cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone care to place their bet?

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would imagine once the new Ram hits the lot there will be two races going on. Who is going to be first to put the trucks head to head lugging a 20,000 lb RV up the mountain and secondly who's going to get to the top of the mountain first. I'll say Pickuptrucks.com is going to be first to determine that Chevy is still King of the Mountain. If I replace my truck in 2014 I will have a hard time trying to decide which way to go.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
31 REPLIES 31

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
ricatic wrote:
nremtp143 wrote:
By then, it will strictly be preference as to whether you like a bowtie, horns or a blue oval. They will all do anything we as campers request, just one may do it with a little more finesse than the others.:B But, I want to be one of the first to read/watch the shootout!!!! While eating popcorn:B

I do not care who's truck is the fastset...but I do want to buy the truck that has a warranty...oop's...that eliminates Ford!!!!

Regards

Actually if warranty was an option I probaly would not be willing to pay much for it. I kind of wonder what warranty costs the consumer on these trucks?

With the prices they charge for these trucks....who knows? With the way they treat some of their customers, couldn't be much. You can bet they're not losing any money...kind of makes you wonder just how much these trucks really cost to build when they can easily take $11,000 off of a brand new 12', like they did with mine...and we all know that they didn't lose any money on that deal......(it's not rocket science)

Also a sad scenario when Ford, GM and Chrysler STILL only have the 3-36 bumper to bumper warranty and manufacturers like Mitsubishi, Mazda, Kia and Hyundai to name a few offer 4 to 5 yr bumper to bumper warranties on their vehicles and include roadside service for the same amount of years, not just three like mine... it speaks VOLUMES when the Big 3 doesn't have enough faith in the vehicles they build to warranty them longer than some of those I mentioned above...and we still pay the high prices, expound upon their "greatness" and stay loyal til death to the "Big Three"...no matter the cost.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
ricatic wrote:
nremtp143 wrote:
By then, it will strictly be preference as to whether you like a bowtie, horns or a blue oval. They will all do anything we as campers request, just one may do it with a little more finesse than the others.:B But, I want to be one of the first to read/watch the shootout!!!! While eating popcorn:B

I do not care who's truck is the fastset...but I do want to buy the truck that has a warranty...oop's...that eliminates Ford!!!!

Regards

Actually if warranty was an option I probaly would not be willing to pay much for it. I kind of wonder what warranty costs the consumer on these trucks?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Diesel Power Mag...

Link

That was 2011 test, this is 2013....

I know... Diesel Power Mag is my prediction who will post up the first set of tests, per the question by the OP. :W

Gotcha:)
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
NC Hauler wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Diesel Power Mag...

Link

I know... Diesel Power Mag is my prediction who will post up the first set of tests, per the question by the OP. :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Jeez now the steering wheel is too thin.

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer an interior that is not so busy and more reserved. Just because ford has only changed headlights ,bumpers, and interiors oh yes also diesel engines 4 times on a truck that has not changed for 14 years. Gm will be going into a 3rd complete truck redo and an interior that is refined is good for me. Fords are too lego like just my opinion of coarse. If I had to drop 50 grand I think proven powertrain would outweigh inside bling.

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
Engineer9860 wrote:
YnotTurbo wrote:
Too bad Chevy has such a boring interior and exterior to go with such a good engine and tranny..

You're joking right? I think the new Chevy is one of the best looking trucks ever built.

I went and drove the 2013 3500 Denali. The exterior is ok, but the interior is boring. Seats are not all the comfortable and the steering wheel is too thin. Just my opinion. Still a nice truck, just vanilla.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
I care.

I think they will all be so close (performance wise) it won't matter anymore.

The buying decision will then be based on personal preference.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I would imagine once the new Ram hits the lot there will be two races going on. Who is going to be first to put the trucks head to head lugging a 20,000 lb RV up the mountain and secondly who's going to get to the top of the mountain first. I'll say Pickuptrucks.com is going to be first to determine that Chevy is still King of the Mountain. If I replace my truck in 2014 I will have a hard time trying to decide which way to go.
I don't care. Just my $.02 worth.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Engineer9860 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Real world opinions the Ram does have the best EB and will again in 2013.

28K 6% grades around Flagstaff, AZ yesterday cruise set at 62 it held 65 in 4th. On 7% 5 mile grade I let it get to 70 and it held there then I touched brakes once and easily brought it down to 62. With 3:42 gears to boot, 4:10 would be much bether.

On a side note I did hit a new low climbing, going north on 17 from Cotttonwood to Flagstaff. I was able to hold 55 climbing except for a short section I hit 51.

Is this real world opinion based on the fact that you had all three trucks (C/G,F,&D/R) to compare side by side at the same time under the same conditions?

Nope just what I have read from different articles and knowing how to make the brake work to the fullest extent. Like going down the pass in the same gear as you go up. That takes operator input. If I were to have put the trans in 3rd instead of letting the computer do the work I would not have needed to touch the brakes at all as I mentioned earlier.

If you test all three with the same load the same rear axle ratio and hold a specific gear the Cummins will hold a slower speed.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Engineer9860
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

28K 6% grades around Flagstaff, AZ yesterday cruise set at 62 it held 65 in 4th. On 7% 5 mile grade I let it get to 70 and it held there then I touched brakes once and easily brought it down to 62. With 3:42 gears to boot, 4:10 would be much bether.

On a side note I did hit a new low climbing, going north on 17 from Cotttonwood to Flagstaff. I was able to hold 55 climbing except for a short section I hit 51.

Is this real world opinion based on the fact that you had all three trucks (C/G,F,&D/R) to compare side by side at the same time under the same conditions?
In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
ricatic wrote:
nremtp143 wrote:

Regards

agree.....reliability trumps who drives up the mountain the fastest..

I think the Chevy is the "fastest", I've owned 3 Chevy D/A combos, last two were Crew Cab Dually's, and will say they were great, no issues, loved them, but I think the interior of the Ram is nicer than the interior of the Chevy. I test drove an LTZ 2013 Chevy 3500HD CC/Dually after Christmas for an entire weekend and could compare to the 2012 laramie and my own personal opinion, ( not worth a whole lot ), I think the Ram is a better looking truck, inside and out at this point then Ford and Chevy/GM. Don't know how the 2013' Ram 3500 Dually would fair against a 2013 Chevy and 2013 Ford in these "test", but, all three will get the job done, guess the picking is for those who are loyalist and will only buy "their brand", or those who are looking for the best bang for their buck, and those who look at all three aspects and pick a truck that will fit their needs, meet their own "curb appeal", and again, best value for their money...doesn't matter if truck is "loaded out" or not...still same suspension, engine and tranny in each truck whether top of the line trim, or base truck, comparing apples to apples.

As far as exhaust brake, if Chevy's or Fords is better than the one in my 12', than that is AWESOME!!! Best thing that ever happened to a pick up truck. Going down some of the very steep curvy roads that I travel, the exhaust brake works flawlessly, I can put truck in cruise at 50-55 mph and that's where speed stays, if I don't use cruise and let the truck slow down on it's own, towing my 5er loaded to 15,750# now, I believe the truck would almost slow to a stop and I don't even have to tap the brake, it's in T/H and still works...I'm a believer in EB's now:) One of the few EB's, when turned on and not in T/H, it still works, and sounds REALLY cool also:)
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Diesel Power Mag...

Link

B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet