cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any body have a Flagstaff pop up ?

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are thinking of looking at a used one, (age unknown) and are wondering if anyone would care to tell us anything they can about their quality.
Years ago we had a Coleman Taos and are wondering if the quality is about the same?

What should we look for in particular that could be wrong with it?

Jack L
Jack & Nanci
6 REPLIES 6

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a 2003 228D for nine years, we bought it when it was 3 years old, and had been very lightly used. Pulled that little camper all over the southeast, and the only issue we had was the hinges on the dinette seat lids were plastic, and broke after about 6-7 years. Other than that we only washed it, and replaced tires once. It was built better than my 2016 TT that we bought.

We did store ours in the garage. I think really helps keep them in good shape. We bought it for $6k, and sold it for $5K nine years latter. I think I probably could have gotten more if I'd been patient. Sold it in less than 24hrs, and my phone was ringing off the hook.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2009 flagstaff 625d. Always weighed at 3500 and 500lb tongue weight On classic models you could use wdh. On MAC pups no wdh. No wdh trailers..... read between the lines.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:

My pup had a 475 lb tongue weight (without water) which was crazy because the GVWR was only 2700 lbs. it was just built strange and tongue heavy

Jeremiah

Yeh, I almost forgot how heavy the tongue weight was. It was over 400 lbs and caused the truck based 2005 Nissan Pathfinder to ride a wheely.

The Pathfinder definitely needed a WDH to tow the Forest River Pop Up which Forest river recommended against stating it would damage the camper.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our flagstaff developed a leak at the roof pull down latch and quickly destroyed the front part of the roof...it looked like particle board and quickly degraded.

We also had issues with the slide out...this was more QC as the opening for the slide out was slightly too big and we had to wiggle the slide just right to get the slide to close properly.

It was very comfy though.

My pup had a 475 lb tongue weight (without water) which was crazy because the GVWR was only 2700 lbs. it was just built strange and tongue heavy... but it towed like it was on rails as a result.

I would have another pup, but it would probably be Jayco or Palamino or even a nice well taken care of Coleman Niagra.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 2005 Forest River Rockwood Freedom (the clone of a Forest River Flagstaff) I bought new, nothing but problems. I ended up trading it in less than a year to a new 2007 Starcraft that was quality.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Other that a few small annoying things like screws that are too short to hold the cabinet doors on, it has been pretty good.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation