Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on keystone models

Mjbrs
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there,
We are newbies to the RV world. We have narrowed our choices down to two keystone models. A 2009 Sprinter Select 31BH or a 2012 Passport ultra lite grand touring 3220 QBH. The passport is in better shape and seems to have better finishes, but it is $3000 more. The Sprinter seems sturdier and is the cheaper option, but is older and needs some work (e.g. ThE sofa is in rough shape). We plan to park the trailer and be "off-grid" with a generator and filling up the water tank as needed. We will not be towing it around. We have three children, ages 2 - 11, hence the need for quad bunks. Any advice on these models or the pros and cons of ultra lites would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Jason
7 REPLIES 7

Piddlers
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Keystone Passport Elite 31RE and have had ZERO issues with it. We really enjoy the trailer and would definitely purchase another in future years. The only time our trailer has been back to the dealer for anything, was actually for the air conditioner wiring recall and that was a simple fix.

All systems have worked great and we enjoy the trailer.

Best wishes to you for whichever trailer you choose!

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
We have a 2011 Keystone Bullet Premier. It would be constructed more like the Passport you are looking at. We have enjoyed it and have had few issues with it. We have upgraded some things like the size rims and tires. The only issue we had was the skin was wrinkling on the door but Keystone replaced it. Everything else has been just normal wear and tear etc. I think with Keystone campers, or any manufacturer, they can be hit or miss. We have a good one.
Greg and J
Ben - Yellow Lab. Charley - Red Lab
2018 Keystone Bullet Premier 30RIPR
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 5.0

Sarvi
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 Keystone Sprinter Select 29BH, and I LOVE it! It's easy to tow (despite being 33 feet long), it looks very nice inside, and have had no real problems with it. I bought it used in early 2015.

Mjbrs
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all of the input!

js6343js6343
Explorer
Explorer
I am the owner of a Keystone Sprinter. I am not pleased to say it, but I would not recommend ANY Keystone product. We have had endless problems from the day of our purchase. And I do not believe our case is an anomaly. For a full accounting of our experience please see Subject: RV Manufacturers, I am calling you out.

Regrets,

Jim
2011 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS
2004 Suburban 2500 8.1L 4.10
Reese dual cam WDH
Tekonsha Prodigy 2

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
DutchmenSport wrote:
The problem is not the "quality" of the camper any more. It's quit obvious both campers have survived the test of time by now. So, either one would serve you well.

The thing that REALLY needs to be considered is how well the previous owner took care of it. If it's broken down ... run! You're asking for long-term trouble.

Most important is to look for water intrusion, namely the roof. If the previous owner did not take care of the roof, you'll be able to tell that immediately. Check the roof for cracks in the caulking on all the seems, around vents, and skylight. If the roof looks good, the more than likely the original owner took care of everything else. If the roof is bad, well, ... you've got problems.

There are those who say Keystone is a lousy product. But I've been the owner of 2 Keystone Travel Trailers now, and I've had no heartburn whatsoever. Although I am meticulous in care and maintenance, and if something needed fixing, I fixed it immediately.

With the age of both camper, it's no longer a matter of the manufacturer's quality. It's now all about how well the camper was maintained up to this point in time.

I would follow very closely what Dutchman Sport wrote. My main thought other than just looking to see if the trailer was beat up or abused inside and out. Then I would look at the roof real carefully. That could be the real deal breaker. If the 2009 model was in better shape but the roof is 3 years older....may be something that needs to be addressed. If it's been cared for properly and the rig is not abused.......all is bueno!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
The problem is not the "quality" of the camper any more. It's quit obvious both campers have survived the test of time by now. So, either one would serve you well.

The thing that REALLY needs to be considered is how well the previous owner took care of it. If it's broken down ... run! You're asking for long-term trouble.

Most important is to look for water intrusion, namely the roof. If the previous owner did not take care of the roof, you'll be able to tell that immediately. Check the roof for cracks in the caulking on all the seems, around vents, and skylight. If the roof looks good, the more than likely the original owner took care of everything else. If the roof is bad, well, ... you've got problems.

There are those who say Keystone is a lousy product. But I've been the owner of 2 Keystone Travel Trailers now, and I've had no heartburn whatsoever. Although I am meticulous in care and maintenance, and if something needed fixing, I fixed it immediately.

With the age of both camper, it's no longer a matter of the manufacturer's quality. It's now all about how well the camper was maintained up to this point in time.