cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any Thoughts on Arctic Fox 996 Would Be Appreciated

backlater
Explorer
Explorer
We are new at this and thinking of purchasing an Arctic Fox 996 and a dually...any input from someone who has an Arctic Fox 996 or anything you would like to share that might be helpful would be much appreciated...thank you!
7 REPLIES 7

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
Our experience might be right up your alley. We purchased a 2013 Chevy 3500HD LWB Dually(see sig line for mods) and a 2013 AF 996. Couldn't be happier with our set up and yes, it's basically a AF990 with a kitchen slide. There is extra storage with that slide and being our first wet bath, we like it better as it allows for more kitchen counter space. Everything works great and it drives just fine. Not sure why the comment was made about rethinking your model choice if you have a LWB truck, that's what we have it fits fine. Chevy did make the rear stake pockets rounded which makes for close quarters loading, but home made guides have fixed that concern. Double check the match up of your camper front bumpers as it relates to your box front as Chevy's don't match up well, so I extended those. If you search for my posts you'll see some of the mods I've done, but feel free to PM me with any questions.

IMHO you've chosen a great floor plan and am confident you'll be very happy with your choice, we are!
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

gbsb
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 990 on a F450 Ford and really enjoy the rig. Spent 5 months in it this past summer and had a great time, the extra slide would be nice. But the paid for is better, ours has been a great camper good luck and enjoy.

macdale4
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought an AF 1140 wet bath and really like it so far. I haven't had it long enough to tell you anything about the durability, but I really like the 1140's storage. If you have a long bed dually, you might want to rethink your choice of models.
Dale & Eileen
1998 Lance 945 Legend
2011 Ford F-350, dually, 4 X 4

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
As noted, AF has great build quality in a heavy camper. If possible I suggest you check out the different models in person. To me the 996 certainly feels bigger than the 990 in the same length because of the double slides but does weigh more. I think the 1140/1150 (wet baths) feel similarly open but add a lot of storage at roughly the same weight. The trade-off is they overhanging the truck more.

Note the model comparisons and the wet weight estimates found here:

Truck Camper Magazine AF buyers guide

Make sure you have enough truck for these campers.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
With our 811, we have camped in 20deg and 110deg temps. Heat/AC in a 4 season rated camper works great.

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Build quality and overall fit and finish is what sold us in the end to go with AF. The 996 is their newest model so there's not a whole lot out there (yet). All AF TCs are built the same way, so as an owner of their 1140 model I will tell you that we love ours and could not be happier.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the best built products out there on the market.