cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airing DRW trucks-hard to get too

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've aired tires on truck most of my life, and usually no problem. Bought a 2014 F350 and finding I can't get my fingers in the small hole to get the cap off, and check tire pressures. Went to local tire shop for help and he also had problems. I've seen several kind of extensions and some say they loose air when using them. I've seen one that is flexible, and bolts to the outer rim to hold it in place. Just wanted to get some opinions.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch
27 REPLIES 27

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
afishinado wrote:
Winged One wrote:
Same truck, same issues. My results.

To check air on all six tires: Milton offset head guage S976 S976

I do not have to remove the flow through valve covers using this product.

To fill your tires, get the Milton dual head inflator S506 S506

Again, you do not have to remove the flow through valve covers to add air.

I modified my inflator with a 12 inch brass stem (replacing the 6 inch brass stem that comes standard). Makes it easier to get air into the inner wheel. You can get it direct from Milton or purchase a Milton S690, and swap out stems. S690

These are quality, American made pieces that will not give out by next year.

Just added both to my new to me TV.. Thanks for posting!

Glad it worked for you!
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
it was the valve extension one, but I got it to go thru finally

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Which link can't you get to work?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
cant get the link to work, do you have something else thats better?

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the info.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

kirbybear
Explorer
Explorer
Alligator valve caps http://www.myerstiresupply.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=263& and an extended air foot.

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winged One wrote:
Same truck, same issues. My results.

To check air on all six tires: Milton offset head guage S976 S976

I do not have to remove the flow through valve covers using this product.

To fill your tires, get the Milton dual head inflator S506 S506

Again, you do not have to remove the flow through valve covers to add air.

I modified my inflator with a 12 inch brass stem (replacing the 6 inch brass stem that comes standard). Makes it easier to get air into the inner wheel. You can get it direct from Milton or purchase a Milton S690, and swap out stems. S690

These are quality, American made pieces that will not give out by next year.

Just added both to my new to me TV.. Thanks for posting!
2006 KZ - 37 my first RV of any kind
06 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Dually Cummins
Travel 2+ months a year with wife, 2 dogs and 2 Harleys

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've not seen any of the "pass through" caps. What advantage to they have over not having caps at all? Not being a smart a$$ but I leave my caps off because I don't want to try and reach them, which is just short of impossible. Would these type of caps be preferable? I've never had an issue, but also don't want one either.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
kennethwooster wrote:
I've aired tires on truck most of my life, and usually no problem. Bought a 2014 F350 and finding I can't get my fingers in the small hole to get the cap off, and check tire pressures. Went to local tire shop for help and he also had problems. I've seen several kind of extensions and some say they loose air when using them. I've seen one that is flexible, and bolts to the outer rim to hold it in place. Just wanted to get some opinions.

My 2013 came with pass "pass through" caps. No need to take the cap off, just put the air chuck right on them

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions! Looks like the companies charging 68.000 for a truck could make something to make them easier to check and air. Guess I will talk to my service writer. I think I will get the straight unit with the straight as well as angled head.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many thanks, I couldn't tell by the pictures. Appreciate it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
FJ I just went out and looked. The stems are screw in for either the straight with off set or the traditional offset head.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had to have the different offset head to do my outside dually wheel. The inside uses the straight ahead chuck.

How is the chuck held in place? You have to pull on it to get the air pressure reading for the angled chuck and I didn't see how the chuck head stayed on the gauge proper. TIA.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
fj if you are asking me, I use the straight head only and the gauge is easy to use. It is supposed to be +- 1psi and it appears to be so. I bought the straight head from orielly to use when I am near my air compressor at the house and it pretty good it seems. I have both types of guages, but the inside stems were always hard to get to with the off set for taking pressure or air up ao the need for the straight head for both.