cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arctic Fox 990 is my choice - but convince me otherwise!

rob990
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would like to buy an Arctic Fox 990 (used) because...
  • Arctic Fox includes a manual backup crank for the slideout in case one runs out the battery while boondocking 🙂
  • Arctic Fox 990 water tank sizes are SUBSTANTIALLY bigger than comparable campers from most other manufacturers (we are big water users)
  • Wet bath near back door is to our liking for returning from muddy adventures (not unique to AF)
  • Looks like squeezing in to use the bathroom with the slideout in is do-able, and it might be possible to have the factory install one of their couch/sofa options replacing the dinette which is even easier to squeeze by

Do any other brands satisfy these conditions? Looking to buy used around 2012 or newer.
20 REPLIES 20

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
We really enjoy our Fox Landing and many people have commented how nice it is.

Bedlam
If you tow, neither of the may above may be a good option. The Adventurer requires a longer extension due to rear step/deck while the Fox Landing may get in the way of the trailer tongue jack without a longer extension. This is why we did not go with the landing.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
ICamel wrote:
If you go with the AF990 I would recommend you look at retrofitting a "Fox Landing" step. Definitely one of the best recent innovations for TC's. We absolutely love ours!
https://www.torklift.com/index.php/products/truck-camper-bumpers/fox-landing-bumper

rob990 wrote:
  • Arctic Fox includes a manual backup crank for the slideout in case one runs out the battery while boondocking 🙂
  • Arctic Fox 990 water tank sizes are SUBSTANTIALLY bigger than comparable campers from most other manufacturers (we are big water users)
  • Wet bath near back door is to our liking for returning from muddy adventures (not unique to AF)
  • Looks like squeezing in to use the bathroom with the slideout in is do-able, and it might be possible to have the factory install one of their couch/sofa options replacing the dinette which is even easier to squeeze by

Do any other brands satisfy these conditions? Looking to buy used around 2012 or newer.

We looked and tried the fox landing and we both preferred the Adventurer custom bumper. Just more user friendly for us .

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
The 990 is a good choice. Our 3 1/2 year old AF 996 has been great for the 157 nights spent in it since new. Very happy with the quality and factory response to any questions. Buying a DRW is a smart move for whatever TC you choose.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
990 Dry Bath must be a new plan. I've never seen that one before.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might think about getting an AF1140 or AF1150. Both add a lot of additional storage space and have wet or dry bath options. Since with the 990 already requires a dually the two or three hundred pounds additional weight shouldn't change much. Biggest disadvantage is more overhang.

Bedlam
ICamel wrote:
If you go with the AF990 I would recommend you look at retrofitting a "Fox Landing" step. Definitely one of the best recent innovations for TC's. We absolutely love ours!

2012 was the year AF introduced the Fox Landing. In beefing up the rear bumper, they also reenforced the floor so you can use it off the truck with full tanks and no additional support.

Big_Rig1
Explorer
Explorer
If anyone is getting an AF with a Fox Landing, check to see who made the Fox Landing. If it was made by TorkLift, they advertise a Life Time Warranty. Mine was made by Class A Precision & was put on at the factory as far as I know. I think that TorkLift only supplies it for the after market. You may want to check this info out. I have trouble with a weld coming loose on my Class A Precision Fox Landing. My dealer is in the process of checking with them to see if they back their Fox Landing. Northwood says on their web site that Northwood & TorkLift designed & engineered the Fox Landing but that doesn't necessarily mean that TorkLift built your Fox Landing.

Big Rig (John)
04.5 Dodge Quad,3500,CTD,DRW,4X2,48RE, Ranchos, Tatman Wedgies
2015 Arctic Fox 990, 100W solar, power rear awning, Fox Landing, no generator, no oven

Jon_L
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Look at the Host Ranier as well.

Have one for sale if your interested

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.torklift.com/index.php/products/truck-camper-bumpers/fox-landing-bumper

rob990 wrote:

ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

macdale4
Explorer
Explorer
Not an AF fan. Had quite a few problems with a new one and the company wouldn't stand behind their product. Of course if you are buying one over a year old that won't be a problem.
Dale & Eileen
1998 Lance 945 Legend
2011 Ford F-350, dually, 4 X 4

Bedlam
My 811 is a small version of the 990. We have been very happy with our AF but will be going with something bigger than AF currently offers this Spring. The AF is well built and has good capacities for a truck camper (I say this because we came from a toy hauler and were spoiled with space and tank size).

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eagle Cap 990 is pretty much the same (slightly smaller tanks) but their 990 stopped in 2010 or 2011.

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
Big tanks, rear bath in a high quality TC. Arctic Fox looks like a great choice. Triple slides have a bath up front. From what I have seen on the used market, a newer 990 used is almost as much as new. Local dealer here sells 990 for 30 to 32k. I have seen 3 to 4 year old 990s almost as much.
My opinion.
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS