Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery question when towing

Fenderdude
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
Quick question, I have a KZ sportsmen 272bh travel trailer (bumper hitch) is it necessary to disconnect the trailer battery when it is hooked up to the tow vehicle? I just bought a new battery and wanted to be sure so I thought I would check with the experts!
Thanks
Fenderdude
7 REPLIES 7

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
westend wrote:
You need a battery that is wired and powered up on the trailer so that the emergency brake system can operate in the event that the trailer detaches from the tow vehicle.

Ford, Chevy, and Dodge differ on the way trailer wiring is enabled. Ford has a relay that opens when the ignition circuit is off. Some GM models require the addition of a relay or fuse into the distribution box to enable the charge circuit. Dodge, I have no idea.

+!

In fact, you will find that it is flat out illegal to tow it with the battery NOT hooked up. The reason is the brakes are supposed to lock up if you lose it on the road, and that requires battery power. The fines are hefty, as they should be. And I'll wager that your insurance company will refuse to pay for the damages if you have THAT accident and the battery is disconnected.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having a battery wired up in your trailer when towing is a DOT SAFETY REQUIREMENT and if your run-away trailer might cause some damage or worse when breaking loose from your truck the Insurance folks may have a field day with your claim if the battery was missing, not working, or disconnected, etc...

It definitely is part of my PRE-CHECKS before towing my trailers that have electric brakes installed.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Fenderdude wrote:
westend wrote:
You need a battery that is wired and powered up on the trailer so that the emergency brake system can operate in the event that the trailer detaches from the tow vehicle.

Ford, Chevy, and Dodge differ on the way trailer wiring is enabled. Ford has a relay that opens when the ignition circuit is off. Some GM models require the addition of a relay or fuse into the distribution box to enable the charge circuit. Dodge, I have no idea.

That makes total sense Westend, I appreciate the quick reply, I have the fishing bug and am getting ready!
Where 'ya headed?
My Nephew is down in Phoenix and I have a couple of fly rods going down to him this week.

BTW, no worries on leaving your F250 hooked up on the trailer. It won't discharge your truck battery if the key is turned off or in your pocket.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Fenderdude
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:

That makes total sense Westend, I appreciate the quick reply, I have the fishing bug and am getting ready!

Fenderdude
Explorer
Explorer
AirForceAngler wrote:
No. If you have the correct wiring on the tow vehicle, it will charge the battery for you as you're driving. If you do stop for a long time somewhere, you may want to disconnect the trailer so you don't run the truck battery down.

Thanks, for the quick reply, I have a 10' f250 so I am sure it has the right wiring as it has the two package.
I appreciate it.

westend
Explorer
Explorer

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
No. If you have the correct wiring on the tow vehicle, it will charge the battery for you as you're driving. If you do stop for a long time somewhere, you may want to disconnect the trailer so you don't run the truck battery down.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT