cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

any full timers in small tt?

kellybelly
Explorer
Explorer
Just wo xering ic a 17 ft tt is too small for full time camping.we are New to tt and have not yet purchased. I cant make up y mind as to whether a 17ft tt is too small or not? Advise,, suggestions? Thanks
30 REPLIES 30

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
Our first was a 15 but when the measurement was hitch to bumper. It had everything needed but you needed to go outside to change your mind. I think the minimum is a separate bedroom. We have a 25 that has the separate bedroom and under the right conditions I think we could spend seasons in it. Right conditions mean good location to spend time out of the camper and use it much like I used my dorm room in college, a place to sleep, study and spend downtime, not extended rainy days.

kellybelly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks

Boskie
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer is 26' and for summer trips its fine. For full timing I would want something bigger...;)
Good Sam RV club member

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Kelly, take a look at Taylor Coach's offerings.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
While I don't full-time, I "long time" in an Escape 17B. Have completed a 111 day & 132 day trip and am 37 days into a year long trip. I do have the advantage that there is only me, and that I moved from tent camping into the trailer, so the size is about the same; the conveniences a huge upgrade! I do admit it gets small after 2-3 days of rain, but otherwise the fact that I fit almost anywhere, get 15MPG towing & 25MPG unhooked makes up for it.

If interested, links to the trips: 2011 Trip, 2012 Trip, 2014 Trip

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
I see someone already posted the link to RV Sue and Crew. That's a wonderful blog of a woman and her two dogs who FT in a 17' Casita.

I have a T@B and know a lady that lives in hers while volunteering at different organizations. Chris and Cherie also full-timed in their T@B clamshell before moving to a 17' Oliver and are now in a bus.
Technomadia

I stay in my T@B up to two weeks and am never ready to return home. When my daughter is along for long trips, we keep our clothes in the back of my Jeep.

A man on the Teardrops and Tiny Trailers forum lived in his standard teardrop over the course of a year.

I would recommend a trial run of at least 3 months.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to a blog written by a couple who full time in a Northern Light (or is it Lite?) truck camper.

blog

bhh
Explorer
Explorer
We just got a 19' We found a big difference in storage and bath facilities between 17 and 19. Some 17' were almost claustrophobic. Many had beds with access from only one side.

I guess one other thing to consider is do you plan to use the bathroom / gray-black tanks or use the campground facilities.

And what's your tow vehicle -- will there be storage room there?

That being said, I'm sure there are people who full-time in Class B & Class C that aren't much bigger.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I know people who full time in a TC. It really depends on how much time you plan on spending in the unit. For those who are "outdoors" folks, they don't spend much time indoors except for night time so the size isn't as much of an issue.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We only RV from June through September. Our TT is 35' feet long with 2 big slideouts. By the end of August I am usually ready to come home. Could not be a full-timer. Too much togetherness, I guess.
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like my 20 foot. A 23 foot would be perfect I think. I had a 17 and even for weekend camping like I do it was a bit too small. Mostly because the bathroom in it was so small.

As for taking your family and pets into your house bathroom for a week? I know I'm poor but, you all have 17 foot bathrooms in your houses? Wow. And, campers are laid out different then the bathroom in your house.

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Full timing in a 17' TT would be really hard for me. We have a 34' TT and just spending about 3 months in the summer in it, is enough for me. I enjoy getting back home. I feel "too much togetherness is not good."
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
K...B, over the years I've owned about every type of RV. Once we had enough time off I bought a used 36' DP because of posts on here about 36' being the max of SP, NP, USFS, BLM CGs. Did not take long to realize that's not true so on the third try we got what works for us. Twice the husband is too true and it could be four times after five days of rainy weather. Buying a bigger tow vehicle and RV is cheaper than a divorce... so I've been told.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

kellybelly
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Twice the husband on 1/2 the money in 1/10th... NO, 1/20th the space? Why are you going so small? I always say: "Buy more RV than you think you need... ONE TIME." and you are asking about "staying beautiful while onthe raod" in 17'. Good luck, but then I'm comming at this from 42' and four slide for half time.
lol! Twice the husband, that alone is enough to go bibber