cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

airstream ride?

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a bumper pull manufacture that builds a trailer that tows as well as an Airstream?
60 REPLIES 60

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnsr wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
Lynnsr wrote:
Thanks guys, you have a finally proven my point. Amid all the BS you finally come up with a competitor to the aerodynamics of an Airstream.

I read about the Bolus, never been lucky enough to see one, however I seriously doubt that the boat tail backend will give it enough more push to overcome the lack of aerodynamics of the door on the front.

Gotta give you kudos for a nice try though.

LynnSr

I would be very interested to see real data on the differences in aerodynamics of an Airstream vs. say, a Casita. Like maybe from wind tunnel tests. Iโ€™m sure thatโ€™s been done at some point.
As Dr. DeGrasse says, Science > Opinion. And I have the tee shirt.

Seriously, though, I am curious to know.

GrandpaKip

Here's the best I could find.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1648&d=1046725768

However it is very substantial.

LynnSr

Yep, thatโ€™s about all I found, too. Iโ€™ve never doubted that an AS is more aerodynamic than a box. Still no idea if any more than one of the fiberglass eggs. Oh, well, just another one of lifeโ€™s mysteries.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
All good here, it seems i80 is just about as dense with semi traffic as it can handle. This economy I submit is booming. Its a good barometer of how well we are doing.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
hvac wrote:
Going west today, our annual Michigan to N Cali. Heavy N winds and rain. It was fun. I'm sure a silver bullet might have been a bit easier...

I too was heading west yesterday, somewhat south of you, across Kansas. Yes, rain and a heavy gusting wind out of the north. All I can say was the FunFinder white boxy trailer with leaf springs hitched with a BlueOx to the Nissan Frontier easily towed all the way out here to the farm. The only thing I did different than normal is because of the wet roads, I did not use cruise control.

It could be that "a silver bullet might have been a bit easier"...... what I can say for sure was, it was an easy tow.

A trailer with the axles in the correct location fore/aft, with proper loading and tongue weight, hitched with a correctly set up WD hitch, to an adequate tow vehicle for the trailer in tow, adds up to a pleasant day of driving. IMO.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder why anyone would spend $137k on a Bolus? You could buy a nice travel trailer and send some poor kid to college instead for 1/2. Just another me,me,me thing so as one who owns one would think, "Everyone will look at me with my Bolus!" Right!.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Going west today, our annual Michigan to N Cali. Heavy N winds and rain. It was fun. I'm sure a silver bullet might have been a bit easier...

Lynnsr
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Lynnsr wrote:
Thanks guys, you have a finally proven my point. Amid all the BS you finally come up with a competitor to the aerodynamics of an Airstream.

I read about the Bolus, never been lucky enough to see one, however I seriously doubt that the boat tail backend will give it enough more push to overcome the lack of aerodynamics of the door on the front.

LynnSr

I would be very interested to see real data on the differences in aerodynamics of an Airstream vs. say, a Casita. Like maybe from wind tunnel tests. Iโ€™m sure thatโ€™s been done at some point.

GrandpaKip

Here's the best I could find.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1648&d=1046725768

However it is very substantial.

LynnSr
K0LFM Call Sign
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 20' FB
Pro-Craft 180 Bass boat
2003 GMC Sierra 2500,, Ride-Rites w/dual Control, Helwig rear sway bar, "E" rated 16" 10 ply Michelins, Heavy Duty Pads & Rotors

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnsr wrote:

LynnSr

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I put Airlift on the rear of my Tow, Firestone Airshocks on the front and we have Michelin LT tires on everything. You can even buy airride for Travel trailers. I weigh 19K fully loaded.My ride is comparable to a big truck except on some bridges which you ccould never smooth out.BTW/I don't like torqflex but it's personal.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
hvac wrote:
I love the Bolus. Now that's a class act. Last I looked 6 figures though.

Make that starting at 137 k. If it had a built in onan and 100 gallons of water like our ATC I might break open another piggy bank.

I've never heard of them before but they're certainly unique. Unreal price for what you get, though. Definitely a niche product even more so than an Airstream.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at trailers in the 40s and 50s, most were more rounded than today. Heck, GMC motor home in the 70s, way ahead of its time and superior construction to any Class A today. I give Oliver a thumbs up for going the extra length to improving quality. Kinda rounded on the edges.

Lynnsr
Explorer
Explorer

LynnSr
K0LFM Call Sign
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 20' FB
Pro-Craft 180 Bass boat
2003 GMC Sierra 2500,, Ride-Rites w/dual Control, Helwig rear sway bar, "E" rated 16" 10 ply Michelins, Heavy Duty Pads & Rotors

sp8gold
Explorer
Explorer
Having towed an airstream as well as "regular" campers, I can't say there is whole lot of difference. If it's ride, that is all in your tow vehicle. JMHO

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
I love the Bolus. Now that's a class act. Last I looked 6 figures though.

Make that starting at 137 k. If it had a built in onan and 100 gallons of water like our ATC I might break open another piggy bank.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnsr wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
Lynnsr wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
I take it you're talking about aerodynamics. Depends on size, lots of fiberglass trailers have a rounded shape but tend to be smaller.

Iv'e never seen this fiberglass trailer you speak of????

LynnSr

Casita, Scamp. Bigfoot, Oliver, Burro. Sure I'm missing a few.

I guess you have never seen an "Airstream".
I've seen all of the above and they do not come close to the same aerodynamic form.

Lynnsr

I guess Iโ€™m missing something.
Anyhow, semis are using rounded caps on the front of trailers to reduce drag. For them, any increase in mpg is good.
The most aerodynamic rv Iโ€™ve ever seen is the Bolus.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch