cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batteries

kayco53
Explorer
Explorer
I have older 8ft TC that I just changed the furnace in since the old gravity furnace died of old age.It was only 40 yrs old. Got a new furnace that they say draws 2.7 amps. Now I need to upgrade the batteries as I use it for skiing and can not always plug in. Thinking two AGM 6volts one inside one outside due to limited room,or two 12 volt AGM same thing one inside one outside.Only advantage I can see of the 12 volt is I can take one out and use it on my trolling motor. Either way its a fair dollar.Would use the wet cells but then I couldn't put them inside.Thanks
2007 GMC 2500hd
2011 Creekside 23RKS
9 REPLIES 9

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
What you are proposing is not a very good idea. Many of the reasons why have already been listed above. Another is different temperatures of the batteries will result in different discharge and charging rates, too. Either way, you are going to abuse these batteries and the result will impact their longevity and available AMP Hours and increased charging time.

Also, I would not invest in expensive batteries for this use. What is going to happen is shorter longevity. So, pay more or pay less with the results being the same, shortened life.

Personally, I would purchase two batteries that fit the existing location and go with that. Spend the money to purchase a completely separate battery for trolling use. You are going to end up spending the money that otherwise would have purchased this battery in the long run.

Good luck and thanks for bringing this question here so others can learn from your questions.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
youngm357 wrote:
Costco batteries.

I assume you mean to Costco 6V GC2 batteries. Great "bang for the buck" !

time2roll wrote:
Having two 6v GC2 in different locations may complicate the wiring a bit.

I have to agree. I would do it, but I feel capable of handling the wiring.

Most TC are very tight on space, so accessing flooded cell batteries for regular maintenance in 2 different compartment can be a real pain. This is a case where AGM may be worth the extra cost.

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Make sure they are true "deep discharge" batteries. Typical marine batteries are dual purpose and therefore are a compromise.

Trojan Reliant T1275-AGM

Huge +1 for the Trojan batteries. They are made for different purposes than the consumer targeted batteries. Things like floor buffers, golf carts, etc. My first one (purchased a decade ago) is still 'good', but I like my batteries to be 'great', so I replaced it this year.

Mine: Trojan T-1275

Spend the money, water the battery annually, and you won't be disappointed.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

smooth1
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with the 2 12V batteries as it gives you more options.

When we camp at the ski hill we don't need the genny if it's only 1 night on 2 AGM 12v batteries. For the second night we need to add some charge to the batteries with the genny.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Having two 6v GC2 in different locations may complicate the wiring a bit.
Having two 12v in different locations may cause unbalanced charging over time.

I recommend Lifeline deep cycle AGM.

youngm357
Explorer
Explorer
Costco batteries.

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
You will need to have a good charger/converter for those new batteries too, AGM or flooded wet cells. Along with that you may need to upgrade the battery wiring to accommodate the higher charge amperage. More on that later as you decide what to do.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure they are true "deep discharge" batteries. Typical marine batteries are dual purpose and therefore are a compromise.

Trojan Reliant T1275-AGM

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If you split up a matched set of batteries and use one on a trolling motor you no longer have a nice matched set of batteries. Putting batteries in parallel is undesirable anyway since they don't always charge and discharge exactly the same. Using 1 for another purpose will only make it that much work. I'd use 2 6 volts. If you want to take them BOTH out and use on your trolling motor then have at it.