cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any thoughts on a repair?

JrStafford
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased my first truck camper a couple of months ago. A 2000 Fleetwood Elkhorn 8S. Being in a hurry and not having a clue what I was doing, the guy slipped by a damaged camper on me. After I left his house, I took a picture to send to my wife, and noticed a 'fold' in the fiberglass above the propane box. (It was late in the day and not that noticeable at his place, plus I think it's gotten worse since I took this picture.)

Closer look:

The other side looks better, you can see basically a straight line down the same area (barely noticeable), because I think the whole bed area is sagging.

We thought it was an issue right at the jack, because that jack was loose. I pulled it apart, pulled the propane box out, and we put a metal brace inside to shore up the jack. I also could see partway up into the camper above the propane box, and all the wood braces that I could see were fine. So I loaded it and headed out. Going up a washboard road the camper was 'slapping' the top of my truck, and now I'm fearful that the entire corner might come down. I thought I would take a loss and sell for a 'project', but it's a nice camper and I would like to keep it. I also don't want to pay a fortune to fix it, as I won't use it much.

I wonder if anyone here has some insight on beefing up the overhang part so it don't fall on my truck? I'm just thinking some heavy duty 'L' braces, maybe one on each side? Even if it looks not so pretty, I don't mind. I'm wondering if I could put braces on the sides, and maybe lag to metal plates on the inside the camper for stability? I could always paint them to match the camper, so it's less noticeable. One guy suggested 2 long pieces of angle iron on the roof, connecting the overhang to the middle of the camper, and then sealing it up. Not even noticeable that way, but I wasn't sure how much that would help to hold up the overhang section. I don't even care about the fold on the side still showing, I just want the thing to be sturdy so I can continue to use it.

Anybody with any thoughts, that might know more about the internal build of these campers?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚
36 REPLIES 36

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
It will not get better by driving it...
I would not want to drive it as it is, not even to the closest repair facility. Can you get some soft foam board that you can wedge between the cab roof and the camper cabover, so that the cabover weight is distributed evenly? The truck's roof is not made to carry loads, so do at your own risk. Normally, I would advise strongly against doing this, but...
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

JrStafford
Explorer
Explorer
No, the damage on the front was me lol. Never having one of these before, I forgot about the overhang and pulled too close to a door on my trailer, and it cut a nice groove in there. It was all after the fact, and it was just cosmetic. The damage further back was done before that.

The scary thing is I'm 300 miles from home working on a forest fire. I expect to drive home about 50 miles an hour, my fear is hitting a big dip on the road in the whole thing coming down on my truck.

So you think the damage is actually on the driver side of the camper? All of the damage appears to be on the passenger side, as seen in the picture.

It's funny that you say that, because at one point someone repaired something on the driver side cabover. Like the floor had fell out or something.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
That complete corner is ... no good.
The jack mount should be straight. it is not. There are tears in the camper skin above the jack mount and below the LPG compartement.
The passenger's side cabover is probably only hanging by the top beam.
You need to disassemble to assess the damage. Likely there is pretty bad rot there. The damage could also be the result of an accident. When you unload the camper, keep the cabover properly supported and keep out from underneath it until you are sure it will hold.

I feel sorry you had to have this experience. This will be much, much more work than you anticipate. It is not very difficult work, just a lot of it. Do you have a place where you can work on the camper? Under a roof?

ETA what is the damage on the passenger cabover front corner? Looks like it hit something? Are those scrape marks under the cabover window? That would explain...

ETA2: error corrected
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

JrStafford
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
***Link Removed***

Got it, pics now posted.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Elkhorns are famous for rotting, as are most old campers that weren't taken care of
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
photo posting
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP