cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aluminum roof

nano
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to look at a 1972 camper today that has an aluminum roof. We've only owned newer campers, so I am wondering if there is anything special I should be looking for aside from cracked/missing sealant?

It also has a front window, and I've read that those can be an issue with leaks. Is there an easy way to spot a problem since the sofa/bed is blocking that wall and I'm guessing it won't be as easy to look/feel for soft/bad spots?
2013 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
8 REPLIES 8

spike99
Explorer
Explorer

If windows leak, simply remove and re-seal them. Good video at: - click here - If wondering, I resealed 11 of my 2006 Jayco windows myself and discovered 3 of them were leaking. Glad I resealed their windows on year 4 (in 2010).

If alumunim roof leaks and it appears to be seams or pin holes, I would simply re-coat the roof via RV Roof Liquid rubber. re: - click here - and - click here -

IMO.... Above tasks are very simple low cost things - that anyone can do themselves...

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
Had a Shasta with an Aluminum roof, had a leak in the aft rt side, ended up foaming the roof with a 1/2" of foam and a heavy coat of paint.It lasted 12 yrs with no leaks till I sold it.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
nano wrote:
This is from a private party, and he says there are no leaks, but I don't believe anything anyone says. Lol.
He could be telling the truth, as far as he knows. But there could be one or more leaks he is unaware of. They are sneaky things.

It pays to be prudent in your inspection.

nano
Explorer
Explorer
This is from a private party, and he says there are no leaks, but I don't believe anything anyone says. Lol.
2013 Keystone Cougar 333MKS

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Look for leaks inside the camper at the ceiling, inside of cabinets around windows. Look for cracks in the aluminum. If there is wood rot...move on to the next camper.

If I bought a used RV with an aluminum roof, the first thing I would do is to clean the roof, remove all the gunk from the seams and use eternabond to reseal everything.

garyindaupeh
Explorer
Explorer
I once had a Pickup camper that had an aluminum roof, what a disaster! Over time the roof developed cracks due to vibration and the airflow over the top. Very difficult to repair, so do a thorogh inspection before buying and routinely thereafter.
2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
2013 Keystone Cougar 21RBS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
For the most part, aluminum roofs hold out water very well. Standing seams or through holes and where the aluminum attaches to the wall are likely to leak if not sealed correctly.
A pressurized leak test (I've found) is the best way to find any leaks. Even a pinhole will turn up with the test.

FWIW, I have an aluminum roof and even after applying a lot of sealant to likely areas, I had a couple of pinhole leaks. The pressure test turned up those spots and I decided to use Eternabond tape to those areas. I test yearly for leaks and my aluminum roof has remained leak free.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

oldcat1
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 1974 TT with a flat aluminum roof. Over time the roof sagged in spots and water would pool in these low spots. We had leaks at seams and around a skylight even though I tried to keep up with sealant maintenance.
It also had a front window and we had leak issues there as well. Safe travels.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0
2014 Surveyor Sport 220RBS