cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ATV Muffler on Genset?

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Has anyone added an ATV muffler to the onboard generator? Noticed mine is just a straight pipe. Curious that they didn't put any muffler at all on it. Wondering how effective it might be to add one.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
14 REPLIES 14

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
there is a system you can buy that will pipe the exhaust / noise above the RV. Up there is doesn't sound as obnoxious as a Generator on the same level as people.

search internet on Camco Gen-Turi RV Generator Exhaust System

just shy of 200 bucks. I hear some events (nascar?) require these vents to get the CO out of the crowds.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
there is a system you can buy that will pipe the exhaust / noise above the RV. Up there is doesn't sound as obnoxious as a Generator on the same level as people.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
The resonator gets rid of the sputtering noise of the exhaust.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Use the Cummins Onan Resonator. It quiets down the exhaust tone.

I did a sound test with mine but haven't finished my video comparison yet.

Cummins Onan 155-2449 Resonator
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
A good portion of the NVH INSIDE the camper from a built in is the engine and generator itself imo. Not the exhaust.
Cheap easy makeshift muffler, run a piece of flex hose from the exhaust pipe into a bucket of water. If you are satisfied with that, use a metal bucket for longer operation periods.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
From what I remember putting a resonator or a muffler on the exhaust adds backpressure which adds heat and load to the engine which Onan says is not a wise thing to do on the 2500 series.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

sd1209
Explorer
Explorer
Onan makes a resonator....Goes inline with the exhaust....About $40 as I recall......There are YouTube video's as well comparing noise levels with/without the resonator......

I put one on my Onan 2500 LP and it did make a difference..Not much but a difference..Seemed to change the frequency of the noise and made it almost tolerable......Noise from the generator is my biggest complaint ......
Steve and Liz
Elko, Nv and San Diego, Ca
2017 Lance 1172
2016 F350 dually
2010 Jeep Wrangler

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
The other half of the noise is usually the valves/mechanical noise...
You can do a valve adjustment and bring it back to spec and that might help slightly, but that noise will always be there.

Mufflers are tuned to the engine they serve, so you would have to try different ones.

I had an old Onan from 1970 that had a car-looking muffler on it, not unlike the above post. It did lower the noise, mostly the high frequencies, but it was still loud. It was a big one-cycender banger, but ran at 1,800 rpm so was quieter than your 3,600 rpm gen.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Onan used to make a muffler kit for earlier models:

https://yakimagenerator.com/product/onan-kvd-muffler-kit-541-0618/
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I changed to synthetic in my Onan generator after noticing my diesel got quieter with a change to synthetic. Both were noticably quieter. It actually makes sense when you read that the majority of the noise is mechanical. YMMV.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
We have a John Deere 590 xuv SxS that to us has very loud exhast Its hard to talk to one another . We want to be quiet riding in the woods, not proclaim our presence. . It isnt a performance machine, we are disappointed that JD engineered such a fine machine but failed to address the noise level. JD had no options for a quiet muffler.
Researching quiet aftermarket exhaust for a 600cc motor found no options that I even in my welding shop could modify to fit.
It seems quiet is the name of the game for gennys, loud for toys. Why?

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
adamis wrote:
Has anyone added an ATV muffler to the onboard generator? Noticed mine is just a straight pipe. Curious that they didn't put any muffler at all on it. Wondering how effective it might be to add one.

I would suggest if you try that idea, go with the small muffler for a 4 stroke. Most common generators are about 3-6 HP where even the small ATV's run 25 HP and up. I would think using the appropriate size to the motor makes a difference.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
As has been reported exhaust is only about 1/2 of the noise made by a generator.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
I put a tractor muffler on mine. It doesn't really reduce the volume, but changes the sound and gets rid of some of the more annoying notes.

I had more overall success lining the generator compartment with Dynamat, creating a floor for the generator compartment out of stall mat, using the leftover stall mat to make better mounts, and a few other little things.

Despite all the things, it's still annoying and still loud. If I ran it very often, I'd consider replacing it with the new inverter model. That being said, it's way better than when I bought it.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s