32 REPLIES 32

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
MM49 wrote:
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
MM49 wrote:

The Chevy sales increase is due to increased incentives up to 16.4%. The highest in the industry.

Yahoo News "The company also saw a $200 million drop in operating earnings as it was forced to offer pricing deals on its current large truck line ahead of the launch of the new models"
mm49

Gotta love internet news. I suggest that you dig deeper into other sources.

DETROITโ€”General Motors Co.'s GM +3.15%first-quarter profit fell a less-than-expected 11% as a result of a weaker performance in North America, where the largest U.S. auto maker is spending heavily to launch new pickup trucks, continuing losses overseas and the impact of currency turbulence in South America.

Wall Street had expected a bigger earnings decline, and GM shares were up 4.5% at $31.54 in midday trading on Thursday in New York.
You are quoting aggregate numbers. If you want to contest the point you should address the topic of my comment. "Sales incentive per volume of trucks sold" You are trying to cloud the issue. Nice try thou.
MM49

I will address your nonsense. GM has delivered 157,411 Silverado's and Sierra's in Q1. Your reported $200 million would be $1,270.32 per vehicle. For a vehicle that has sold almost 750,000 vehicles over its life (deliveries of GMT900 pickups), a $1300 incentive to remain competitive is not unheard of in the automotive industry.

Also, this would say that the trucks was the only part of the business that cost the company money.

As indicated, the company was planning on a decrease, and Wall Street analysts were happy with the results.

Anything else you would like explained with facts?

Let's see. Since the much hyped GM IPO the Dow has gone from 11K to 15K and GM has gone from 32 to ...wait for it... 32. Yea, Wall Street just loves GM.

And your $1300 incentives number above is additional incentives above and beyond other incentives. Heavy discounting is partly to blame to GM woes in the early 2000's that lead to their destruction so I don't take that as a positive. One more thing, the stock price also reflects the 49.5 billion tax free gift treasury gave GM as part of the bailout. When these preferential tax credits run out (if ever) and GM actually has to pay corporate tax the stock will go down accordingly.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Glad to see consumers buying again and vehicle sales are up. However a peak at what percentage of fleet sales vs individual consumers makes up a truck makers total sales would be interesting.

Remember, there are different types of fleet deliveries. A smaller business may buy pickups, and if they buy 5 or more in a 12 month period they are considered fleet. These small businesses will not be receiving great fleet discounts.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
MM49 wrote:

The Chevy sales increase is due to increased incentives up to 16.4%. The highest in the industry.

Yahoo News "The company also saw a $200 million drop in operating earnings as it was forced to offer pricing deals on its current large truck line ahead of the launch of the new models"
mm49

DETROITโ€”General Motors Co.'s GM +3.15%first-quarter profit fell a less-than-expected 11% as a result of a weaker performance in North America, where the largest U.S. auto maker is spending heavily to launch new pickup trucks, continuing losses overseas and the impact of currency turbulence in South America.

Wall Street had expected a bigger earnings decline, and GM shares were up 4.5% at $31.54 in midday trading on Thursday in New York.
You are quoting aggregate numbers. If you want to contest the point you should address the topic of my comment. "Sales incentive per volume of trucks sold" You are trying to cloud the issue. Nice try thou.
MM49

I will address your nonsense. GM has delivered 157,411 Silverado's and Sierra's in Q1. Your reported $200 million would be $1,270.32 per vehicle. For a vehicle that has sold almost 750,000 vehicles over its life (deliveries of GMT900 pickups), a $1300 incentive to remain competitive is not unheard of in the automotive industry.

Also, this would say that the trucks was the only part of the business that cost the company money.

As indicated, the company was planning on a decrease, and Wall Street analysts were happy with the results.

Anything else you would like explained with facts?
Dad of Four Girls
Wife

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to see consumers buying again and vehicle sales are up. However a peak at what percentage of fleet sales vs individual consumers makes up a truck makers total sales would be interesting.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:
MM49 wrote:
MM49

how's that new RAM of yours doing?

I like the truck alot. Great mileage both towing and unloaded. No problems in 10k. I like the Firestone tires also.
MM49

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
MM49

how's that new RAM of yours doing?

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
MM49 wrote:

mm49

MM49

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to be one of the Chevy 39,395 sales for April.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
Ram up 48% for the one month (April 2013) only but only 23% for the YTD vs 2012. Chevrolet Silverado alone is up 23.5% for the same YTD sales.

It takes a lot less numbers of actual truck sales to increase 23% having 109,003 total sold than having a 23% increase with 156,044 total sold. Like approx only 65% of an actually sold number of trucks or 1.5 to 1 required to equal. Use the math you learned in school and don't be misled.

I'm just happy to see all the increases in sales over 2012 of the presently in production trucks as that's what's important. Nissan offerings are the one actual sour note!

Taking the entire quote in context, if you are "....just happy to see all the increases in sales over 2012....", then I can just imagine how elated you would be if Ram sales dropped. I understand the fact that you don't like Rams, but sometimes the never-ending negatives just seem a bit much.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
larry, that's what I had said in my first post on this thread but the same certain members as usual have distinct reading comprehension problems.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Good news for all of us if the 3 brands are doing well. Why not just hope for the best.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, one thing is for sure and totally documented. Ford and GM's truck glass are each twice as full of liquid as Dodge/Ram's glass and have less than half the gas. There's true balance and based on actual documented facts! Might be "news" to some readers but most are very smart and can read and think for themselves without the fact filtering glasses on.
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
Dadoffourgirls,

Are you trying to edjamacate MM49 with real facts and knowledge? You're wasting your time cause he wears those filtering Fiat owned Chryslers glasses and probably even wears them when in bed. Read some of his post history and it's self-explanatory!

Just hoping to provide others with a balanced approach to looking at the news.

I once asked my 5th grader daughter if my glass was half-empty or half-full. She answered it was full! Half liquid, half gas.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dadoffourgirls,

Are you trying to edjamacate MM49 with real facts and knowledge? You're wasting your time cause he wears those filtering Fiat owned Chryslers glasses and probably even wears them when in bed. Read some of his post history and it's self-explanatory!