Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Camera

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I have a 2016 Evergreen I-Go TT and want to install a backup camera. Looking for suggestions on where/how to tap into power for the camera. Trailer is not pre-wired so I'll have to tap into some other circuit. I was looking for a battery powered camera but so far haven't found one so if anyone knows of a brand? I assume the camera would take too much juice to run to make a small battery feasible? Thanks.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
9 REPLIES 9

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
wtmtnhiker wrote:
Hi all,
I have a 2016 Evergreen I-Go TT and want to install a backup camera. Looking for suggestions on where/how to tap into power for the camera. Trailer is not pre-wired so I'll have to tap into some other circuit. I was looking for a battery powered camera but so far haven't found one so if anyone knows of a brand? I assume the camera would take too much juice to run to make a small battery feasible? Thanks.

Furrion sells a complete kit including a camera, mount and wiring. Mine is wired to the clearance lights, high rear of the camper.

We drive with headlights on and really like the rear view. Helps when passing slower traffic and great for back in spots.
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

bob2194
Explorer
Explorer
PNW_Steve wrote:
I have seen folks wire them into the backup lights. I thought that a slick way to go until I looked at my trailer and realized that I don't have backup lights.

My umbilical cord has the connection for backup lights but it ends at the front of the trailer. 😞

If your trailer has backup lights that would be another option.

Actually the furron has a 5 in camera which for me was the happy spot for me the 4in too small, the 7 too big, the 5 just right. Love the camera
20 year U.S Army veteran and still serving. Vehicle inspector (ARMY)
2018 Radiance 28QB pulled by 2018 F250 STX 6.2 Gasser
Equal-i-zer Hitch

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up a battery powered camera (9v) that I use. The screen plugs directly into 12v outlet in tow vehicle and connects to camera via bluetooth. It works well enough for single person backing up tow vehicle to rig and also backing into sites. the camer has a magnet so i attach it to bumper of rig and ontop of my WD hitch when connecting tow vehicle to rig.

I can't think of the name, bought it on clearance at local RV store some time ago. If you want, I can look up brand/model and respond.

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a Furrion camera this spring. Wired it into the running lights so it is on anytime the lights are on. Our camper wasn't prewired but wiring was easy. It works great. A good thing about it is, because the camera has a microphone, you can hear what's going on behind the camper as your are backing up, my wife is still the spotter and I can hear her without her yelling.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Fire19
Explorer
Explorer
I have installed the Furion 7" observation camera with two maker light cameras on my 32 'Fifth Wheel. I love the system and wish I would have installed it earlier it would have saved some arguments when parking in the campground. I wired it to rear center clearance light and the 2 side running lights on the front of the 5th wheel.
2000 Ford F-350 Dually Crew Cab
2002 Gulfstream Seahawk 29FKS
1998 GL1500SE

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen folks wire them into the backup lights. I thought that a slick way to go until I looked at my trailer and realized that I don't have backup lights.

My umbilical cord has the connection for backup lights but it ends at the front of the trailer. 😞

If your trailer has backup lights that would be another option.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I just added the Furrion 7 inch observation camera on my (pre-wired) Montana 5er. Mine is wired into the running lights, so when truck lights are out, the camera is off. At first, I thought it would be great to have it on all the time and I could use the monitor inside the camper. But then, it would be on all the time, and after thinking about that, realized that really not a good idea. So, wired into the running lights was a good thing after all.

As stated above, check the wires at one of your clearance lights and tap into it.

The Furrion model comes is 7 inch and 4 1/2 inch. I got the 7 inch, the 4 1/2 just look way to small. The monitor plugs into a cigarette lighter style socket.

I just installed it this week, and have not had it on the road yet. Going out again Friday afternoon, so will get to use it on the road the first time then. I'm really excited about having this. After last week-end I KNEW I wanted the camera for sure.

I was backing the 5er into the campsite. I was backing over the grass, angled for the graveled pad. No trees or anything in the way. My wife (my spotter) was in the front seat of the truck. It was such an easy and obstruction free back-in, I didn't need rear end viewing assistance.

Well, I started backing in when the neighbor camper woman started yelling and screaming to the top of her lungs over and over and over again... "STOP! STOP! STOP!" I'm thinking, what in the world is going on. Is she upset because my tires are in the grass?

I asked my wife to go check behind and be my navigator. She jumped right out. Both her and the woman yelling were behind the camper. I still couldn't see what was going on. Finally, my wife appeared in the rear view mirror and motioned for me to come-on and said everything was OK. I'm a bit shaky at this point, but I do.

Once in place (which was very easy), I asked her why the woman was yelling so much. Wife said, there was a kid on a bicycle that wasn't stopping when you were backing up. She was yelling at the kid to stop. The dumb kid wasn't listening and was heading right for the back end of my camper.

An observation-back-up camera would have come in real handy right then. That was the decisive moment when I finally made up my mind I was getting the camera. Monday after work, I drove over to my local dealership-RV repair place and purchased it. Put it on that evening.

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
Does your TT have a top-center clearance light on the back? That's where most folks get power for wireless cameras. The camera will be on any time your TV running lights are on. Our fifth wheel came prewired with a mount for the Furrion camera, but it was wired to stay on all the time. I changed it and tapped the top-center clearance light so the camera wouldn't be on 24/7.

Rob

Yes it does and I have thought about that. Makes it more feasible for me knowing someone else has done it. Thanks.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does your TT have a top-center clearance light on the back? That's where most folks get power for wireless cameras. The camera will be on any time your TV running lights are on. Our fifth wheel came prewired with a mount for the Furrion camera, but it was wired to stay on all the time. I changed it and tapped the top-center clearance light so the camera wouldn't be on 24/7.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015