cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are C

tobinduby
Explorer
Explorer
After responding to some 20 listings on Craigslist, most didn't respond, and the ones who did were scams. Is Craigslist not a good place to shop PUPs? Do I just need to raise my price point (I was looking only at $3000 or less)? Is there a more reputable way to locate used PUPs? I'm assuming dealers are going to be more expensive, so I want to buy private if possible. Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

RimCountry
Explorer
Explorer
And then, sometimes dumb luck wins the day. The best PUP buy we ever made was at a yard sale... a literal one. My wife and one of her girlfriends were making the rounds and struck up a conversation with the yard-seller. Turned out he was "thinking" about selling his '97 Viking Legend 2480... was probably going to ask $3000. My wife looked it over, loved it, called me to ask if "we" were interested, then offered the guy the $1200 cash that she and her girlfriend actually had on them at the time. That was about 5 years ago. A few cosmetic repairs, a re-arched axle, new tires, and it's still our favorite getaway.
Michael, Suzy & Arnie Asada (Chihuahua)
'97 Viking Legend 2480
'19 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You get what you pay for. A $1,500 p'up is going to be worth $1,500.....or less. Any seller using an email on the face of the listing as a correspondence on CL is a scam.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
There are a LOT of scams on Craigslist. I'd recommend a site like RVTrader.com where you will find legitimate sellers, both individuals and dealers.

And, as I've found over the years, don't automatically assume that all private owners are honest and have their units priced well, and by the same token don't automatically assume that all dealers are dishonest and have their units overpriced.

At least you can go online and read reviews about the dealers .... the individuals, not so much.

Just do your due diligence, and best of luck to you in your search.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to understand the title to your post?

Don't give up, keep looking for a PUP. You may have to raise your price point but you will find something that fits your needs and budget.
If there are any RV campgrounds or repair shops near you stop at the office and check the bulletin board. Sometimes people put an ad on the board that is not advertised anywhere else.

Use your search as a learning experience, this applies to any RV.

RimCountry
Explorer
Explorer
I realize that not everyone has a Facebook account (and for good reason!), but I've had very good luck joining local Facebook groups.

Most major cities, even smaller towns, typically have at least one or more "Yard Sale" type groups that are open to the public where members buy and sell just about anything. Since they are local, it's pretty easy to flush out the BSers, and scam artists don't last long in a close-knit group. Good luck!
Michael, Suzy & Arnie Asada (Chihuahua)
'97 Viking Legend 2480
'19 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi