cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banks Differential Cover

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
A while back I came across a video series of Banks Performance testing differential covers. I thought it was interesting and very well done.

Now I see why. They've introduced the Banks Ram Air Differential Cover. I've already installed an AAM aluminum finned cover on my Ram 2500 so I don't really plan to change it out for this one. But, the science and engineering they put behind it are really interesting. They put a lot of time into measuring temps and air flow around the cover and observing oil flow inside the diff. It's really curious they purposefully extended part of the cover below the axle to grab air and flow it across the fins.

Maybe the new diesel emissions rules are clamping down on their business so now they are turning their attention to other performance enhancement options? :h Either way, the cover does look well designed and not just a show piece.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!
28 REPLIES 28

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
This whole thing reminds me of a solution waiting for a nonexistent problem.

Kind of like people freaking out over 240F ATF temps. :R

Well said....

Totally agree.

X 3.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Hard core off readers understand this

Imagine crawling over a field of boulders...ranging from 1ft to 3ft or more

You manage to keep the front diff from hitting, but the rear does

The drive shaft may miss, but the pinion end of the rear diff casting might hit and climb up and over...while sliding off..the back side might Catch the diff cover lip and bend if lucky...if not..it bends or rips off to lose fluid

Part of why I converted my K5 to a Dana 60 front and GM 14 bolt rear

My Diff covers had 3/8th inch plate bolster. Take the diff cover and trace it on a piece of plate. Cut it and cut the center out to match the diff cover bolt pattern. Drill matching holes

Grind the OEM diff cover bend back

Gasket the diff casting, then the modified diff cover, then bolt the 3/8th inch thick bolstering over that stack

This is more wishful thinking these days...71 and might try rock crawling again...but my Sub is a whale out there...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Looks like a well engineered product. Reminds me I need to change my rear diff lube 😉

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Does one think AAM would design a differential cover and install it on their differential that would compromise it? Following AAM’s severe service recommendations with a quality synthetic differential oil would be a better way to spend $400.00, than a flashy differential cover.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
FishOnOne wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Well said....

Totally agree.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Well said....
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
I don't off road much anymore, but I do...this is what I'd also install ir make myself

https://images.app.goo.gl/w7cSrG2rLjnUXpwj7

The stock diff covers also get peeled while crawling over stuff...seasoned off roaders know HOW2 manage that...but poop happens...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I would not buy a cover that created a new low point to hit with a rock.

That was a concern of mine as well. Did you see the part at the very end of the video where he addressed that situation? Fast forward to the 32:00 minute mark to see it if you didn't. Gale took a piece of steel rod and a 4lbs hammer and clobbered the part that hangs down. In his controlled condition the only thing that broke off was the part that hangs down leaving the rest of the cover in tact. He says directly if that happens, they'll give you a replacement.

Now, it's entirely possible the rock you hit will be funky breaking another part and allowing your gear oil to leak out. If that fries your axle will Banks cover it? Not sure.

I think they really intended this cover for on-road use trucks that are hauling heavy loads on the rear axle. Sure this could be used for an off-road truck, but the way they designed the fins and air intake it seems they are targeted conditions where the truck is at-speed flowing air across the cover and actively cooling the fins.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe they work but they look very cool regardless. TY for posting.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:

It doesn’t sit more than an inch lower than the diff itself, in fact the one in the video looked less than an inch. With that said. At the end of the video he showed what it would take to break off the fins. He also said that if it did break off you get a new cover for free. It’s meant to break away. And it won’t lose any fluid.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Watch the whole video and found it to be very informative.
Thanks for posting.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting this very interesting diff cover

It might fit my Sub, as the others stick out and interferes with the tank skid plate

Was going to (maybe still going to in addition to this) just use a healthy dose of either Molybdenum Disulfide or Tungsten Disulfide

Issue with those super lube additives is with anything with friction clutches. Too slippery abd clutches will be ruined

Will check this out some more
-Ben Picture of my rig