLIES 21

Gaffer222
Explorer
Explorer
camp4ever wrote:
Gaffer222 wrote:
camp4ever wrote:
Was the distance between the "studs" 19.5"? My sidewall is 1 1/8" thick... It's not luan, will have to figure out a different method of cutting it.

19.25"

I wonder if the entire dinette sidewall on your setup is structural like the TT walls? If that's the case I would be hesitant to cut out a hole unless you reinforce with a framed structure to keep the dinette seat sturdy.

Is it possible the inside of the dinette is boxed in with a panel similar to the exterior.

This is what I have, strange that the same company builds things so differently..

This is looking down

This is looking from the inside out

That end panel is definitely part of the structure that holds the dinette together. I would not cut a hole for the doors unless you add some additional framing.
Equal-i-zer & Prodigy

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice job. My trailer came with the doors already in place and I use a similar plastic tub but no wheels as it does not have anything very heavy in it.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

camp4ever
Explorer
Explorer
Gaffer222 wrote:
camp4ever wrote:
Was the distance between the "studs" 19.5"? My sidewall is 1 1/8" thick... It's not luan, will have to figure out a different method of cutting it.

19.25"

I wonder if the entire dinette sidewall on your setup is structural like the TT walls? If that's the case I would be hesitant to cut out a hole unless you reinforce with a framed structure to keep the dinette seat sturdy.

Is it possible the inside of the dinette is boxed in with a panel similar to the exterior.

This is what I have, strange that the same company builds things so differently..

This is looking down

This is looking from the inside out
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2004 Ford Explorer w/ Towing Package
2014 Passport 2300 BH

dmullen
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Nice touches

I have used unpainted doors from LOWES to do the same thing. They may not exactly match the same design cut for the trailer but if you group likes together it looks great to me...

Roy Ken

Great idea. I'm going to look into that.

Gaffer222
Explorer
Explorer
camp4ever wrote:

19.25"

Equal-i-zer & Prodigy

camp4ever
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2004 Ford Explorer w/ Towing Package
2014 Passport 2300 BH

Gaffer222
Explorer
Explorer
dmullen wrote:
Did you order the doors from the manufacturer?

I had the doors included from Keystone when I bought the TT as part of the deal. They did not give me the hardware so I bought that at Home Depot.
Equal-i-zer & Prodigy

dmullen
Explorer
Explorer
Did you order the doors from the manufacturer?

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice touches

I have used unpainted doors from LOWES to do the same thing. They may not exactly match the same design cut for the trailer but if you group likes together it looks great to me...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Gaffer222
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
Good idea, do you have something for the rear wheels to ride on? I couldn't tell from the pics.

I just completed making a drawer and it works very well but as ADK Camper said, your idea is "much lighter and simpler than a drawer".

The rear wheels just roll on the floor under dinette seat until you pull it out to the end where the bin rides on the bottom frame member.
Equal-i-zer & Prodigy

Gaffer222
Explorer
Explorer
dmullen wrote:
Looks great! What procedure did you use to cut the holes?

I used the Ryobi multi tool(see below). I used painter's tape on the outside to minimize chipping.

Equal-i-zer & Prodigy

dmullen
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great! What procedure did you use to cut the holes?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good. Nice job. Glad you got the pics fixed also

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice work. I like the bin idea.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread