cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are hybrids quieter than pop ups?

flash82
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you that have had both a hybrid and a pop up, are hybrids quieter inside. I don't mean laying in the beds. I'm talking about while inside the box portion. Not really sure the solid walls would make any difference in drowning out some camp ground noise. Thanks
27 REPLIES 27

marcarolle
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with most: quieter in the hard side section. Same level of noise in the bunk beds.

We did notice too - like another poster mentioned - that during set up time, if one of us is inside and the other one outside, we can no longer hear each other. While I was setting up the stuff outside (water, power, etc) DW getting camper inside ready could not hear me, and vice versa! A small price to pay.

We have camped for 18 yrs in 3 different pop ups - We loved every trip in a pop up.

This summer is our 1st with a hybrid. Quite a difference. We still look at families with nice pop up settings, but our time had come for a bathroom, a 2 door fridge/freezer, and less set up and take down time. Oh and I forgot: more $ at the pumps! ๐Ÿ˜ž

Cheers.

Marc
Me
DW

Gouda - 11 months Golden Retriever
Eva Golden Retriever (we miss you!)

2019 F150 2.7l V6 Ecoboost
2008 Gulf Breeze 26RKS

2004 Antigua 215SS Hybrid - gone
2002 Jayco Eagle 12SD pop up - gone
1996 10 ft Clipper pop up - gone
1977 10 ft Lionel pop up - gone

dxtac
Explorer
Explorer
We have had both and it is a definite yes. The glass windows and hard walls quiet it down quite a bit. When sleeping on the bunk though the answer is obviously no. Vinyl or canvas would be louder than an insulated wall anytime.
Thanks,

Derek, Heather, Dominic, Dylan and Amara too!!

NurseBetty
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is about the same. I loved our HTT but one of the things that swayed us over to the fiver side was the noise from the all night drunks in the campgrounds (and screaming kiddos) plus the set up time (cranking the hitch, setting up the bunks. I miss the tent bunk but not the noise!
2009 Keystone Mountaineer 332PHT
'10 Chevy 3500HD Dually Duramax/Allison Crew Cab 4X4
Adventures In Camping

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Beebo wrote:
You may have some more privacy with the solid middle section of an HTT, but no, there is no difference in the noise when your laying in your bunk.

x2!
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
No different both of our units owned had center blast ac and hard roofs.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Wavesprite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Regarding the sounds....I would say that to us it seems quieter inside the HTT then our old PUP. When we are sleeping at night in the bunk ends it is the same, but during teh day if we are inside with the windows all closed, I can't really hear anything outside....when turtled, we hear nothing.

Regarding set up time. I think our HTT is WAY faster then our PUPs (we had two different ones). When I think of setup time, I think of start to finish, home, packing, etc. When we got to a campground with the PUP we would have to slide all this stuff out of the door and move boxes of supplies, etc (even though we were packed well. The sleeping bags and chairs and bbq, etc would all be sent out the door as we were popping up and sliding the beds out. Now, like tonight, with the HTT, I threw some food in a bag, and a change of clothes and we are out the door. When we get to the campground we just level, drop the ends (maybe 8 minutes) and we are good to go. No shuffling boxes around, sliding them into the right puzzle piece of area on the floor.

Also, besides the setup, we LOVE that we can pull over on the side of the road at a rest stop on the way and I can fire up the stove and cook lunch, could't do that with the PUP.....

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
RandK-M wrote:
dspencer wrote:
flash82 wrote:
dspencer wrote:
I love our Hybrid except the set up time.

It's Got to be a bit better than the pop up.?.

Yes its a small bit better on set up time but truthfully not that much but i wouldn't want to go back either, LOL

I have to disagree about the set up time. I had three popups over nearly 20 years and the set up and pack up time is like night and day.

It's only the 2 of us now so less stuff, but still. In fact we were so amazed at the difference, just for fun we timed ourselves on one trip the second year we had the hybrid. Without rushing or making a race out of it, we were done and sitting in a chair with a beer in 48 minutes. that was from the time we got the trailer into position until we were done and included unhooking and leveling.

1. My bunk ends are fully attached canvas with cables. I can set open both bunks by my self and have them ready in 10 minutes. Drop the hatch, insert the single shepherds pole and done. If I didn't walk with a cane, it would be less than 10 minutes (we use double sleeping bags just like we did in the pups).

2. Connect water line, sewer hose and cable TV if available. Another 15 minutes, maybe.

3. Extend awning. 3 minutes.

That's basically it on the camper side! the rest is the same as any trailer. Grab the chairs and grill from the back of the truck. etc.

I think your conclusion should go before number 2....... The only difference between an HTT and a TT is about 10 minutes. I would also do it in less then 10 minutes if I didn't have COPD.
MY DW and I also use sleeping bags....one under us and one over.

Dre

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
RandK-M wrote:
I have to disagree about the set up time. I had three popups over nearly 20 years and the set up and pack up time is like night and day.

It's only the 2 of us now so less stuff, but still. In fact we were so amazed at the difference, just for fun we timed ourselves on one trip the second year we had the hybrid. Without rushing or making a race out of it, we were done and sitting in a chair with a beer in 48 minutes. that was from the time we got the trailer into position until we were done and included unhooking and leveling.

1. My bunk ends are fully attached canvas with cables. I can set open both bunks by my self and have them ready in 10 minutes. Drop the hatch, insert the single shepherds pole and done. If I didn't walk with a cane, it would be less than 10 minutes (we use double sleeping bags just like we did in the pups).

2. Connect water line, sewer hose and cable TV if available. Another 15 minutes, maybe.

That's basically it on the camper side! the rest is the same as any trailer. Grab the chairs and grill from the back of the truck. etc.

My camper stays at home plugged in for the whole camping season. there's some food and drinks always in the fridge and stuff from the store goes from the truck to the camper without bringing it inside and having to pack it later.....Couldn't do that with the pups

With our pups, we had to pack clothes, food, drinks, etc in bins and coolers, and set everything up each time. closing up, everything had to be repacked into the truck. We don't even bring a cooler anymore except for week long trips and that's just for drinks.

Heck, with the hybrid at home and stuff already in there I can decide to go camping on a Friday and be on the road in an hour or less.

Ray

This is very close to our experiences and the way we use our HTT, too. If we get the urge and have the time, we can pack and go in short order, for short trips. If it has been a stressful week and everyone needs a brake, we go out in the camper in the back yard (we live in the woods), take a computer for Netflix wifi from the house router, and make a bowl of popcorn for movie night.

The roof A/C and/or fan really help with noise from outside and privacy from inside.

RandK-M
Explorer
Explorer
dspencer wrote:
flash82 wrote:
dspencer wrote:

Yes its a small bit better on set up time but truthfully not that much but i wouldn't want to go back either, LOL

My camper stays at home plugged in for the whole camping season. there's some food and drinks always in the fridge and stuff from the store goes from the truck to the camper without bringing it inside and having to pack it later.....Couldn't do that with the pups

With our pups, we had to pack clothes, food, drinks, etc in bins and coolers, and set everything up each time. closing up, everything had to be repacked into the truck. We don't even bring a cooler anymore except for week long trips and that's just for drinks.

Heck, with the hybrid at home and stuff already in there I can decide to go camping on a Friday and be on the road in an hour or less.

Ray
Jayco 17Z
Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Prodigy P2
Equal-i-zer Hitch
US Navy Veteran

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
The bunks are the same. Otherwise, the hybrid is quieter than my old pop up, but probably not enough to make a real difference if that's what you're looking for.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
flash82 wrote:
dspencer wrote:

flash82
Explorer
Explorer
I just want our conversations in the camper to be not heard from everyone and visa versa. In the PUP, I can be outside near the edge of site and can hear my daughters clear as day. Would be nice to be more "private" in the "box" such has breakfast time. Make sense?

3LittleDucks
Explorer
Explorer
Much quieter when turtled, somewhat quieter with the bunk end out (we only have 1), no difference when lying on the bunk end bed. Our fantastic fan runs most of the time and is very loud (we also tend to have music playing in the HTT, didn't in the PUP), and so if we're in the trailer during the day we don't really hear too much of what's going on outside.
2008 Nissan Armada TV
2007 Trail Cruiser 21RBH HTT

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
PapPappy wrote:
DiskDoctr wrote:
Absolutely, YES!

Padlin wrote:
Little or no difference.

That's what I love about RV.net.....it covers both ends of the spectrum:B

As it seems to be needed... Our trailer has a side and front bunk, it's only 16' long inside. If you were outside the door side of the unit where there is a solid wall between us and you and you talked quietly, I would not here you. If I were in one of the beds, and you were on that side of the trailer, I could hear you whisper. As I could care less if I hear you when I'm not tying to sleep, it's only when in one of the bunks that it bothers me, at which time I can hear you as well as if you were in bed with me. Keep it in mind for those romantic evenings.

So in my opinion it is not any quieter then the Pop-ups I've used. Your views may and probably will differ.

I use a battery operated white noise generator to drown out the night time noises, works very well.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA