Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Baggage/pass through slam latches

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer
Okay,
I have all the stuff ordered to do this swap. My current set up is the CH751 key and a twist lock.
I am switching to a slam style door.
The reason for this move? Well, I have my current doors leaking, and after much research I have found many people have the same issue with this style.
To save myself a lot of time and water damage I am just going to upgrade to the slam style used on 2016 trailers.

Has anyone else done this swap? If so do you have any photos or videos?

If not I will be making a video to help others out along the way.
3 REPLIES 3

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
We have them on our new TT. The one thing I do not like about them is that the catch hardware for the door latch sticks up above the bottom of the hatch opening. Minor issue, but annoying when sliding containers in and out.

I don't see where the slam latch doors are any better at sealing although I never had a problem with the old style Ch751 key and twist lock hatch door leaking on our old TT. Both style latches do have some adjustment to hold the hatch doors tighter against the gasket for a better seal.

The issue with the style of door I have is that it is made of a paper board and has rivets on the top rail. The rivets come loose over time allowing water to go into the door and run into the pass thru.
Now my door is twice as big as it once was and the glue and paper is not longer keeping water out.

The newer style has different water run off and is a thicker door.

Nothing to do with the latch, more the frame on the door. I just like the slam latch.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
We have them on our new TT. The one thing I do not like about them is that the catch hardware for the door latch sticks up above the bottom of the hatch opening. Minor issue, but annoying when sliding containers in and out.

I don't see where the slam latch doors are any better at sealing although I never had a problem with the old style Ch751 key and twist lock hatch door leaking on our old TT. Both style latches do have some adjustment to hold the hatch doors tighter against the gasket for a better seal.

Gambit80
Explorer
Explorer
I have not done so, but have been interested in them.
Me(40), DW(40), DS(21), DS(21)
2015 Forest River Salem 26TBUD
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC, 5.9 CTD