cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All 2024 GM HDS get the 10 speed Allison.

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer

According to a sales guy, so take it with a grain of salt, the price will go up across the board by $3K to $5K for the 24 models. With the current state of the economy he is probably correct.
59 REPLIES 59

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:

Ford and GM co-developed the 10 speed transmissions that are used in half ton and car applications. The 10 speed HD transmissions were not co-developed.

Something more to read.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/threads/ford-gm-10-speed-allison-transmissions.1013201/
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Vintage465 wrote:
Interestingly enough, whoever "Motorbiscuit" is, they think that Ford and GM did co-design the HD tranny, not the cars and 1/2 tons. I don't really know who designed what.....But what I know is before the Allison 1000 appeared all the overdrive automatic trannies whether behind a diesel or a strong gasser, they're(their?) days were numbered. They all caved in if you put much load on them. So Allison or not, at least now-a-days, you can get from coast to coast and not worry so much about the tranny grenade-ing in all the big three. Also, I've read that the 10 speeds tend to hunt a bit when you get into hills...hunting bugs the heck out of me and I'm glad mine just stays in 6th going up and down hills.

ah, yup, the following applies

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet"

Thomas Jefferson
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Pbutler97 wrote:
Geo*Boy wrote:
Who cares what the transmission is called, GM is going to offer a 10 speed HD transmission in their 2024 HD trucks. End of story.

Exactly.

What is hilarious is of the two people who seem to have the most to say, one owns a Dodge and the other a Ford.

Lol! Good stuff!
But while on this topic can we give reviews of the 10speed in the Ford/GM half tons?
I’ve got one with 50k miles on it, light towing only. Maybe 20% of the miles towing 7klbs or less.
So far it is flawless. And the only trans aside from the Chrysler, sorry, ZF, lol, 8HP models that I’d consider on par with a 8HP, or digging back a few years, Alli 1000 or Ford 6R140.

Long term, anyone got 100k or more on these units?
My new work truck which I’ll own, not the company, will either be a newer Silvy/Sierra 1500 10 speed or a Ram 8HP.
I’m slightly more skeptical of the 10speed since no long term personal experience with it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
Geo*Boy wrote:
Who cares what the transmission is called, GM is going to offer a 10 speed HD transmission in their 2024 HD trucks. End of story.

Exactly.

What is hilarious is of the two people who seem to have the most to say, one owns a Dodge and the other a Ford.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Pbutler97 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Pbutler97 wrote:
ksss wrote:
the tranny is of course an ALLISON 10 speed.

Are you sure? You might just have Allison emblems stuck on the hood or fender. It might be a 10L90E or even a Powerglide with 8 more gears stuffed in the housing somehow.

Well it worked! The deal GM made to brand their 10 speed transmission as an Allison is fooling many, who now think they have a real Allison transmission.

ROFLMAO....some of you take the cake.

So you think they are being forthright and honest???

Yes.

GM splitting off the Allison division is common knowledge as is the agreement put in place at that time. If anyone thinks the current 10L1000 is simply a branded 10L80 or 10L90 you've hit your head. Go discuss this thread with an experienced transmission guy and get an education. Or better yet perhaps you knuckleheads can argue about if the isolation bushings between bed and frame were made for all 3 of the big 3 by the same Chinese guy in Jieyang named Sum Ting Wong, or not.

But then again when I went from 9th grade in Jr High school to 10th grade in Senior High school I left Jr High school behind. Some didn't LOL.

I am however seeing your logic. So back to Jr High. Since from 1930 or something up until the mid 00's Allison was GM, I then assume that since RAM is/was a Chrysler/Dodge and the Ram logo was associated with same since about forever, and now it's a Chrysler/Dodge/Peugeot/Fiat branded as a RAM, it's all equal in the deception department huh? ROFLMAO

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
Interestingly enough, whoever "Motorbiscuit" is, they think that Ford and GM did co-design the HD tranny, not the cars and 1/2 tons. I don't really know who designed what.....But what I know is before the Allison 1000 appeared all the overdrive automatic trannies whether behind a diesel or a strong gasser, they're(their?) days were numbered. They all caved in if you put much load on them. So Allison or not, at least now-a-days, you can get from coast to coast and not worry so much about the tranny grenade-ing in all the big three. Also, I've read that the 10 speeds tend to hunt a bit when you get into hills...hunting bugs the heck out of me and I'm glad mine just stays in 6th going up and down hills.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

So Allison designed the transmission and GM produces it. So what's the problem?

Maybe a little research is in order? I thought a Ford guy would have known this! Ford SDs are using the same Allison! :B

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/problems-chevy-silverado-hd-10-speed-automatic-transmission/

https://nextgendiesel.com/blogs/transmissions-101/transmissions-101-allison-10l1000-problems-solutio...

Ford and GM co-developed the 10 speed transmissions that are used in half ton and car applications. The 10 speed HD transmissions were not co-developed.

exactly!!!!
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
What difference does it make if the GM tranny is made by Allison or licensed from them? I have never heard anything negative about it’s performance.

I can’t say the same about the two antiquated transmissions in the RAM HDs……
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
ksss wrote:
Also the engine is the very same engine I have in a 2018 3500, the tranny is of course an ALLISON 10 speed.

I understand where you were going with calling shenanigans on 12Vs passive aggressive selective brand loyalty issues, but this ^ statement doesn't make sense to me.

Yes you are totally correct on where that was going. I was responding to 12V's saying that the engine was new in the 2020 truck. My point was it is the engine that was in the previous gen truck. I purposely called it an Allison to get generate a response from 12V. Surprisingly many other jumped on that, 12V not so much, but what really sucked was calling a Ram a Dodge, that has always been good for a response.....not a peep. I am losing my touch or 12V is getting used to his Ram being called a Dodge (which it is).
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Maybe a little research is in order? I thought a Ford guy would have known this! Ford SDs are using the same Allison! :B

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/problems-chevy-silverado-hd-10-speed-automatic-transmission/

https://nextgendiesel.com/blogs/transmissions-101/transmissions-101-allison-10l1000-problems-solutio...

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it was possible I would gladly swap out the genuine 6 speed Allison in my motorhome for the GM 10 speed. Even an 8 speed. I am not a GM guy but I am pretty sure that the GM transmission is up to snuff. And, the genuine Allison 1000 is only rated for 30,000lbs GCWR. That is what held back GM's tow ratings for several years.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I may be wrong but I am fairly sure the 2008 and back "ALLISON 1000" is not the same as what is in the GM's now???

I also am fairly sure the earlier trans was the weak link with GM saying they didn't need to be able to tow 30k or whatever it was.

Don't disagree...
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I may be wrong but I am fairly sure the 2008 and back "ALLISON 1000" is not the same as what is in the GM's now???

I also am fairly sure the earlier trans was the weak link with GM saying they didn't need to be able to tow 30k or whatever it was.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD