cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AGM batteries ?

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone using AGM batteries in your diesel truck for starting? My2005 dodge ram with the 5.9 diesel engine will need two new batteries soon.If so what brand do you recommend?
Thanks
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed
18 REPLIES 18

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Ramp Digger wrote:
quote=transamz9I went 9 years with my OE batteries on my 2005 Ram and never had a jump. I changed them because of age not because they were bad. I see no need the spend big bucks for anything else.

The OE mopar batteries in my 2005 3500 are still in there,10 years and 6 months old still cranks the truck even when its been sitting for a week or more.However I dont leave home without a good set of jumper cables along just in case.I thought about replacing them with factory OE batteries,I am just wondering if they would be as good quality as the factory originals.Anyone have opinions

I personally went with Napa batteries because I get a really good deal through work. If I were you, I would just go to the local dealer and pick up a couple from them. If I remember correctly there wasn't much difference in the price from the dealer and the local auto parts houses. This is just my opinion though. The great thing about your engine is that it will turn over and start off of just one battery so it is very easy to jump.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
jus2shy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Thanks for clarifying.... I also heard but don't have any experience that the Opitma's are not as good as they use to be.

Fact or Fiction?

I do know the standard lead acid Trojans are really good batteries.

Well, my experience with Optima have been good so far with 2 Subarus (and Subaru is known for under-sizing the batteries that come on their cars), a Neon, and a Tacoma. Easily got about 6 or 7 years out of them, then we traded the car (batteries never died in my service).

Thanks... I should have tried them in my 6.0 PSD truck. That truck would go thru batteries like crazy. The interesting part is because of this I got several free sets of batteries because of this.

The 6.0 eats batteries. The FICM is so picky about the juice it gets I change mine every 3-4 years on my sick-o. The 6.0 pulls hard on the batteries until it finishes it's start-up procedures which takes 5 minutes or so. The 5.9 Cummins only runs the intake heater in the colder months and even then once the truck reaches 20 MPH the heater goes off and stays off so the batteries don't work near as hard.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
jus2shy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Thanks for clarifying.... I also heard but don't have any experience that the Opitma's are not as good as they use to be.

Fact or Fiction?

Well, my experience with Optima have been good so far with 2 Subarus (and Subaru is known for under-sizing the batteries that come on their cars), a Neon, and a Tacoma. Easily got about 6 or 7 years out of them, then we traded the car (batteries never died in my service).

Thanks... I should have tried them in my 6.0 PSD truck. That truck would go thru batteries like crazy. The interesting part is because of this I got several free sets of batteries because of this.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ramp Digger wrote:
quote=transamz9I went 9 years with my OE batteries on my 2005 Ram and never had a jump. I changed them because of age not because they were bad. I see no need the spend big bucks for anything else.

The OE mopar batteries in my 2005 3500 are still in there,10 years and 6 months old still cranks the truck even when its been sitting for a week or more.However I dont leave home without a good set of jumper cables along just in case.I thought about replacing them with factory OE batteries,I am just wondering if they would be as good quality as the factory originals.Anyone have opinions

Very impressive battery life guys... I want to say I usually did good to get 4-5 years on Delco and Motorcraft batteries, but perhaps the Texas heat reduces their lifespan.

Having said that I know the Motorcraft battery that comes with the vehicle/factory are made in the USA and last longer than the Motorcraft batteries purchased over the counter which are made in mexico.

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer

05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
I went 9 years with my OE batteries on my 2005 Ram and never had a jump. I changed them because of age not because they were bad. I see no need the spend big bucks for anything else.

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Fact or Fiction?

E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
jus2shy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
jus2shy wrote:

Just make sure when you switch to an AGM battery that isn't the same group number/size as your current ones, that you have enough cold cranking capacity.

J2S,
Can you clarify your last statement.

Some battery manufacturers have their own battery sizes that don't quite pair up with manufacturer battery sizes. For example, my wife's Subaru. I just installed an Optima battery in there. The Optima unit was smaller dimensionally, however it's specifications did have nearly twice the cranking power on there along with more amperage in general. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but what I was basically getting at is to make sure that the battery will meet the starting needs for your vehicle and fit within the physical envelope of your battery storage system.

Optima is probably the biggest offender out there in non-standard battery sizes while Trojan and Odyssey makes a myriad of batteries in more of the standard group sizes seen in more vehicles. I saw someone mention Deka as well, they're a pretty large supplier of batteries and manufacture to most vehicle sizes. But sometimes you may own a vehicle that doesn't have a standard battery size and you'll have to find the next "Closest" thing out there.

Fact or Fiction?

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
Optima's also. I am on the second set since 2005. Junked the OEMs pretty fast. The first set lasted until 2014.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
jus2shy wrote:

Just make sure when you switch to an AGM battery that isn't the same group number/size as your current ones, that you have enough cold cranking capacity.

J2S,
Can you clarify your last statement.

Some battery manufacturers have their own battery sizes that don't quite pair up with manufacturer battery sizes. For example, my wife's Subaru. I just installed an Optima battery in there. The Optima unit was smaller dimensionally, however it's specifications did have nearly twice the cranking power on there along with more amperage in general. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but what I was basically getting at is to make sure that the battery will meet the starting needs for your vehicle and fit within the physical envelope of your battery storage system.

Optima is probably the biggest offender out there in non-standard battery sizes while Trojan and Odyssey makes a myriad of batteries in more of the standard group sizes seen in more vehicles. I saw someone mention Deka as well, they're a pretty large supplier of batteries and manufacture to most vehicle sizes. But sometimes you may own a vehicle that doesn't have a standard battery size and you'll have to find the next "Closest" thing out there.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Of course Sears does not make batteries. They just resell and provide locations nation-wide to get a warranty adjustment.

Available in standard group 65 with 930 CCA should be a direct bolt in.

(compare Optima at 800 CCA)

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Sears Platinum

Odyssey and Sears P-4 are brands made by Enersys. I use a P-4 as a starting battery. It has a 48mo 100% replacement warranty.

HTH;
John

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
I installed 2ea optima's from O'reilly's auto parts in my 2001 5.9 Ram. They are a little pricey but nice not having to worry about corrosion and I think agm's are more vibration resistant.

Optima

Adam_R
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Deka AGM about 10 years ago and that is all I run now in my small fleet of 4 personal vehicles. 2 are diesels and 2 of them have large winches (that get used) and they have held up great.

I'll never go back to lead acids.

Adam