cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another solar option

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
hopefully I don't get crucified like the last guy asking about a cheap plug and play system. I can get this thing for a song and a dance. anyone have any feedback?

clicky

only looking for a cheap way to add some time to my deep cycle. really only need it to run the fridge controller and water pump
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....
26 REPLIES 26

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
clearly I have way more parasitic draw than you. I get about 3 days tops.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If that's really your only use, simply carrying another charged battery could last you at least 2 weeks, maybe more. How long are you expecting to camp?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
all we really run is the water pump for the toilet and hand washing and the controller on the fridge. I think im going to do it.

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
no use for the inverter. its on for 150 bucks (Canadian dollars so like 4.50 for you yanks). It has very limited reviews (people often only review when there is a problem) combined with Costco's willingness to take anything back and the more plentiful positive reviews elsewhere lead me to believe this may be worth the gamble.

see same panel at Canadian tire for much more money with no controller. lots of good reviews. clicky

Hell of a price difference between Crappy Tire and Costco. Probably goes on sale at Crappy Tire at 70% off at times though 🙂

I have this unit. I think from Costco (but maybe not). It works well for keeping my 6V batteries topped up for an extended long weekend (4 days) with no power. I don't really go longer than that anymore in the Provincial sites. I do have all LED and don't run the furnace, but am not trying to run a TV either.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
hopefully I don't get crucified like the last guy asking about a cheap plug and play system. I can get this thing for a song and a dance. anyone have any feedback?

Crucifixion is a minor ramification.

Lets hope when you connect it the magnetic field of the Earth does not shift, causing it to go careening out of solar orbit, into a collision trajectory with Uranus.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The correct term is amp-hours, not amps per hour.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
ya figured as much but never hurts to ask. I have thick skin and the keyboard cowboys on here don't hurt me. lots of nice folks with more knowledge than me if you fish out the rotten ones. Thanks for your opinion. I tend to agree

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
hopefully I don't get crucified like the last guy asking about a cheap plug and play system.

You have to know that's exactly what will happen :S My suggestion - ignore the forum pundits and just go buy the darned thing. You've nothing to lose as the return policy at Costco here in Canada is the most liberal of any big box chain. My bet - even though you'll only harvest a few amps per hour those few amps per hour are better than none at all. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
no use for the inverter. its on for 150 bucks (Canadian dollars so like 4.50 for you yanks). It has very limited reviews (people often only review when there is a problem) combined with Costco's willingness to take anything back and the more plentiful positive reviews elsewhere lead me to believe this may be worth the gamble.

see same panel at Canadian tire for much more money with no controller. lots of good reviews. clicky

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
There are plenty of panels of this size out there for $100 or so. Home Depot for grape solar, Renogy, and others has several. panels

On the controller, if going frugal the Windy nation 20 amp units seem well reguarded, and are inexpensive. And at 20 amps you have the ability to add another panel in the future without having to buy another controller.
kit with panel
controller alone

As to the inverter. inexpensive modified sine wave units work, but can be dangerous to your other items. Most will tell you to either get a pure sine wave inverter or not to use one.
Modified sine will work with many items, there are some power sensitive items like televisions, computers etc that are at risk from them.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Then you probably don't need the ultra-cheap inverter.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Did you read the reviews?

This does not sound very promising to me.

The thing that's nice about Costco is their return policy. I saw a guy returning a bag of jerky the other day. No kidding!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln