cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aftermarket brake controllers?

brmiller
Explorer
Explorer
I need to add a brake controller to our Honda Odyssey and wanted to know if there are any recommended controllers? Don't need anything fancy, just wanting to know if there are any to stay away from?
23 REPLIES 23

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You might ask Honda- they may have a 7 pin kit that installed easily and you know the quality will be there.
Honda seems to be good about having kits to add stuff like this.
Since you don't have the 7 pin, you probably don't have the tow package either. It would be a good investment and comes with power steering and trans coolers.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Your RV dealer wires these up every day.
If there is a plug and play solution you will find it here: www.etrailer.com

+1 for Prodigy P2 or P3 (I have P3)

brmiller
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, that's what I'm planning on.

I'm sure it's not pre-wired for it. So I will be adding in the 7 pin harness and brake controller.

I'll make some phone calls and see what I can find out.

thanks.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm not familiar with Honda wiring, but I don't think plug/play with 7-pin, when factory wiring is for 4-pin, which is lights only. You will likely have to do some splicing at connector, and add new wires for battery charge and brakes.

Jerry

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
brmiller wrote:
Anyone know if this will plug and play with a 7 pin harness?

we currently have a 4 pin harness but with the new trailer we need to upgrade to a 7 pin. So I need to install the harness and the brake controller.

Brake controller plug 'n play has nothing to do with whether your vehicle has a simple 4-pin or Bargman 7-pin connector at the rear but rather whether you can simply plug the brake controller into an existing port on the vehicle, below the dash somewhere. This will depend on the make / model / year of your vehicle but you can check on tekonsha.com ... my guess it's not Plug 'n Play, in which case you (or an installer) would have to wire in the controller with the supplied harness that will have a plug on one end that plugs into the controller and bare ends at the other that you'd splice into the vehicle's wiring. I run a Tekohsha P3, had a P2 before, and would highly recommend either.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
brmiller wrote:
thank you for the reply.

we currently have a 4 pin harness but with the new trailer we need to upgrade to a 7 pin. So I need to install the harness and the brake controller.

sorry for the dumb questions just trying to do things the right way.

If you have no 7 pin wiring at all, it will be more than plug and play.
If you do have the 7 pin out back then you can get an adapter to simply plug in your new brake controller. Then all you have to do is adjust it.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Prodigy as ScottG said but watch your trailer weight and payload closely. Easy to go over.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

brmiller
Explorer
Explorer
thank you for the reply.

sorry for the dumb questions just trying to do things the right way.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would just avoid time-delay based controllers.
A Prodigy P2 or P3 will serve your needs nicely and have a solid state pendulum (no moving parts).