cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Question

drumming102
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 diffrent batteries on my trailer (Pictures of each in below link) 1 came from the dealer (the interstate) the other I believe is an older Cell Site backup deep cycle. It's sealed but I know nothing more about it than that. I serviced the Interstate today and topped off the cells but is there an issue running these 2 in parallel on the trailer?

How many AH is the Interstate and how many AH is the other (Looks like 90AH to me)?

My plan is to try to hold off on buying 2 GC2 batteries till next year if I can but the 1 interstate wasn't cutting the mustard by it's self. They do ok together but thought it best to double check with you guys to make sure it was ok.

http://imgur.com/a/fz8lg
2008 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 Keystone Passport 2920BH
11 REPLIES 11

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Just buy a marine battery switch that has '1,2,both or off'. hook that up a and use the first battery till the propane sniffer starts to beep ,then switch to other battery and take first battery to maybe a washroom area that has a plug outside or an electrical site and ask the guy politly,and put your charger on it . no one will steel it. Replace charged battery and it is ready ....easy.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

tshirtman
Explorer
Explorer
Hit Costco. Group 24 $72.99ea and they will take your old ones as cores.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Run them in parallel until they croak. No reason to treat it as a problem until it becomes one. Given a choice don't mix types or old and new. But since you already have them don't worry until they stop performing. The cost to replace will be the same then as now.

Not the best situation but the world won't come to an end either.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You're not going to hurt anything by using the two. You may lose some capacity in a battery because of the unbalanced nature of the two types but it should last for at least a year.

FWIW, I have two banks of batteries, one FLA and the other, AGM's. When in storage, the solar panel keeps them both charged at a setting that works for both.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if the one interstate isn't adequate by itself and when you add the other one it works, what is the big issue with using both? will the one cell site handle it by itself?
bumpy

RBPerry
Explorer
Explorer
As stated above, it isn't a good idea to mix batteries, and especially a wet cell with an AGM. If I remember right they will both charge at different rates and that alone could create you some problems. I would spring for new batteries, but that is just me.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
14.4 volts good for AGM's as a general rule; bad for interstates. Run what you got till they croak like others said.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen wet and agm run together. The owner didn't know anything other than run the genny to charge them and that's it. You dont have much choice. Buy new now or run wha cha got. If they croak, buy the 6's. Probably best to stay under 14.4 charging volts.

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
You want hurt anything, but want get the full power out of them. If it works for you go for it

babun
Explorer
Explorer
Bad Ju-Ju to mix different batteries into one parallel bank.
One will become a slave and one a master, and neither will perform up to their optimum.
Go here to check on your interstate specs......
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/content/product_info/marine_f.asp

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
drumming102 wrote:
I have 2 diffrent batteries on my trailer (Pictures of each in below link) 1 came from the dealer (the interstate) the other I believe is an older Cell Site backup deep cycle. It's sealed but I know nothing more about it than that. I serviced the Interstate today and topped off the cells but is there an issue running these 2 in parallel on the trailer?

How many AH is the Interstate and how many AH is the other (Looks like 90AH to me)?

My plan is to try to hold off on buying 2 GC2 batteries till next year if I can but the 1 interstate wasn't cutting the mustard by it's self. They do ok together but thought it best to double check with you guys to make sure it was ok.

http://imgur.com/a/fz8lg

Holy cow! You really have a poor situation there. You are mixing battery types.... The green battery is probably an Interstate battery ... a flooded wet cell type, and the Marathon is an AGM battery ... very different types. It is bad enough to connect an old and a new battery together but you are mixing totally different types. One of the problems with this is the lesser and weaker of the two batteries will simply pull the other battery down to whatever level it is. I don't want to spend the time outlining why this is bad practice.
Still, you might be able to make it through 2016 with these if you don't use them much... I wouldn't want to bet much money on it. Good luck.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad