cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Selector switches, best for tidy surface mount

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking for suggestions on Quality and durability for battery selector switches that can do individual or both modes and can be flush mounted so that only the dial face plate and knob are visible.

I've looked through a few so far on amazon, but nothings immediately catching my eye, as I would like to replicate the setup coveredwagon did in their unit now that I have a chance to do a proper ground up wiring job.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL
17 REPLIES 17

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
CaFordGuy wrote:
For the cleanest install with perhaps the shortest wire runs, look at the Blue Sea Systems remote control switches if you have two banks use two switches.

Only got the one bank of two group 31s, longest run of wire from the switches is six feet from where the switches go in to the dinnette seat compartments where the batteries are stored (Yes they are vented to the outside)

Geewizard wrote:
bigorange wrote:
RoyB wrote:
I have had good luck with the BLUE SEA Rotary Battery Switches. These are sealed to prevent internal arcing... Like the idea of the using good same length cables with ring terminals connection
Blue Sea switches and cables purchased from AMAZON...

Roy Ken

Agree. Very pleased with Blue Sea and they surface mount nicely.

+1

They are very nice switches, I ordered one each of the red and black M Series units, though I didn't realize they don't come with the bolt hardware for attachment, so I'll need to get some.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
bigorange wrote:
RoyB wrote:
I have had good luck with the BLUE SEA Rotary Battery Switches. These are sealed to prevent internal arcing... Like the idea of the using good same length cables with ring terminals connection

Roy Ken

+1
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

CaFordGuy
Explorer
Explorer
For the cleanest install with perhaps the shortest wire runs, look at the Blue Sea Systems remote control switches if you have two banks use two switches.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
bighatnohorse wrote:
A bit spendy:
https://www.hodgesmarine.com/blu1482-blue-sea-1482-120v-ac-rotary-30a-off--3-sources.html?gclid=Cj0K...https://www.hodgesmarine.com/blu1482-blue-sea-1482-120v-ac-rotary-30a-off--3-sources.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9b_4BRCMARIsADMUIypF1sv9oBcDW8n53E4aEDZbJlCIbaIE3jzeCSL06uBpPuh9uXZ2M-caAmAqEALw_wcB

Yeah, that's an AC Shore power selector with Generator detection :).

We're working in all low voltage DC 12 volt on this part :).

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
A bit spendy:
https://www.hodgesmarine.com/blu1482-blue-sea-1482-120v-ac-rotary-30a-off--3-sources.html?gclid=Cj0K...https://www.hodgesmarine.com/blu1482-blue-sea-1482-120v-ac-rotary-30a-off--3-sources.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9b_4BRCMARIsADMUIypF1sv9oBcDW8n53E4aEDZbJlCIbaIE3jzeCSL06uBpPuh9uXZ2M-caAmAqEALw_wcB
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the Blue Seas Selectors, is there any advantage in the E series over the M Series, other than a little bit more capacity?

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
AnEv942 wrote:
Most any of the battery switches that have protruding dial section would be easily flush mounted. Require making mounting ring attached to back side of wall, screwing switch to it from back side. Or if you don't mind screws showing just a spacer on back side (if panel not thick enough) between switch and wall and screw/nut thru all, like many marine applications.
I have the round Perko style, no ears, so would end up a bit recessed on 1/8" panel. Doesn't really lend itself to flush mounting. To flush mount it Id separate dial face label and knob, mount with shaft thru panel, stick label on panel reattach knob. Have to get creative on mounting spacer for no visible screws.

Is there a thread showing what coveredwagon did?

There might be, it was some years ago, and I got to take a look at it in person at a BBQ in Coverwagon's neck of the woods with budster and crew.

What Covered did was used two individual selectors so that he could select a battery for usage while dry camping while the second selector would be used to focus the charger on the depleted battery to reduce the amount of generator run time per day.

The way it worked would be if you set both knobs to 1+2, both batteries were connected to the house and the charger.

If you selected say 1+1, the charger would power the house plus focus charging on that battery. If you set it to 1+2, the house would draw on battery one while the charger's energy went solely into battery 2's charging needs, with no loss from usage loads.

If a battery failed while out, you could easily cut it from the system all together by simply changing what the knobs were set to.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:

Roy Ken

Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
JoeChiOhki wrote:

These seem to be primarily about charging isolation vs battery selection for usage.

On the KIT, I just wired both batteries together in parallel and hooked the +/- leads to opposite ends of the battery bundle to even their usage out, but I noticed even with that, the lead battery still took more wear than the trailing battery (I have two in the main house bank).

The new rig, I'm setting it up so that the batteries are only conjoined when the selector makes them so, allowing for me to cut between battery 1, battery 2 or both batteries at the same time for powering the camper when off shore power.

I could make use of one of these eatons though for controlling the charging process to the batteries coming from the trucks charge plug and 3-stage converter.

I think you are trying to complicate simple issue.
When you have house battery bank, you use it together. For decades I am using cars and boat batteries in my RVs, so almost all the time they are different age, different capacity.
What I observe is that when used, or charged together -those differences are not changing anything. They might if you leave different age batteries connected for long storage, but I never do that.
In my Sprinter conversion I have 1 house battery in the rear, close to inverter and electrical panel, when 2nd battery is under the hood, with almost 20' of cable. They are both wired together just fine and only for storage I pull battery clamps.
So what do you expect from separation switch between house batteries?
It will not give you more capacity for sure.
My 2002 Lance had 1 of those charging separators installed at the factory. Sure surprised me when I discover it after couple years of use. But Lance seems to be unique with upgraded charging cables.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Most any of the battery switches that have protruding dial section would be easily flush mounted. Require making mounting ring attached to back side of wall, screwing switch to it from back side. Or if you don't mind screws showing just a spacer on back side (if panel not thick enough) between switch and wall and screw/nut thru all, like many marine applications.
I have the round Perko style, no ears, so would end up a bit recessed on 1/8" panel. Doesn't really lend itself to flush mounting. To flush mount it Id separate dial face label and knob, mount with shaft thru panel, stick label on panel reattach knob. Have to get creative on mounting spacer for no visible screws.

Is there a thread showing what coveredwagon did?
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
I wonder why switch in the first place?
Battery separators like EATON are pretty affordable, come in 1-way or 2-way design, have connection for optional control light and emergency switch.
They make "set it and forget it" operation.
With switches there is margin for senior moment, even with young campers.

These seem to be primarily about charging isolation vs battery selection for usage.

On the KIT, I just wired both batteries together in parallel and hooked the +/- leads to opposite ends of the battery bundle to even their usage out, but I noticed even with that, the lead battery still took more wear than the trailing battery (I have two in the main house bank).

The new rig, I'm setting it up so that the batteries are only conjoined when the selector makes them so, allowing for me to cut between battery 1, battery 2 or both batteries at the same time for powering the camper when off shore power.

I could make use of one of these eatons though for controlling the charging process to the batteries coming from the trucks charge plug and 3-stage converter.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder why switch in the first place?
Battery separators like EATON are pretty affordable, come in 1-way or 2-way design, have connection for optional control light and emergency switch.
They make "set it and forget it" operation.
With switches there is margin for senior moment, even with young campers.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Blue Sea Systems can be flush mounted.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Look at marine stores...they have the 1-Both-2-Off switches.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV