cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery acid crud on top of battery

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Upon opening the hood last w/e while changing oil and fuel filters, I noticed said topic heading on top of the left battery. Said "This isn't good". Spoke w/ dealer and asked if battery was covered under warranty and he said yes but (always is isn't there?) only if battery is kaput. I can bring it by and they can do a load test and I could also opt for them to do a battery service to the tune of 30 bucks to clean the posts/terminals. Anyways, am not sure what would cause the crud to be there and what do you all think?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
25 REPLIES 25

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
PS...

Charging lead acid batteries can have the acid vaporize, more so if high speed and/or over charge

If the battery gets very warm to hot, your charging to fast or too long and boiling the acid

There should be a vent somewhere on top, but the vapor pressure can force acid vapor out through the post seal

Those felt washers are treated with antacids and I spray/soak on even more
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Common and many time exacerbated by the age old carry strap that clamps on both terminals and/or rough handling while tightening the cable clamps

Recently tossed my decades old post clamp battery handle after noodling this exact topic. Saw how it places high stress on both posts that messes up the post to case seal

Still see shops using that old style and think most of their customers will have compromised battery post to case seals

Bought a new carry handle from NAPA that looks like the old world ice block carry. This tool clamps on the side of the battery case and does not involve the post

I've always used dialectric grease on the post/case. Then a felt washer (they are next the batteries at parts stores) and the soak the felt with battery spray (also next to the batteries)....then the cable clamp, which I do not horse around so as to not mess up the new battery post seal

If the cable clamp has become stretched, either replace with new...or use copper tape wound on the post to increase it's dia

This is the tool. walmart
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cleaning and neutralizing is only a temporary solution. Goop or sprays are also only a temporary solution. The corrosion will come back unless you replace the battery.

Airflow can slow it down.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
Coca Cola works as well

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
While baking soda is great for battery clean up, be very careful about any getting inside the battery from any opening.

Jerry

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Another method is baking soda & vinegar. And rinse well.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 'goop' I use is di-electric grease, not vaseline. Never heard of anyone (dealer) replacing a battery from gassing off and leaking around the terminals but maybe in California where anything is possible.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
yep defective battery,it has a leak, if they won,t change it, clean, then put a little goop around the post let dry for a day. it stopped mine from gassing off.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
That type of buildup is from a leaking battery. There is a small crack around the battery post that is allowing the gasses to escape and the resulting crud buildup. Tell them the battery is leaking. They have a failure code for that and can replace a leaking battery even though the battery may test good. And tell them to replace both so the system functions properly.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The better way is a mixture of baking soda and water, ...

The best preventive solution is, ... a generous "glob" of Vaseline ...

Agree. This has worked and worked well, I think, since batteries were created. My dad taught me this exact same thing when I was about 7 years old. I'm 64 now. And over the years, I've used my share of baking soda.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Upon opening the hood last w/e while changing oil and fuel filters, I noticed said topic heading on top of the left battery. Said "This isn't good". Spoke w/ dealer and asked if battery was covered under warranty and he said yes but (always is isn't there?) only if battery is kaput. I can bring it by and they can do a load test and I could also opt for them to do a battery service to the tune of 30 bucks to clean the posts/terminals. Anyways, am not sure what would cause the crud to be there and what do you all think?

That is from gases escaping, typically from a very small crack.

The quick way to get rid of that stuff is a garden hose and nozzle.

The better way is a mixture of baking soda and water, applied liberally with an old paint brush (or auto parts cleaning brush) until it stops foaming and rinse well.

The best preventive solution is, when dry, to remove each terminal from the post, and place a generous "glob" of Vaseline on the post and around each edge. This is typically where the gases leak from and the Vaseline will prevent them from escaping.