cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another newbie, need advice

treyster
Explorer
Explorer
First off, love your forum. Been reading for a few months.

First the specs. Wife wanted a travel trailer so I bought a new F150 and then bought a trailer. 2016 F150 4wd 4 door with the tow package, 3.73 gear with the 9.75" axle, integrated brake controller, etc. Bought a new Gulfstream 238RK trailer, (rear kitchen). Truck has 1,647 lb cargo capacity and trailer lists UVW at 5088 lbs. I got the 10K Equalizer hitch. After loading us, the hitch, and the trailer, I got about 500 lbs for gear to reach capacity. That's fine for just the 2 of us and our mutt.

We've scheduled a shake down weekend about 10 miles from home next month. I'm having a devil of a time trying to compile a list of all the stuff I'll need being new to this. Seems every time I pick up the catalog I see 10 more things I haven't thought of. Does anyone have a basic list of things you should have?

-Does everyone use a water filter when hooked up to city water?
-Does everyone have a surge protector and what kind? Seems Progressive Industries has a nice surge system but is about $250, is something else better? Do you have a lock for it?
-Do you use a water regulator and what pressure should I aim for?
-My trailer has 2 dumps. Do most of you just switch the sewer back and forth or do you Y them together?

I'll have more questions as I get further along in this. Please bear with me as I'm really green on this stuff. I've done a fair amount of towing in the past but it was an open air race car trailer with a 454 Suburban.

Thanks in advance!
15 REPLIES 15

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
My two cents.

I never use a water filter.

I carry a surge protector for Camp Grounds I am not familiar with. It is $50.00 wonder use mostly to assure the correct polarity. Other folks are quite fussy about their surge protectors however.

I have a cheapo water regulator.

I have a single dump port.

I also have a number of "must haves" that other folks have suggested, that I never have used. Your camping style and personal likes will be your best guide as to what you will really use.

Good Luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
The PI surge protector also protects against low voltage which is pretty common at a lot of campgrounds. Low voltage=high current flow=excessive heat=damage.

An oversimplification of fact - only the more costly, fully featured EMS models protect against low voltage.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
The PI surge protector also protects against low voltage which is pretty common at a lot of campgrounds. Low voltage=high current flow=excessive heat=damage.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
Maybe I'm gambling, but I don't use a surge protector. I do measure the campground voltage several time throughout our stay though.

You are, just as is everyone who doesn't use an EMS to protect their trailer's electrical system. Are these devices "perfect"? ... no, of course not, rarely in life is anything "perfect" but using one is a darned sight better than ignoring the many campground power anomalies that can and DO occur. Typically my own Progressive EMS will disconnect from campground power 3 - 4 times each season, even has disconnected here at the house where I park our rig during the camping season. These used to be novel items a few years ago, now an EMS is mandatory IMO. Your money, your call, but don't whine later if you choose not to but at some time in the future lose your converter, or microwave oven, or A/C, or whatever. :R

Either I live in an imaginary world of "alternative facts" or these errors really did occur. :W

Open Ground Error Code

Low Voltage Error Code

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use an inline cheapie filter, but bring either a 2 or 5 gal water cooler with us for coffee and water bottle refills.
A Progressive Ind. surge protector with indicator lights that plugs into the pedestal. I use this first to check polarity. Make sure breaker is off before plugging in. I also have a volt meter plugged in an outlet in the camper. One of these days I'll go full Monty with the interior mounted on Soundguy mentioned along with the PI converter.
Water regulator with gauge. I've run into a few places that warn you to use one as their pressure fluctuates.
Good luck and have fun.
Oh, also have a way to change a tire.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use a water filter, but DW does use bottled water for coffee. Some cg water is skankier than others.
Maybe I'm gambling, but I don't use a surge protector. I do measure the campground voltage several time throughout our stay though.
Water regulator - a "must" in my book. I have a Watts regulator set at 45 PSI.
I don't "Y" my dump lines, I dump the front tanks (black & gray) then pull up to dump the rear gray tank.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
treyster wrote:
-Does everyone have a surge protector and what kind? Seems Progressive Industries has a nice surge system but is about $250, is something else better? Do you have a lock for it?

Can't say I've ever seen anyone describe a surge protector as "nice" but yes, you do want a Progressive Industries unit but not just a surge protector but a full featured EMS, either the portable EMS-PT30X or hard wire EMS-HW30C. I have a hard wire and would NEVER plug any trailer into shore power without it - those that do and claim they've never had an issue have simply just been lucky. Do yourself a favour and put one of these EMS units at the very top of your buying list. ๐Ÿ˜‰

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
-My trailer has 2 dumps. Do most of you just switch the sewer back and forth or do you Y them together?

1. Cheap, like $20, so why not. Not all city water tastes great. (Our city had e.coli over Christmas! Yeah!)
2. I have one, kind of a luxury and can be added at any time.
3. Yes, required. Get an RV one and they are already set at something like 52 pounds (I may be wrong on that number but you don't adjust them).
4. Switch would be my vote.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
newbie advice---
Once your water is hooked up at an RV park, be sure and turn the water off at the faucet if you are going to be gone for the day. You don't want to come back and find the inside of your trailer covered with water:(

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Never used a water filter
Never used a surge protector
I have an ultra cheap water regulator, but like to fill my tank instead of being connected.
I have two gray tanks, but they must both empty when I pull the only dump valve.
I always taste the water before filling. Only power problems have been my own.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
treyster wrote:
First off, love your forum. Been reading for a few months.

We've scheduled a shake down weekend about 10 miles from home next month. I'm having a devil of a time trying to compile a list of all the stuff I'll need being new to this. Seems every time I pick up the catalog I see 10 more things I haven't thought of. Does anyone have a basic list of things you should have?

buy the most expensive water filter you can afford i.e. double canisters. Almost all RV park city waters generally taste different than what you drink at home. i.e. Ariz. water is terrible. Only use white hoses to connect to your RV.

Buy the best you can afford. You can not rely on electrical systems in all RV parks. Replacing electronic systems in your trailer can get real expensive.

Buy the most expensive you can afford, I like regulators with gauges. 40 to 50 lbs.

Do not empty your black tanks until they are at least 3/4 full. Be sure you hook up your back flush while you are emptying your tanks. After your tanks empty, close the valve and fill your tanks about 1/4 full and then flush again. Then close the valves and put approx. 10 min. of water into the tanks. this will prevent the evil "pyramid" forming in your tank. Then open up your gray tanks to flush your sewer hose out.

Thanks in advance!

treyster
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I should clarify the trailer. It has a black water/gray water dump in front of the axles, and another gray water dump behind the axles because it has a rear kitchen.

So if i go with the adj water regulator, what is a max pressure I should see or adjust to? I assume there must be some pressure where you can back feed your internal water tank by overpowering the onboard pump right? Seems that would be a problem.

You convinced me on the surge, we were planning on the PI system but wanted some confirmation it was a must.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
#1 - no, but most of the time I am not connected to city water.
#2 - no, never had an issue in 15 years of camping.
#3 - yes when I use a city water hookup which is hardly ever.
#4 - I only have 1, but if I had 2 I would simply switch.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
-Does everyone use a water filter when hooked up to city water? I do most of the time.
-Does everyone have a surge protector? Very necessary! Never plug without it even at my home.
-Do you use a water regulator and what pressure should I aim for? Yes. Always. Most are preset.
-My trailer has 2 dumps. Do most of you just switch the sewer back and forth or do you Y them together? No dumping until 2/3 to 3/4 full. Black then grey. Cleans the hose. I say no Y since the grey wouldn't clean part of it.

Stop worrying! You will have a blast.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad