cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone Cancelling Truck Camper Trips Due to Fuel Prices?

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please, no political comments.

We have a 5,000 mile trip planned with reservations made, but we are reconsidering due to fuel prices. 60 cents per mile for diesel is pretty bad.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos
84 REPLIES 84

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it beer or gas for the truck or both? Too complicated!

Another 80 here--only advice is to decide when saving up for later ? how long is that ? is kind of stupid, unless you have a crystal ball that works.

Remember the song, "It's later than you think--enjoy yourself while you're still in the pink!" ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
โ€ฆ.. Been thinking about canceling our trip to Alaska but havenโ€™t decided yet. Weโ€™re above Dawson Creek, BC & I figure Iโ€™ll make my mind up in another month or twoโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ.But I should be on my way back by thenโ€ฆ My calendar gets thinner every yearโ€ฆ

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
One way to save is to use your gas CC. Sinclair gives you .10 off per gallon using the card and Chevron gives you .05 off per gallon and .02 credit on your overall bill. You can see that we always use Sinclair right now.

Get the Upside app. Locally I have never gotten less than 14 cents per gallon back. Has been as high as 32 cents. Check it out. Our adult son got us hooked up with it just a few months ago, and the cash adds up quickly.

Thank you!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

Get the Upside app. Locally I have never gotten less than 14 cents per gallon back. Has been as high as 32 cents. Check it out. Our adult son got us hooked up with it just a few months ago, and the cash adds up quickly.

So what's the downside to the Upside App? Or the catch? I've looked at the website, and don't understand how it's possible.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not a T/C,but towing a 5th wheel. Left Wisconsin 3 days ago, doing Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Hell's Canyon for 4-5000 miles. Boondocking at Badlands BLM (The Wall) this very minute! Fantastic place on the edge of the Badlands. Paid over $5/gallon for diesel yesterday for the first time ever. Hurts a little, but glad we're going. Do it!
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Elkhunter2372
Explorer
Explorer
Paying $5.29/gallon in Western Colorado. Did a trip for Memorial Day that cost me $250 in diesel fuel for a 3 day weekend but the smiles and laughs from sitting in the camper playing cards, watching movies, and listening to the rain and watching it snow? Priceless! Prices wont stop us from going, but I will mumble about it some.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
One way to save is to use your gas CC. Sinclair gives you .10 off per gallon using the card and Chevron gives you .05 off per gallon and .02 credit on your overall bill. You can see that we always use Sinclair right now.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
Ramblin' Ralph wrote:
I'm 80. I don't have time to wait for lower prices. I'm starting Ramblin' 2022 next week for 5 months! ๐Ÿ™‚

Give 'em heck Ralph..74 here with the same attitude...lol

Looking forward to your reports again Ralph.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ramblin' Ralph wrote:
I'm 80. I don't have time to wait for lower prices. I'm starting Ramblin' 2022 next week for 5 months! ๐Ÿ™‚

Give 'em heck Ralph..74 here with the same attitude...lol
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We always consider the difference between normal fuel price and the scalper fuel price. It's not $5.67 a gallon is too high, it's only $1.57 higher than last trip. So, at per thousand miles an 10 mpg, we only spend an extra $157 dollars for the trip - well, for each thousand miles.

If we can't afford that, we should get out of camping ... sell our $45,000 rig and all our gear. And stay home ... think about the difference between spending $5.67 a gallon as $567 opposed to the $410 already planned in the budget, and instead of $5.67 a gallon, when you budget just think only $157 more. So, if $157 more keeps you home, don't know how to change that. In fact, if you cut your trip one travel day short, you'd recapture that $157 in fuel and also camp fees.

Trip based on 1000 miles and ten MPG ... equates to $.567 per mile in fuel cost per 1000 miles. When fuel hits a dollar a mile, that might keep me home, or closer ...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
mike/kellie wrote:
We're still doing the western states swing. Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada and Home. Home prices set the bar high. Looking forward to sub $6.00 diesel

$5.69 to $5.79 here in Idaho.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
No truck camper here, but towing a 13k FW is pretty heavy and we don't plan on discontinuing our trips. We just returned from a trip to the mountains. We planned as we always have, to take one day to check out the local campgrounds, fill up our tank and back to our site where we stayed put for the rest of the trip.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm going to be doing the sights and fishing I never did here in Flushington State. Lots of BLM to explore and Forest Service Land. Sweetie is still handcuffed to the worktable but I'm free as a bird.
I was toying with Alaska but not sure about this season. I still have time to decide yeah or nay. Current conditions could make it easy to get into places normally booked full.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're still doing the western states swing. Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada and Home. Home prices set the bar high. Looking forward to sub $6.00 diesel
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body