cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bathroom light

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a new TT last week found that the 12v light in the ceiling of the bathroom doesn't have a on-off switch in the wall and my wife and grandkids can't reach the light in the ceiling to turn it on. I know there are a lot of battery operated lights I could mount on the wall or under the medicine cabinet but I'd really rather have a switch for the one in the ceiling. I'm afraid if I try to remove trim work and wall panels to run wires and a switch, I'd end up damaging the trim. All the interior trim is cheap and would be ruined by prying this stuff apart. Any ideas?
13 REPLIES 13

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. I think the battery operated LED with motion sensor activation is the best and easiest solution. They make one that only works in the dark. I didn't like the idea of opening up the ceiling or wall panels to rewire the light.I also have to figure out a way to turn on a cabin light in the dark when you step into the trailer. The switch is in the main electrical control panel located under the TV which is a about 3 feet from the door. Again...stupid design. My old trailer had a switch on the wall just inside the door which made it easy to find and switch on. The designer of this rig obviously never owned a TT before.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a light over our bed that is the same. It has a built in switch, but is impossible to reach with out getting up from the bed.
I did a little rework and added a pull chain to the existing fixture.

If you are handy, you could do the same

My wife just reminded me. I did the same, (added a pull chain) to our bath room fan because she couldn't reach the push button on it.

jack L
Jack & Nanci

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
copying somebody here I bought a battery operated LED light strip that has a remote control and mounted it at an angle over the medicine cabinet. about $17 at walmart IIRC. uf somebody wanted to they could probably rewire it for 12 volt if available nearby.
bumpy

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Battery operated LED was the simple solution for my vertically challenged wife . Just glue it on the wall !

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Our previous trailer had the same "dumb" bathroom light without a wall switch that my wife couldn't reach.

I installed an LED motion activated light (battery operated). When ever we walked into the bathroom at night it would automatically come on.
Batts seemed to last forever, it de-activated itself during the day when it was light. No wiring required.

^ This is your solution 🙂

We went a bit further on one of our old RV's, we used command strips to attach to the wall (yes, they even hold pretty well in below zero temps) and then hung the motion sensor on it. The one thing we needed to do is make sure it stayed on for an extended period of time (like 3 minutes) so when using the toilet it didn't go off and leave us in the dark.

Only negative - have to replace batteries.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
A 12V remote control switch may be easier to install. There are probably surface mount wireless switches that accomplish this. The switching relay could be located in the ceiling.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
The hoops we jump through to do what the factory did not. Amazes me. Wow!
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous trailer had the same "dumb" bathroom light without a wall switch that my wife couldn't reach.

I installed an LED motion activated light (battery operated). When ever we walked into the bathroom at night it would automatically come on.
Batts seemed to last forever, it de-activated itself during the day when it was light. No wiring required.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Mfan wrote:
Get a taller wife?

Perfect! :W

When I moved the furnace thermostat in our trailer laterally so I could see / reach it with the slide in the travel position I too had the choice of opening the wall or simply running the wires along the outside surface and masking them with some sort of dressing. I chose the latter when I discovered that inside the wall there was also a metal stud I'd have to drill through in order to run the wires where they needed to go. I chose to channel out a piece of hardwood for the purpose ...

... mostly because I only needed a few inches, otherwise I'd have instead used a piece of plastic wiremold. The OP could do the same, running the wires from the light fixture across the ceiling and down the wall to a switch located in a surface mount box, thereby completely avoiding having to open the wall or ceiling at all, not unlike how I ran a cable for the A/C I installed in our popup.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Thy are terrible when trying to do something like that. It may be easier to put in thin wire and channel as Horn said. Some places you can remove a fan vent or ac vent and sneak stuff through but??????

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
It seems all of the wall trim in our new trailer is attached with 1/4 inch wire brads. Every time we pull it somewhere a piece of trim has come loose. I replace them with 3/4 paneling nails. Two pieces of my paneling were only attached with the seam tape in one joint. It maybe easier than you think to open up the wall.
John 😛
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
You could use some plastic wiring channel to run up the wall and to the light to add a switch. You can get it at homedepot or lowes.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Get a taller wife?