cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone utilizing space forward of the wheel wells?

idaho_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Question to this seasoned group:

Is anyone using the space between the TC and the truck, forward of the wheel wells?

My dad had a TC when I was growing up (which is a major factor in why I have one for my own now), and he went thru the trouble of installing hinged doors in his camper to access this otherwise unused area. We stashed various stuff down there: soda, clothes, fishing tackle, etc.

My current TC being an AF with the basement, there's not nearly as much unused space forward of the wheel wells as there was on my dad's 1974 model year camper. And I'm not too keen anyway of cutting holes in my camper. But seems like it might be a reasonable location to put an extra batter or two.

Anyone got any mods you're willing to share?
25 REPLIES 25

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
My camper and truck bed rails are such that I can dump all kinds of stuff in the sides after the camper is loaded but it is just for travel as the camper always comes off once at our destination.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

idaho_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Fisher Bill wrote:
Fire wood on one side and dog food and accessories on the other

Does your year AF have access doors, or did you have to do some cutting to enable access?

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Fire wood on one side and dog food and accessories on the other
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just use my space for dirty clothes. When we can't stuff any more in it must be time to wash or go home.

Adding batteries there wouldn't work as I do winter camping and the batteries should be kept warm to maximum capacity.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

rickjo
Explorer
Explorer
With a basement model Lance, I don't have access there when the camper is on. Period.

What I do store there are items I need for the pickup bed when I remove the camper while traveling. I have a 2x6 hinged in the center that folds in half. Unfolded, it spans the truck bed to help keep cargo from sliding toward the rear. The ends are contoured to fit the corresponding slots in the edges of the truck bed. It fits very tightly when installed. I suppose I could provide a photo if someone is really interested.

I also have a rear tailgate net thingy (Bully brand) that keeps cargo in and satisfies certain state's laws requiring a tailgate.
2019 F-350 4WD Crew Cab DRW 6.2 l gas engine (6500 lbs cargo capacity!)
2007 LanceMax 1181 loaded, King memory foam mattress (driver's side locker omitted).
"Leave the trail a little better than you found it."

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
I keep second battery weird in, front left and bbq utensil kit and extra tarp in the right.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the driver's side I have no access door but put the 2nd 12 volt battery there before loading the camper. The passenger side has a door and I only keep a short shovel and fire poker there. It has never got wet in there but I don't trust it to stay dry for other items.

I added this external battery charger terminal so hooking up the 2nd battery is easy.

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
We only have access door left front and right rear. Dirty clothes and AGM 31 battery left front. Box to prevent stuff sliding out the back holds dog food and dishes when traveling right rear. Also remember the 70s campers with little access doors all over the place.
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies

joe123
Explorer
Explorer
I have two six volt deep cycle batteries in this location I have them wired to feed the 12 volt glass mat deep cycle battery in the battery compartment, this gives me 330 amp hours' of power.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I have the door on RS in front of wheel well. I keep gallon jugs of drinking water in there. I have tried 12 can case of soda but on last trip the wind drove rain down into there and everything got wet. in fact there was so much wind at the outerbanks of NC it was driving the rain around the gasket on the door.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without looking, I can only guess what I have stored forward of the wheel wells:
Paper towels (I start my travels with close to a case of trifold), toilet paper, dirty clothes, extra shoes/boots, tools, electric space heater, extra rope and bungie cords. The first couple of years I traveled with a gap of about 3" between the truck sides and camper. Rain did not make it into the storage area, but I did have insects and even small rodents. I have since sealed the area with dense insulation foam. I think it helps keep the camper warm and keeps the critters out. I usually also throw a couple of moth balls into the space, just in case.