cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Reason To Not Have Airbags

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
I know this has been discussed to nauseum, but I am currently towing my cargo trailer that is combined weight of about 7K LBS, and some stuff in the bed of the truck and of course fuel and two bodies. I have a slow leak in the air system which after a day of traveling, it squats the truck and puts more weight on the front of the tandem trailer wheels. The truck handles the squat fine with a dually, but it causes for concern. I just add air and go at this point. Timbrens won't do this and I will be dumping the air system depending on what I find, and switching back at some point. Hopefully its just a small hole in the air line.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
44 REPLIES 44

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Why not fix the leak and get on with life.

I love my airbags. But then again I have a POS Chevy and it needs them. :B

Exactly what I was thinking. My POS is a F250. I bagged it before it was ever hitched to the fifth wheel.

i haven't had an air leak in 20 years on two trucks.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
qtla9111 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:
Could I ask, what is the difference between Sumo Springs and Super Springs?

Sumos are an extended rubber bump stop essentially. And super springs are add on leafs

Thanks. Can either be used on an SUV pulling a trailer?

Yup.
Sumos can be set to not engage until some sag in the suspension and there are a couple different durometers for the amount of "support" you're after. Super springs and add a leafs are 100% on all the time.

Look at the different options in detail and figure out how they work.
And unless your SUV is a Ford Excursion or built before the millennium, I'm not sure how you'd put add a leafs on it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:

Sumos are an extended rubber bump stop essentially. And super springs are add on leafs

Thanks. Can either be used on an SUV pulling a trailer?
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't you find the leaks in your air system with soapy water and fix them? It's really easy! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Canโ€™t wait for my BUDDY Lou to reply!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
qtla9111 wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
deltabravo wrote:
Sounds like you need a weight distribution hitch.

For a 7k trailer and a dually? Mmmmkay buddy!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SweetLou wrote:
I know this has been discussed to nauseum, but I am currently towing my cargo trailer that is combined weight of about 7K LBS, and some stuff in the bed of the truck and of course fuel and two bodies. I have a slow leak in the air system which after a day of traveling, it squats the truck and puts more weight on the front of the tandem trailer wheels. The truck handles the squat fine with a dually, but it causes for concern. I just add air and go at this point. Timbrens won't do this and I will be dumping the air system depending on what I find, and switching back at some point. Hopefully its just a small hole in the air line.

If you have a 7klb trailer that even remotely squats a dually, you either need to re-think how itโ€™s loaded or itโ€™s well over 7klbs.
So your system has a leak and thatโ€™s a reason to not have them?
If your tires have a leak is that a reason to not have tires!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BobsYourUncle wrote:
My air bag had a lot of excessive air, way too much in fact.
Enough to float 100 heavily laden trucks down the road.

But the problem went away after I divorced her....
:B

Rofl Bob!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
qtla9111 wrote:

NO!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Why not fix the leak and get on with life.

I love my airbags. But then again I have a POS Chevy and it needs them. :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bottom line Lou needs no air bags or Timbrens for such a light load ! Just ball to proper height and carry on.

LOL... You've been riding Lou really hard lately. First it was why in the hell he was replacing the idler/pulley on his serpentine belt at 80k miles and now why in the hell he has air bags. :B

Hey we are buddies!

So based on your VAST knowledge of RAM trucks do you think there is a reason for him to NEED air bags for his load he mentioned?

I never said he should not need or want bags for any reason. I added bags on my 11 DRW. It had NOTHING to do with my 4,500# pin. It was to help with some of the poor roads. I set bags to 30 psi LOADED as that did not change ride height. Bags and Bilsteins what a difference.

Biggest problem with bags is people thinking they need to air so truck sets at unloaded ride height.

I think his concern was his tandem axle trailer applying additional load to the front tires and not his truck. When he airs his air bags he can probably level his trailer. As for his air bags maybe he's envy of your truck and all your promotions of air bags convinced him to take the leap.

Anyways if you can't harass your buddy who can you harass! :B
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bottom line Lou needs no air bags or Timbrens for such a light load ! Just ball to proper height and carry on.

LOL... You've been riding Lou really hard lately. First it was why in the hell he was replacing the idler/pulley on his serpentine belt at 80k miles and now why in the hell he has air bags. :B

Hey we are buddies!

So based on your VAST knowledge of RAM trucks do you think there is a reason for him to NEED air bags for his load he mentioned?

I never said he should not need or want bags for any reason. I added bags on my 11 DRW. It had NOTHING to do with my 4,500# pin. It was to help with some of the poor roads. I set bags to 30 psi LOADED as that did not change ride height. Bags and Bilsteins what a difference.

Biggest problem with bags is people thinking they need to air so truck sets at unloaded ride height.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"