cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

America’s Wildflowers, On the Road in a Truck Camper Pt 2

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
In honor of the First Day of Spring, I thought I would return to posting my thread of America’s Wildflowers on the Road in a Truck Camper. The last time we did this was more than 2 years ago so it is long overdue. At least for those of us that search out and enjoy the wildflowers in this grand country we live in.

Hopefully many of you will find this as a challenge to post here too! Your discoveries and your favorite flowers you see and enjoy while traveling in your truck Campers. The rules? There is only one, please keep the flowers you post here ones that are not in a yard or any formal flower garden. Yes, a wildflower bed would be fine, but not one you found in the flower section of the Home Depot.

Ahh, yes, for those two that mentioned that this was not TC content, before, understand that we are enjoying these wildflowers as much as you enjoy the museums, the fishing pictures, boat pictures and an occasional horse shows. Because I enjoy all those, as well.

Please post your favorite Wildflower pictures here too!!!

But, for Truck Camper content, I will open with one I captured on a past photography hunt, with a good buddy that brought his own camera along, too.

Desert Five-Spot Ermalche rotundifolia

Claret-Cup Cactus Echinocereus triglochidiatus

Saguaro Cactus Carnegiea gigantea

Prairie Wild Rose Rosa arkansaa

Dune Evening Primrose ~ Oenothera californica eurekens

Sunflower Helianthus annuus

Canadian Thistle Cirsium arvense

Those that know me know that I have hundreds of Wildflowers to post. But, how about some of you post some of your favorite wildflower photos too. Just a change in how we post here. Like my previous wildflowers thread, surprise me!

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr
142 REPLIES 142

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
In 2005, the wife and I went camping in our TC to Death Valley. I am not sure if we were in Death Valley proper, or just near. We came across the following orange colored plant. I have no idea what it is, first time I ever saw one, and have never seen another. It is growing on the small bushes.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago whilst going up the Trona-Wildrose road in Death Valley we came upon these in the narrows. With research, we found this is the only place they grow. I knew when we did a report on that trip, but it had faded our of my cranium.
We tried with no success to see if they are blooming this year. Kind of, old, rare friends, these:

This thread started by BKA is another good indicator that sets the TC forum apart from other RV forums. We actually get away from the campground plugins, and get down and dirty preserving these tender damsels in our collective memory bank. It's a good thing.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
bka0721 wrote:
I did check out the Calflora site and it is a closed group. Looks interesting!
b

http://www.calflora.org/
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

cdbinns
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some my husband took last summer.

Starflower (Trientalis borealis) taken in Gouldsboro, Maine

Bluets (Houstonia caerulea) taken in Rumford Falls, Maine

Lady Slipper (Cypripedium acaule) taken in Gouldsboro, Maine

Here's a favorite. I know most people consider them a pesky weed, but when you look at them closely, they really are beautiful.

langenc
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful--thanks to all esp OP.

We took some flower pics on honey moon-45 yrs ago. Film camera, of course. While in Glacier the film got to 36, 38. 39 exposures and I began to worry. Took it to a camera shop in next big city. Fellow told me not to worry, just put some film in the camera...yuk.

RenoAl
Explorer
Explorer
Brian, good thread and lovely photos from all. A couple from me.

Desert Gold

Chuckwallicus among unblooming desert gold
2005 Dodge 3500 DRW:Firestone air bags w/ in dual cab control, Rancho 9000, Helwig sway bar, 55 gal fuel tank, cold air box
2005 Lance 1191: generator, TV, A/C, solar
Bayliner 19.5 Capri & 12 ft. Gregor
1965 TBird
Rosie the dog

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Brian:

I think you nailed it with golden columbine. I looked up western columbine, however the golden seems to fit. This particular flower wasn't fully developed, it seems. Good call.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
Yes, I can enjoy them without their names. However, as a retired reference librarian, not knowing the answer bugs me. So...

CalFlora has photographs and observation records. The pink bush is Prunus andersonii, Desert Peach, and has been observed on Pine Creek Road and that is where I took the photo. Bingo!
Excellent. Then you will enjoy this thread too. As stated before, I am certainly not the final answer, especially in a state I have never lived in. For me it is fun and I like bugs too!

I did check out the Calflora site and it is a closed group. Looks interesting!

b
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, I can enjoy them without their names. However, as a retired reference librarian, not knowing the answer bugs me. So...

CalFlora has photographs and observation records. The pink bush is Prunus andersonii, Desert Peach, and has been observed on Pine Creek Road and that is where I took the photo. Bingo!

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tiger4X4RV in the Taxon world I was drilled by Dr. Richard Shaw and always kept the comment in the back of my head that he shared to a visitor to the National Park he was working in. He was enquired the name of a flower and answered; "None of these beautiful things had names until man needed a way organize things into a fashion. So if you don't know the name, no reason you can't still enjoy them!" But he was never at a loss at identifying the different flowers, plants and grasses. But he was always steady on the fact one should not be caught up on this need. Just enjoy being out there with them.

For me it is still fun to classify and see the colloquial names for many of the same plants. For me, they are still, PLFs, Pretty Little Flowers. But I love learning from others and I for one am not any final answer on what one is. But going with; Petal, Leaf, Color, Size, Location and Time helps get you into the right classification. So that is how I do it, Pjay9.

Just like, Fleabane. That is a slippery slope in all the different types.
No you are getting an idea why I travel so slow, anywhere I go.

b
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Brian, I am amazed at your ID skills. These pics are so lovely!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I think the last one, the pink thing, is some sort of wild flowering peach. It was at a higher altitude, definitely a shrub or small tree. It was along the road to Pine Creek trailhead.

My guess for the ground flowering blue ones, Linanthus parryae. Not at all sure on that.

The aster might be a Mojave aster, might be Orcutt's. It is definitely an aster.

For the others, I'll go with your ID. Thanks! I have more, maybe for if the thread lags a bit.

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
Since you asked, here are a few more from the same trip as my earlier post. April, 2011. I attended the Ridgecrest Wildflower Festival and then went further north along 395 just exploring random side roads.

The annual wildflower exhibit at Ridgecrest's Maturango Museum is not to be missed. April 10-12 this year. Same flowers from different collection sites are displayed together so you can see differences. Thousands of flowers. Lots of other programs, too. http://maturango.org/annual-wildflower-exhibit/ Festival has a Facebook page with info and lots of flower photos.

Not sure about ID's on these blooms; contributions welcome.[/IMG]

Beautiful photos, Tiger4X4RV. Thanks for contributing! May I have some more, please?

I was unaware about the Ridgecrest Wildflower Festival. Sadly it is too far into the springtime for me to still be in that area. I did go to the California Poppy Festival, outside of Lancaster California, in 2012.

Here are some of my thoughts on what your flowers are, in the order you have posted them.

Orcutt’s Woddy-Aster ~ Xylorhiza orcuttii (Asters are one of the most identifiable family of flowers)

Rattlesnake-Weed ~ Chamaesyce albomarginata (spurge plants are fairly common)

Desert Paintbrush ~ Castilleja chromosa (similar to what you find in the mountains, just a slightly different leaf shape)

I would like to say, Western Blue Flax. But this appears too close to the ground (stem length) to be a Flax. Not sure what it is.

Scarlet Milkvetch ~ Astragalus coccineus

Sandbells ? (Hard to see the detail, but it has 5 petals) ~ Nama hispidum
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Since you asked, here are a few more from the same trip as my earlier post. April, 2011. I attended the Ridgecrest Wildflower Festival and then went further north along 395 just exploring random side roads.

The annual wildflower exhibit at Ridgecrest's Maturango Museum is not to be missed. April 10-12 this year. Same flowers from different collection sites are displayed together so you can see differences. Thousands of flowers. Lots of other programs, too. http://maturango.org/annual-wildflower-exhibit/ Festival has a Facebook page with info and lots of flower photos.

Not sure about ID's on these blooms; contributions welcome.

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
DJ, moose and wildflowers are always a great combo!
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB