cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding vinyl curtains around a TC?

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
While out at a festival where I dry camp, a couple other people use truck campers. Once they have gotten their TCs in place and lowered onto sawhorses or 2x4s, they use a vinyl curtain (which is custom fitted to the TC) which is attached by turnbuckles and staked down at the bottom, placed all around the bottom of the TC, creating a decent storage area under the bed part, similar to the space under the fifth wheel kingpin that can be used if skirted off.

Since I plan to leave my TC there during the festival run, I wonder how feasible this would be to do. Adding turnbuckle fasteners makes more holes (and that is a big concern for me.) However, it would turn what is normally airspace that the wind blows through into still, dead air, where one could set an electric heater or even a 100 watt light bulb to keep that space above freezing in the relatively mild Texas winter.

Has anyone done this? Just soliciting opinions if this is something to add onto the growing "must-have accessories" list.
2 REPLIES 2

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen a company sell skirting that has a Reflectix backing which is is very similar to what you mention. Instead of duct tape, it would be nice to go with Velcro or a removable fastener that doesn't compromise water resistance. Of course, vents need to be minded so the generator exhaust and the furnace are not covered.

The door you mentioned is something I'd like to do as well, as it would allow plenty of storage underneath. With a decent battery bank (especially once I get this solar trailer built), I can run a 100 watt light bulb or a Lasko "personal" electric heater in that space overnight. I like this idea because it means less work on the furnace at night as a good chunk of air the camper is exposed to will be warmer, as it breaks the wind.

Of course, it would be easy to remove the panels and put them away so the camper is ready to use the rest of the year.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Some friends fulltime in their 5th wheel and travel with a company to job sites throughout the US. Instead of a vinyl shower curtain, they utilize the 1/2" paperbacked or foil-backed styrofoam insulation. They attach it to the underside of their trailer using duct tape or gorilla tape and they have painted it to match their 5th wheel. They were able to cut it to fit and numbered it to reuse. It adds very little weight to travelling. It is not expensive and they did their entire trailer with 5 or 6 sheets and a roll of tape. They even cut out a door to put items in/out under the kingpin area. It is reusable and allows them to winter in places that they would not normally be able. They use a couple of light bulbs to heat underneath. I don't know if this would work for you, but it will give you something to think about.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW