cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Box without extra 'wings'

martinandanne
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know of a Group 31 size battery box that does not have large handles and/or cable ways on the ends of the box?

On the front of my TT I have just enough room to put 2 Group 31 sized batteries - but not 2 battery boxes due to the extra 'stuff' hanging off the sides.

I thought about just cutting off the extra parts, but then they would not be as weather resistant since this would leave an easy path for rain into the box.

Thanks!

Martin
Evergreen Everlite 31REW pulled by a big red Ram 2500
17 REPLIES 17

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
martinandanne wrote:
My mistake on the math . . . This does seem to be a better solution.

Thanks

Martin
A pair of 6 volts is the most popular choice... And for good reasons. As already mentioned, their footprint. They will fit in most TTs stock A frame mount locations with no modififcations. They can be had very reasonable at Costco or Sams. They store a lot of AH. And they are true deep cycle batteries, which gives then a loooong lifespan.
Simply put: The best bang for the buck for most people.

Of course those with special requirements may look to other designs such as AGMs, but those are in the minority.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
martinandanne wrote:

Thanks

Martin
A pair of 6 volts is the most popular choice... And for good reasons. As already mentioned, their footprint. They will fit in most TTs stock A frame mount locations with no modififcations. They can be had very reasonable at Costco or Sams. They store a lot of AH. And they are true deep cycle batteries, which gives then a loooong lifespan.
Simply put: The best bang for the buck for most people.

Of course those with special requirements may look to other designs such as AGMs, but those are in the minority.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

martinandanne
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks

Martin

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
martinandanne wrote:
I might go with the idea of using 6V batteries. Wiring up four of them I could get the same results as the two 12V I was contemplating.

Four? :h A 12 volt G31 will typically be 20 Hr rated @ ~ 110 AH so two wired in parallel would offer ~ 220 AH. Likewise a 6 volt GC-2 would typically be 20 Hr rated @ ~ 220 AH so TWO wired in series would offer ~ 220 AH. The advantage to GC-2s is their footprint - about the same as a 12 volt G24, just a bit taller. Since you already have one 12 volt battery just stick it in the back of the truck as a spare should you need it. If the profile of your rig's front wall dictates tilting the batteries for installation or makes it difficult to water flooded batteries that may be a good argument in favour of AGMs which can be tilted or even mounted in any manner that works best for you.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
I have a pair of 27's on mine and had to rotate one of them 90 deg to got north/south while the first one stayed east/west. Just cut off part of the angle iron on the bracket and added suports for 2nd battery . also added support under cut angle bracket.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

martinandanne
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. The suggestion to rotate the one box lid 180 degrees seems the most promising. I am going to get a pair of the boxes today and try it out. I don't own the batteries yet - they will be an upgrade to the single battery currently on the TT.

I had initially considered the PowerArmor box - but the design of the front cap of my TT relative to the position of the batteries makes this design unworkable - you can't slide the lid off without impacting the front cap.

I might go with the idea of using 6V batteries. Wiring up four of them I could get the same results as the two 12V I was contemplating. Except that the weight of the four batteries would easily exceed the weight of the two 12V batteries. I don't really want to add that much additional weight at that location.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

A better solution but also a non-solution if the OP already has a set of G31s. 😉

Not sure that he was clear on that.

Battery questions always seem to have multiple answers and options, eh?:)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
oldokie wrote:
Alter the rack so they can go in side by side instead of end to end.

Easy to say, often tough to do. 😉 With my current A frame setup I can accommodate just one 12 volt G27 or G31, maybe two 6 volt GC-2s end-to-end but I'd have to figure out a way to avoid the WD frame brackets, maybe elevate just above them. Every trailer is different, so too is the solution as to how many batteries of what size can be mounted where. 😉

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought they were kind of optional...
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

oldokie
Explorer
Explorer
Alter the rack so they can go in side by side instead of end to end.
2001 excursion 7.3 diesel
2013 starcraft autumn ridge 27bh

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I reverse the lid 180 degrees on one of my boxes and was able to get both batteries to fit in place.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Allbattery sells a variety of HDPE boxes.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Wanderingsine
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with my Jayco White Hawk battery boxes. I replaced them with a locking Torklift diamond plate locking box. Given the price of batteries, and I have lost one to theft, decided on a locking box.

I found a refurb on their site for less than $200. About an hour to install. The only challenge I ran into was re-routing the main power loom under the battery rack.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
Can you go with a pair of GC-2 (6v). NoCo makes a battery box for dual 6's (18"L x 14"W x 14"H) without any protrusions on the sides.

A better solution but also a non-solution if the OP already has a set of G31s. 😉