cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AGM battery

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I heard that a AGM battery is not recommend for 2017 Ford F350 because the alternator will charge them wrong and it short the life of the battery.Anybody know that?
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023
26 REPLIES 26

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Usually you don't want to exceed 14.7V with AGM, as it may increase pressure beyond value safety settings, and outgas. That's a permanent loss of electrolyte.

Other than that, there's no reason why AGM can't be used in a specific vehicle. They're better than flooded in every way except cost.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ScottG wrote:
Vehicles that come from the factory with AGM's have a slightly lower system voltage. That is the reason they are not a good retro-fit for normal systems. The higher voltage seems to shorten their lives.

I can't refute whether AGM equipped vehicles charge at lower voltage, but my small sample size of AGMs in vehicles that did not come with AGMs does not support shorter battery life.
Best example is a set of Odyssey AGMs that started life in our boat(s) in 2009 and 2011 respectively.
In 2013 I put them in our 07 Dodge diesel. They lasted until the spring of 2020. So 9 and 11 years old. Dunno which was which, whether it was the newer one or older one that gave out, but I was pleased with the life of the batteries.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Vehicles that come from the factory with AGM's have a slightly lower system voltage. That is the reason they are not a good retro-fit for normal systems. The higher voltage seems to shorten their lives.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
buc1980 wrote:
I heard that a AGM battery is not recommend for 2017 Ford F350 because the alternator will charge them wrong and it short the life of the battery.Anybody know that?
NO. I don't buy that.

For superior cranking amps and slight advantage on voltage, additional freeze resistance, faster charging, zero maintenance AGM is a great choice at a premium price.

https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/odx-agm65-battery-65-pc1750t/

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
An AGM is a much more stable battery, can be ran down a bit farther than FLA batteries. For these 2 reasons they are a better choice!

No no nooo! You got it all wrong, lol.
The old farts above (some of which are our resident camper battery geeks) say itโ€™s a bad idea , not necessary, foolish etc.
Oh wait, theyโ€™ll say the opposite to basically anythingโ€ฆ.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
An AGM is a much more stable battery, can be ran down a bit farther than FLA batteries. For these 2 reasons they are a better choice!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
But regardless of all the "reasons" y'all appear to have for why you don't need an AGM battery, the fact is, they will work just fine in a 2017 F250, or any other vehicle.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
There really is only one benefit for a AGM battery. No liquid. Not sure if that would be worth the extra cost in a typical under hood installation.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
The real question is why bother for a starting battery.

The main advantage of AMG is they don't spill if you roll them over. Great on a boat or a stunt plane...not so much for a starting battery.

I would say the biggest reason is that they are maintenance free. A lot of people these days don't even know how to open the hood.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
The real question is why bother for a starting battery.

The main advantage of AMG is they don't spill if you roll them over. Great on a boat or a stunt plane...not so much for a starting battery.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I ran an AGM in my 02 V-10 Excursion for near 10 years, still was in there when I sold it. I also run one in my wifeโ€™s 13 Explorer with no issues. 2 years ago I put one in my 12 V-10 Class A. AGMs work fine, Iโ€™m fact a lot of the newer vehicles come with them from the factory.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

blt2ski
Possibly. Not just Ford's.

AGM batteries can be charged at 40% of lost amps vs lead at 25%,gel at20%.
So if you have too small if a power source, the battery will not charge correctly. Or you will blow up power source, ie alternator because you are working it too hard
This is a big issue in boats, with house battery makeups many times bigger than land yachts.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer