cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Additional support in base of garden shower

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
We have a garden shower in our 2604 and love it. However....the base seems to have more flex than we are crazy about. We take our DS#1 to FL every spring and he needs to have a shower bench. The one in his bathroom is the larger size that you can sit down and slide across. Looking at buying just a smaller size one for the trip(s). There is a front access panel that DH is going to take off this weekend and have a look to see if it's possible to add some support in this area - 2 x 4's or similar. Has anyone done this and what was involved. DH is 6'3" and I'm 5'6", probably average weight plus a smidge maybe and DS#1 is 6'4" and about 270# but having the 4 legs of a shower bench makes us think we need additional support. Ideas?? Done it??
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!
7 REPLIES 7

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Well, Plan A is done. We do not have a heat vent under the shower in our Rockwood Ultra lite 2604, so I could remove the access panel and see everything clearly.

The shower in our trailer sits on a 5/8" plywood shelf that is cut to fit the bottom of the shower allowing for the drain in the middle. On top of the plywood is a 1/2" thick pc of foam like the foam used in making formed packing trays. This is the problem because as you use the shower, this foam compresses and creates a gap between the bottom of the shower and the plywood shelf and this is where the flexing comes from.

My fix was to make a bridge that fits across the front of the shelf with a large surface of Velcro to keep the shower bottom snug against the remaining foam/plywood shelf. The Velcro keeps the shower bottom from flexing up.

I do have pictures but am not posting here. If you would like to see them, PM me with your e-mail address and I will send them to you.

The bottom line is that the flexing does not appear to be a structural problem, it is just annoying.

DadH

2003 Ford F-150
Sam, you were the best!

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we'll have an answer to this soon. Getting ready to head out to Rocky and see what's what. Fingers crossed that this is an easy fix. Details later today.

2003 Ford F-150
Sam, you were the best!

kayakcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone who posted to this problem. It's on my "honey-do-list" in our 242RESL for the spring. Been dreaming about using some of these turnbuckles http://www.homedepot.ca/product/9-3-8-inch-zinc-eye-eye-turnbuckle/818221?gclid=CP79nbGfzLwCFepFMgodJWEAQg&ef_id=UOw0ugAAE0BkC0Fw:20140214182742:sand some 2 X 2's to make an adjustable stand. We have a few more months of snow here so will keep dreaming for now.

rgolding
Explorer
Explorer
The shower bench will create "hard spots" and concentrate the load in the area of the legs of the bench, much like a women's high heel. I think when you remove the panel you may find some support in the middle of the shower pan. I believe I would remove that small support and replace it with a piece of 3/4 inch plywood covering as much of the area of the shower floor/pan as you can. Then put shorter support legs under that plywood, maybe in 4 corners and the middle. Really should be a pretty easy and sound fix. You can probably hold it in place with a glue like "Goop".
Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan
Southern Illinois

2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS "Low Key"

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
The feeling dadmomh is probably referring to is a bit of "sponginess" in the floorpan just inside the door. At least that is how it is in my RV which is related to dadmomh's. The panel that is below the door is basically just large enough for the hot air vent located in the panel, so installing any substantial, solid feeling supports in that area will be a challenge. Expanding foam will not mitigate the sponginess, in my opinion; the support has to be stiffer for it to feel right under foot.

I'd be interested to see how others have addressed this issue.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
If you have access, and there is some structural support present, you could try minimally expanding foam insulation under the tub. It swells to fill the voids, then dries hard. I've done this in a residential setting with good results (I entered through the crawl space and sprayed the insulation from underneath).

rav
Explorer
Explorer
I added support in my last TT- just a few well placed boards. he will know what to do when he opens the panel. everyone is little different. ours they cut through a support for the drain, I was able to support each side and the shower pan felt a lot better.