cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All 2024 GM HDS get the 10 speed Allison.

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer

According to a sales guy, so take it with a grain of salt, the price will go up across the board by $3K to $5K for the 24 models. With the current state of the economy he is probably correct.
59 REPLIES 59

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Let's make this perfectly CLEAR. The trans in the current GM's are only "BRANDED ALLISON". Makes me all warm and fuzzy.

RAM has a Chrysler trans and AISIN MD trans. Ford has its own HD trans. No smoke and mirrors with either of them.

I'm not going to accuse Ram of using smoke and mirrors but I'm pretty sure if Ram came out with an eight speed tranny to stick behind the HO Cummins they wouldn't need the Aisin name to sell it.

I agree. But reality is the Cummins does not need more gears.

I never heard of Asin until some one here started throwing that name around like it was important.

I am now on my 3rd Allison truck. They have all been great.

Remember, GM was the first to put a RELIABLE auto trans, in a heavy duty truck.

That forced the others to step up their game.
It used to be common to need a tranny rebuild at 70-80K.
You all should be thankful to GM.

I think the Duramax/Allison certainly did pave the way to more powerful pickup trucks but my 2003 Duramax put out more than its Allison could handle.

Here's an interesting article:
How much Abuse can the Allison take

How much abuse can the Ford transmission take.

Ford must have pretty good confidence in their 10R140 to warrant it behind a 1200 lbft Powerstroke.

What I get out of both links is a saying that we used a lot when I was on a sprint car race team.
"Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

Leave any of the trucks stock, and one avoids a lot of trouble/expense.
If you wanna play, you gotta pay.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huntindog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Let's make this perfectly CLEAR. The trans in the current GM's are only "BRANDED ALLISON". Makes me all warm and fuzzy.

RAM has a Chrysler trans and AISIN MD trans. Ford has its own HD trans. No smoke and mirrors with either of them.

I'm not going to accuse Ram of using smoke and mirrors but I'm pretty sure if Ram came out with an eight speed tranny to stick behind the HO Cummins they wouldn't need the Aisin name to sell it.

I never heard of Asin until some one here started throwing that name around like it was important.

I don't think Chrysler got the notice from GM. Perhaps the reason why is they were in one of their multiple owners/organization changes. Can't say which one, there's been so many that I lost track. Currently under the French rule of law.

Combined mileage for my current and previous Super Duty is 430,000 miles and the transmissions are so good I don't even think about them nor do I add aftermarket transmission pans and take pictures of the internal fluid to share to the world.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huntindog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I think the Duramax/Allison certainly did pave the way to more powerful pickup trucks but my 2003 Duramax put out more than its Allison could handle.

Here's an interesting article:
How much Abuse can the Allison take

How much abuse can the Ford transmission take.

Ford must have pretty good confidence in their 10R140 to warrant it behind a 1200 lbft Powerstroke.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
ls1mike wrote:
I am just happy they are putting a 10 speed behind the gasser.

Don't get too happy too quick. The in house experts will be along shortly to inform you it's not a real Allison, and probably that it's only an 8 speed labled as a 10 speed.

I had to throw a whole party size package of Oreos away when I realized Nabisco is in reality owned by Mondelez and nothing more than an emblem. Why take the chance that they might not soak up as much milk when you dip them?

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am just happy they are putting a 10 speed behind the gasser. I don't tow more than 8000lbs ever. I tow my 7500lbs load travel trailer and a Parade float for the local Submarine Veterans which comes in at about 6800lbs. Plus I plan on going to a smaller/lighter trailer here in the next 2 to 4 years. So my gas 1 ton is fine. I was waiting for the 6.6 gasser to get more gears and a different transmission than my 2017 3500HD. In 2 years, I will probably be at 50,000 miles on the 17. No need to get rid of it but I will certainly look at the 2024s now as it will most likely be my last truck because on a heavy year I put 3500 miles on it. I am not a truck guy, so I don't daily drive it.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

I didn't go any further than the video with the GM engineer.

So you drank the coolaid, and did not get to the part about first guy outside the GM/Allison bubble to tear down the new transmission. It is called cherry picking details.

So you link up and refer to a post by some unknown person on another forum, that claims some other unknown person was the first to ever tear down a 10L1000 other than someone associated with GM, then have the nerve to accuse others who watched a video by a GM engineer in the link posted by you of cherry picking details and drinking rhe Kool-Aid? ROFLMAO...... That's pretty rich. At least you could take the time to spell Kool-Aid correctly.

Me Again wrote:
GM transmission licensed to use the Allison name!

https://ir.allisontransmission.com/news-releases/news-release-details/chevrolet-offer-10-speed-fully...

Kraft licensed to use the Kool-Aid name!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kool-Aid

blt2ski
ktmrfs wrote:
Given that GM, Ford and Dodge now make very fine and reliable transmissions for the HD trucks, who really cares who makes them? I don't, I'm just glad that all 3 mfg have excellent diesel engines and excellent transmission to go with them.

Pick what you like best.

These are ALL the DETAILS one needs today!

None of us are replacing 3 and 4 spd auto transmissions like clockwork every 30K miles as I did with some of the TH400 and early 4l80e transmissions! CLutches lasted me 80-90K miles. I have over 125K on the one in my Navistar......

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

So you drank the coolaid, and did not get to the park about first guy outside the GM/Allison bubble to tear down the new transmission. It is called cherry picking details.

The devil is in the details.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Given that GM, Ford and Dodge now make very fine and reliable transmissions for the HD trucks, who really cares who makes them? I don't, I'm just glad that all 3 mfg have excellent diesel engines and excellent transmission to go with them.

Pick what you like best.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:

So you drank the coolaid, and did not get to the part about first guy outside the GM/Allison bubble to tear down the new transmission. It is called cherry picking details.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pbutler97 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Ford and GM co-developed the 10 speed transmissions that are used in half ton and car applications. The 10 speed HD transmissions were not co-developed.

Something more to read.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/threads/ford-gm-10-speed-allison-transmissions.1013201/

Thanks for sharing and the video in your link proves GM co-developed the 10 speed HD transmission with Allison with the information provided by a GM engineer.

Link

Plus the PTO on the Allison is on the passenger side that is chain driven and the PTO on the Ford is on the driver side that is gear driven.

Not if you read further and take the word of Mike L of Inglewood transmission whoever the f×+! He is lol. He apparently knows more than GM themselves. That rag of a forum is apparently more screwed up than this one which takes a hell of a lot of work lol.

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Ford and GM co-developed the 10 speed transmissions that are used in half ton and car applications. The 10 speed HD transmissions were not co-developed.

Something more to read.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/threads/ford-gm-10-speed-allison-transmissions.1013201/

Thanks for sharing and the video in your link proves GM co-developed the 10 speed HD transmission with Allison with the information provided by a GM engineer.

Link

Plus the PTO on the Allison is on the passenger side that is chain driven and the PTO on the Ford is on the driver side that is gear driven.

Not if you read further and take the word of Mike L of Inglewood transmission whoever the f×+! He is lol. He apparently knows more than GM themselves. That rag of a forum is apparently more screwed up than this one which takes a hell of a lot of work lol.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Something more to read.

Link