cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning torn - can remove and go without or not ?

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last month when we moved the TT to another volunteer site, we saw that the awning was torn and probably would not be able to extend the awning again without it tearing more. And so have not extended the awning for two months - and have been in rain storms we know that the awning is full of water.

Plans are to replace it the first of June when we return to our home base. So in the meantime, can we extend it, remove the awning material and go without the awning material until we get home ?

We will be in Newport for March, Tillamook in April and May in Reedsport. If we knew there was a good, reputable repair shop in one of those cities, we might have the awning replaced before June.
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)
15 REPLIES 15

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would say you are fine just leaving it as it is. Then take it to an RV repair place when you get back home and have it replaced with a new awning.
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoadXYZ wrote:
We are toooo old for Do-It-Yourself projects involving muscles.

I hear ya! Me? I'm ladder impaired so anything above 6 feet goes to the shop.

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
kalynzoo wrote:
When I was up in that area two years ago an RV emergency brought me to the Wilsonville/Portland Camping World for a repair. I cannot speak highly enough for the guys and gals there. The worked after hours to get me back on the road. They were knowledgeable, caring, and neat. It is a beautiful drive from Tillamook to Wilsonville. You pass a buffalo ranch, a sake distillery with tours, and plenty of u-pick farmland on a well maintained easy to drive two lane road. It would be a nice drive and I truly believe the service you will get from CampingWorld Wilsonville will be worth the trip. JMHO,

Except we will be going on down to Umpqua State Park, then onto Crescent City and coming back up towards Portland via Grants Pass, and Albany .. so will check with DH (Dear Hubby) but sounds like your recommendation might be a good idea before arriving at our home base in SE Washington. Thank you.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
When I was up in that area two years ago an RV emergency brought me to the Wilsonville/Portland Camping World for a repair. I cannot speak highly enough for the guys and gals there. The worked after hours to get me back on the road. They were knowledgeable, caring, and neat. It is a beautiful drive from Tillamook to Wilsonville. You pass a buffalo ranch, a sake distillery with tours, and plenty of u-pick farmland on a well maintained easy to drive two lane road. It would be a nice drive and I truly believe the service you will get from CampingWorld Wilsonville will be worth the trip. JMHO,

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
robsouth wrote:
Water in a rolled up awning will not be a problem for travel. Just go like always and the water will spill out or not. Won't hurt anything.

Thank you for the response.

Hubby thought we would be ok by just leaving it alone, and go on down the road ... so will do that.

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
dmctlc wrote:
how did it tear... do u have insurance I know my brother ripped his in a high wind and his insurance for his trailer covered replacing it.... Of course you aways need to weigh whether it's worth claiming something like that that might cost a $1000 to replace and risk ur rate going up.... He said his never did....

Our RV is almost 10 years old ... not an insurance issue .. just aging of awning material.

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Passin Thru wrote:
Why wait? You can do one yourself in about 2 hrs. Order a new Carefree of CO cover, seems to be the best material and put it on. You can take the old one off and run with the frame only.

We are toooo old for Do-It-Yourself projects involving muscles ... and looks like what sounded simple is indeed not ..

Thank you for the response ...

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Removing the fabric is not as easy as it might sound. There is a lot of pressure on that spring. We had a neighbor in the hospital for 3 days after nearly losing his thumb when he lost control of the vise grip he was using while trying to remove the end cap.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
How much and where is it torn? I can't understand how water will affect the coiled material on the drum. Not knowing the extent of the damage, maybe wind would cause problems if you move...I would remove the drum with material as it is. One end of the drum on my awning is springloaded so remove the end not under tension, then you can control the unwinding of the drum while you're standing on the ground. Call the manufacturer about the spring.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

74alex
Explorer
Explorer
The tricky part to remove the awning fabric is the removal from the roller tube. On my Carefree awning one end cap has to be removed. That entails release of the spring pressure inside the tube. You can get hurt badly if you loose control of the spring pressure from the vise grip you need.
It is basically a two men job. I had mine redone by a repair shop for safety reasons.
If you want to tackle this yourself, I suggest you look up the manuf. website and check the removal and installation procedure.
Alex

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Water in a rolled up awning will not be a problem for travel. Just go like always and the water will spill out or not. Won't hurt anything.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Why wait? You can do one yourself in about 2 hrs. Order a new Carefree of CO cover, seems to be the best material and put it on. You can take the old one off and run with the frame only.

dmctlc
Explorer
Explorer
how did it tear... do u have insurance I know my brother ripped his in a high wind and his insurance for his trailer covered replacing it.... Of course you aways need to weigh whether it's worth claiming something like that that might cost a $1000 to replace and risk ur rate going up.... He said his never did....
Dana & wife Terri
Daughter - Stephanie
Granddaughter - Callie (9 y/o)
Son - Phillip
Granddaughter - Charlotte (1 1/2 y/o)
American Cocker Spaniel- Shadow
2018 Georgetown Series 5 GT5 31L5

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
wrvond wrote:
Yes, you can.
As an aside, awning repair tape is good stuff.

There are differences of opinion on that ... heard some have used Eternabond ..

But the real question is can we take the material off and just have the frame up there ... don't want to travel with all that water up there !