Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Airstream Fiberglass TT

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
Airstream Nest Caravan

Markiemark:C
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.
23 REPLIES 23

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
brookside wrote:
I'm not sure who this will appeal to at the price they'll ask. Also, despite what they want to call it, it is a "Thor". Quality usually falls when Thor makes a purchase. They might be able to bring it in some what less expensive than the small manufacturer that they bought the business from since they can buy components/parts in bulk. Thor also cuts corners.

I guess if one wants the "Airstream" name, they'll pay the price for that.

Here's hoping Thor doesn't always mean lack of quality construction which is a selling point I'm very much interested in; already rejected numerous other manufacturers on that basis. Already re-enthused by the 2 year warranty.

Considering backing out of my down payment with Alto Safari Condo because of the long construction time and am once again looking at Airstream and similar.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, yes; That is the only reason that I bought my trailer was for the name. :S
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

brookside
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure who this will appeal to at the price they'll ask. Also, despite what they want to call it, it is a "Thor". Quality usually falls when Thor makes a purchase. They might be able to bring it in some what less expensive than the small manufacturer that they bought the business from since they can buy components/parts in bulk. Thor also cuts corners.

I guess if one wants the "Airstream" name, they'll pay the price for that.
Cathy, Alfred, and Andrew.
Appreciating each day

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
There is something I have noticed while on the road for the last year.

The Airstream seems to be THE trailer of choice for the Dual-income-no-kids younger buyers. Most of them I meet have very good jobs and are in their late twenties or early thirties and want something stylish, cool and classic. Price is not their first concern.

And think about this: There is an aura about Airstream. It just seems more environmentally friendly in some way, It's the Anti-Class A/Fifth wheel behomoth. This I think also appeals to them.

I have noticed that too. I don't know if it is the trailer of choice for DINKs. But when you see a new AS, it seems to be owned by DINKs.

Hey, people buy all sorts of things for style and taste over utility.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
Finally a TT (of any size) that actually has some design elements that make sense and don't look like they came from the Elvis Presley Jungle- Room-School of interior design.

I applaud the European look and design of this nifty little trailer. And I see many many trailers of this size out here on the road. They are very popular.

I hope the rest of the RV industry will wake up soon and drag themselves out of the '70's and '80's interior and EXTERIOR design time- warp they have been in for 40 years.

Airstream is a classic by any measurement and they know a good thing when they see it.

Australia has a lot of these types of Hybrid Caravans/Camper Trailers. Heavier than the Airstream/ Nest Caravan, but all composite nonetheless
A Karakampa

A Sportcruiser

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer my Bigfoot

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
rbpru wrote:
If you want quality, you pay extra for it.
If you want radical design, you pay extra for it.
If you want unique, you pay extra for it.

These are all niche markets, which is why most people stick with the current crop of TTs.

I am not sure that I would class Airstream Trailers as a niche market. They are one of the oldest trailer makers and have been very successful throughout their history. These are not the markers of a Niche Market company.

I also don;t consider this new trailers design "Radical" in any way. It is streamlined, well thought out, and modern. Whats radical about that?

Yes it's not the same old Log Cabins most of us drive around with but that is a good thing.

coolbikeman1
Explorer
Explorer
http://olivertraveltrailers.com/

This is another high quality fiberglass trailer that can come in a larger size. Looks to be well made and has high quality components. I would like to inquire to see if they could make one almost identical in size and interior to an Airstream Classic 31' model. You would have no trouble with possible seam leaks compared to the aluminum models.

Sorry for double post. The first message didn't have a clickable link. Can't find a way to delete it.

coolbikeman1
Explorer
Explorer
http://olivertraveltrailers.com/

This is another high quality fiberglass trailer that can come in a larger size. Looks to be well made and has high quality components. I would like to inquire to see if they could make one almost identical in size and interior to an Airstream Classic 31' model. You would have no trouble with possible seam leaks compared to the aluminum models.

theatremusician
Explorer
Explorer
Love this. Clean, modern design. It is, indeed, a trailer for a younger customer (also for me, lol).

BTW, my first post on this site.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want quality, you pay extra for it.
If you want radical design, you pay extra for it.
If you want unique, you pay extra for it.

These are all niche markets, which is why most people stick with the current crop of TTs.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is something I have noticed while on the road for the last year.

The Airstream seems to be THE trailer of choice for the Dual-income-no-kids younger buyers. Most of them I meet have very good jobs and are in their late twenties or early thirties and want something stylish, cool and classic. Price is not their first concern.

And think about this: There is an aura about Airstream. It just seems more environmentally friendly in some way, It's the Anti-Class A/Fifth wheel behomoth. This I think also appeals to them.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reminds me of the late 1950s Lotus Elite, which use a fiberglass monocoque structure (with some steel reinforcement for a roll cage) to which the chassis parts were bolted. The primary market was the low displacement classes in GT road racing, but they did need to sell some to road customers as well. Things tended to break away from the plastic structure, or the structure itself would fracture, as real world use on badly maintained roads introduced stresses well beyond the those discovered by static testing.

The original Elite was replaced by the Elan, which put a box-girder backbone under the fiberglass body. That one held together better.

At the asking price, I don't think I'd want to be one of the road testers of a radical engineering experiment. I have enough towing capacity that I can handle an egg-trailer sitting atop a steel frame, which can still weigh under 2000 pounds at this size. Buying one of these is going to be like buying one of the first Tesla models, it needs to be backed up by a great warranty program. I'm surprised that Airstream would stick their necks out to produce something this extraordinary, but it will probably require Airstream branding to find a market at the asking price.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
All the chat over on the Airstream forum about it seems to indicate it's going to be $35K - $40K.

EDIT: $35K, and you get a couple of folding chairs like you buy at walmart for $14.88 ?? Ouch.