cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arctic fox truck camper 990 or 992?

cathtea
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering buying a 2016 992 vs a 2017 990 TC. I have been over the floor plans, weight and other specs. Still indecisive. it is for true 4 season camping in Yukon and Alaska with 2 adults and 2 kids. Planning to have it for 10 years. Anyone have experience with either of these TCs they would like to share?

Also considering a 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie dually. Overall its a big rig for us, but I think it will take us places that we want to go 🙂
49 REPLIES 49

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
cathtea wrote:
Thank you everyone for your opinions - they are always good fuel for thought! Im learning a lot from your experience.

We got a 3500 DRW with 410, hope it will serve us well w growing family and off road. now working on details for TC including solar panel, tie downs... we are told we don't need Torque lift "stable load" by our dealer but Arctic Fox says we do... any thoughts?

Stable loads are suspension enhancements, basically a wedge or spacer that engage the overload springs earlier in the suspension travel to reduce sag under load.
IMO you'll be able to pack the camper wherever you want without any enhancements and gen decide what if any route you want to go. (But driving it from down here to way up there, may consider it before the trip just for your comfort or peace of mind).

If you're talking torklift tie down brackets, there are other options. I believe the torklift are the most popular. Mine are well built and do the job. I wanted to be hooked to the frame, not the bedI wanted to be hooked to the frame, not the bed and the cheesy new bumpers on these trucks like other systems.

You pick d the most capable truck for sure! It will haul a big camper with comfort and ease.

FYI, the Happyjac (if that is what you are referring to), bolts to the bed and the frame, at least mine does and I agree, the bumpers on newer trucks are tinfoil. For sure the Troklift rear mounts or receiver hitch extensions. My bud's 2014 Ford, we slipped square tubing into his hitch sides and used the tubing for rear tie down mounts.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
cathtea wrote:
Af 990

What is your setup?

If you click on my profile it is all listed.

cathtea
Explorer
Explorer
Af 990

What is your setup?

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
What model AF TC are you going with? I put a set of rear Timbrens in my truck and added a sway bar. The sway bar was a nice add on for the trip we are on now, lots of mountain roads with tight turns and tons of wind.

Bedlam
I would start by buying a SuperHitch, FastGuns and the Torklift tie downs. You can adjust the suspension after you get some drive time on the rig and report back for more feedback.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
cathtea wrote:
Thank you everyone for your opinions - they are always good fuel for thought! Im learning a lot from your experience.

We got a 3500 DRW with 410, hope it will serve us well w growing family and off road. now working on details for TC including solar panel, tie downs... we are told we don't need Torque lift "stable load" by our dealer but Arctic Fox says we do... any thoughts?

Stable loads are suspension enhancements, basically a wedge or spacer that engage the overload springs earlier in the suspension travel to reduce sag under load.
IMO you'll be able to pack the camper wherever you want without any enhancements and gen decide what if any route you want to go. (But driving it from down here to way up there, may consider it before the trip just for your comfort or peace of mind).

If you're talking torklift tie down brackets, there are other options. I believe the torklift are the most popular. Mine are well built and do the job. I wanted to be hooked to the frame, not the bed and the cheesy new bumpers on these trucks like other systems.

You pick d the most capable truck for sure! It will haul a big camper with comfort and ease.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

2dedge
Explorer
Explorer
My good friend hauls an 865 with stock 2017 dually suspension with no issues.

cathtea
Explorer
Explorer

Bedlam
You're safe up to about 7000 lbs on the rear axle of a stock SRW. After that, you need to consider a few thousand in upgrades to keep it safe or go to a DRW. To me, it does not make sense to buy a truck that barely meets your needs or has to be upgraded immediately to carry your camper. If you already owned a reliable SRW, I would point you to the upgrades required.

I have been down both paths. I started with a capable SRW that required $3000 in upgrades to handle up to 8000 lbs on the rear axle rather than replacing it. When I knew we were going to go to a larger camper in the future, I replaced my SRW with a DRW capable of the payload without upgrades. Now carrying around my new camper, I'm glad my calculations paid off - I am able to do so with no upgrades to the replacement truck I chose.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
They're both big boys.
Srw or drw I wouldn't call one unilaterally safe on a srw and the other not.
A difference in C o G is likely going to have more effect on rear axle load than the 100 lb difference. But it's splitting hairs either way. Either you're ok with a beefed up 4 wheeler or need the dually.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cathtea
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. What year is your 990?

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
My AF990 weighed, 4,880 lbs. with a full tank of water, batteries, propane and our gear for a 2 week trip. I would not put a AF TC on a SRW truck without extensive modifications. They are heavy.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
according to the link I listed a couple posts ago:
992 wet = 4887
990 wet = 4781
difference = 106 lbs. Please note, 13.25 gallons of water weighs 106 lbs.

as an energy saving idea, I run with maybe 15 gallons of water in my fresh tank in 990, than fill up the extra 45 (or 360 more lgs) when I get near my destination.

But I am not recommending a SRW or Dually with this post.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

cathtea
Explorer
Explorer
Well I'll tell you what I've found out. This is obvious once you see it, but being new to fitting TC to trucks, it has taken me a bit to figure it out. The 992, being slightly heavier requires a DRW. The 990 can be safely carried by at SRW Ram 3500. This is a BIG deal for us because it greatly reduces the cost and complexity of the rig.

I also just learned that wig the kitchen at the back the COG on the 992 is farther back, making the rig less tight (for lack of a better word).

Thought I would share with the hive of knowledge.